British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn 2018..

3 hours ago, semion said:

Webby you have to admit you are a bit of an old moaner........ Ok I admit it, so am I. :D

I suppose we have all done a bit in our time, but not without cause...... 

1 hour ago, semion said:

But SL  is it really in the Promotions interest to finish early ?...... Surely the longer people are there the more they spend...

To me the idea of promoting is to keep everyone happy.   Prompt start;  good progress, Little hold-up with  Fans  involvement all the way,   A little bit of banter,  coupled with exciting races and the time would simple fly by.      Probably  minors racing after a short interval would keep some punters back.  to have a drink and a bite.  Everyone don't want to go home early.    The point being, when youngsters are at school the next day, they want to finish early and get home.   Hanging a meeting out is enough to put families off from coming next time....     We have to start thinking  of the bigger picture, instead of money being the end of all decisions...

Wouldn't it be better,  when someone enquired about the speedway last night , the reply was:  Yeah, it was a good night, exciting racing and we were home  by 9,  instead of  :   They dragged that meeting out,  we stood there in the freezing cold watching that bloody tractor go round and round, the racing was rubbish and we didn't get back till gone  half 10...   Wish I'd stayed in and watched the tele...       

Which reply promotes  a better picture........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, semion said:

But SL  is it really in the Promotions interest to finish early ?...... Surely the longer people are there the more they spend...

Or they don’t return to the next meeting if it’s a long drawn out meeting the bit that gets me is the lack of urgency to keep the meeting flowing by the promotion 15 heats is 15 heats if it’s over 90 mins or 120 or180 mins It’s on a Wednesday night with work the next day a 9-15 finnish would be ideal - and just maybe it might attract families with kids that have school the next morning . 

• Like 3

The thing ive always found annoying when visiting Kings Lynn is that the meeting always starts 15-20 minutes after the advertised tapes up time. Some have flowed quickly and others dragged on (often depending upon the dreaded RR). If you want people to be positive from the off then start on time.

Its a shame to see that the potential MDL side is also not returning this year. I always thought that it offered a balance and a little extra entertainment to those who were not looking to rush away after the main meeting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Buster did mention that the double headers were a financial disaster for the club so none of them this year! 

Surely we go into this year hopeful and with an open mind? 

Well that’s hardly rocket science to figure that one out - race the same club twice on the same night mmm not difficult really . 

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Indeed. Not sure what can be done about that unfortunately.

Just a suggestion put the start line on what is now the back straight. The riders would than be more strung out before they hit the sun. Not sure if it would make a difference maybe SteveHone could tell us. 

54 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

yJust a suggestion put the start line on what is now the back straight. The riders would than be more strung out before they hit the sun. Not sure if it would make a difference maybe SteveHone could tell us. 

The might be going faster when the hit the sun for the first time, by doing that.Either way they still have to ride 4 laps.

Edited by Bald Bloke

8 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

The might be going faster when the hit the sun for the first time, by doing that.Either way they still have to ride 4 laps.

The few times that happens is annoying,  but we have no control over nature .   Probably supply riders with tinted shades would lessen the hazard . Usually the problem only lasts for 4/5 races so  riders would only be affected  twice at most...      I'm sure thinking along them lines would be better than doing nothing....:wink:

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Indeed. Not sure what can be done about that unfortunately.

Put on a proper peak to the helmet for the first half of the meeting, instead of having the motocross ones that most have pointing slightly upwards. The sun has always been there at Lynn but don't recall big problems in the 70's and 80's. I would assume lots of riders these days don't drive their vans west to Somerset with the sun in their eyes!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

The few times that happens is annoying,  but we have no control over nature .   Probably supply riders with tinted shades would lessen the hazard . Usually the problem only lasts for 4/5 races so  riders would only be affected  twice at most...      I'm sure thinking along them lines would be better than doing nothing....:wink:

I remember just after Buster took over and was probably the first time I recall a sun delay. I was in the office when the ref called a sun delay,  Buster stormed in, in his best Buster Strop mode,  and vowed it would never happen again and he was going to get tinted visors for every rider so it didn't. Obviously tinted visors were not the answer.

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

I remember just after Buster took over and was probably the first time I recall a sun delay. I was in the office when the ref called a sun delay,  Buster stormed in, in his best Buster Strop mode,  and vowed it would never happen again and he was going to get tinted visors for every rider so it didn't. Obviously tinted visors were not the answer.

Tinted goggles are banned I believe