British Speedway Forum

Promotion And Relegation

the current state of the premiership i wouldn't be surprised to see teams actually want to be relegated .out of the mire created by too many foreigners pandering to Polish needs ,. definiitely wouldn't want to see a thriving championship club thrown in to the mire of Premiership and wind up closing because of joining the disaster

Me neither speedibee - you are right.

the current state of the premiership i wouldn't be surprised to see teams actually want to be relegated .out of the mire created by too many foreigners pandering to Polish needs ,. definiitely wouldn't want to see a thriving championship club thrown in to the mire of Premiership and wind up closing because of joining the disaster

Me neither speedibee - you are right.

Promotion and relegation almost certainly a non-starter. Many tracks rely on the local derby match element for their survival. To lose that facility, as has been commented previously, could lose clubs to the sport.

Opinions fine. Asking stupid questions and when the answer is obvious going off on one just makes people look like dickheads.

the obvious answer is as you say - obvious but the question perhaps had more layers than you initially detected or perhaps was intended by the asker

yes we know what the rules say but - really? It would be farcical

the obvious answer is as you say - obvious but the question perhaps had more layers than you initially detected or perhaps was intended by the asker

yes we know what the rules say but - really? It would be farcical

Surely farcical would be ignoring the rules, or making up new rules just before the playoffs?
  • Like 1

Surely farcical would be ignoring the rules, or making up new rules just before the playoffs?

I just want to know what the people claiming it's farcical suggest.

1. both scenarios are farcical - ignoring rules or making new ones up

2. don't introduce such an unworkable thing in the first place - just abandon the idea now thats what I suggest

3. OR - yes lets do it, can't wait, it'll be amazing

• Like 1

1. both scenarios are farcical - ignoring rules or making new ones up

2. don't introduce such an unworkable thing in the first place - just abandon the idea now thats what I suggest

3. OR - yes lets do it, can't wait, it'll be amazing

No. 2 Is how I see it too. It is unworkable and can we be assured that ALL promoters accepted this idea?

There is a simple reason why they would like the idea. It means an extra meeting that should be profitable!

There we have it.

I still would very much like to know what happens if one Team doesn't want to go down and the other one doesn't want to go up? Not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Do they just hold the Meeting, take the money from the Supporters and then - at the A.G.M. decide perhaps we had better leave things as they are? We don't want to force anybody to go up or to go down.

What would the Promotion/Relegation Meeting mean then? A total waste of time and Supporters paying for something that doesn't happen.

I'm only asking the question here. Any answers?

As I said earlier - interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

There we have it.

I still would very much like to know what happens if one Team doesn't want to go down and the other one doesn't want to go up? Not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Do they just hold the Meeting, take the money from the Supporters and then - at the A.G.M. decide perhaps we had better leave things as they are? We don't want to force anybody to go up or to go down.

What would the Promotion/Relegation Meeting mean then? A total waste of time and Supporters paying for something that doesn't happen.

I am sorry to say that you have hit the jackpot with that answer.

other than Glasgow I can't really think of anyone who'd want to get involved with the top league and even then they'd be giving up derbies galore and would they be welcome in the top league (even as I type this I've forgotten what its called) - they're miles away from most of the other teams

If Glasgow where to get promoted would they look to change their race night to avoid clashes with GPs and other continental meetings , would fans be as keen to turn up in numbers on a weekday evening , it would certainly affect the amount of traveling supporters attending meetings

There we have it.

Great concept but unfortunately never been successful. Given the additional 'conflicts of interest' they face today, it's a potential, pointless farce.

• Like 2

Great concept but unfortunately never been successful. Given the additional 'conflicts of interest' they face today, it's a potential, pointless farce.

Glasgow are only just viable at the moment with current crowd levels and with the overall lack of interest in speedway from the general public nationwide, I do not believe they would automatically get a regular crowd boost even if they do go up. They do have great owners with deep pockets but also good business sense and would be unlikely too throw too much cash away, if they see it's a lost cause. There is so little real difference between the two top leagues that there is no true "star" pull left.

It seems to me that history tells us that clubs go up and down by choice. It has little to do with where they finish in the league. An end of year meeting to decide whether this happens is meaningless.

However, if you want to hold such meetings between clubs considering going one way or the other, why not allow them to challenge a club of their choice in the other league and have a two leg inter league challenge? So Glasgow could challenge Leicester if they are serious about going up next year. Or King's Lynn could challenge the Isle of Wight

• Like 1

Guest compost

I remember with fondness the last real attempt to have promotion and relegation. Back in 1991 I was quite gullible and actually thought it would be a huge success. It reignited some end of season matches that otherwise would have meant nothing at Belle Vue - I recall relegation-threatened Eastbourne turning up at Belle Vue and not just lying down but fighting for every point - Andy Grahame had a 6 ride maximum even. I recall Hans Nielsen-led Oxford, facing the drop, in another end of season thriller at Kirky Lane.

In the end Swindon finished bottom and should have been relegated. They even sacked Andrew Silver for failing to arrive for their relegation four -pointer at Eastboure (I think it was). But they (Swindon) cried off, one of their gripes being that they'd have to close if they were forced to take relegation, so they were allowed a stay of execution.

The idea filtered out after that. But, even better than the Play-Offs, I enjoyed that brief fling... Oh, and that Arena Essex were more than happy to take their place in the top flight after sweeping all before them in Division Two during 1991.

The last attempt at relegation/promotion was in 2008 & 2009. In 2008 Wolves defeated Edinburgh for the honour of staying 'Elite' then the following year Edinburgh appeared so anti the idea of promotion that they lost 68-21 in their home leg (having already lost 33-57 at Belle Vue) - the idea was dropped that winter conference.

I seem to remember that in '91 Swindon didn't drop down as Berwick took the fall instead due to being 'under new management' and the rule was the leagues had to have equal numbers of teams (which also led to Mildenhall's acceptance for the '92 season to balance the leagues numbers). As you say relegation certainly didn't appear to hurt Swindon though.

maybe as a filler at the end of the season August ..lol instead of this farce they could have an inter league cup pf some sort , would be more interesting than this and any team who wanted a filler could be accommodated , last chance saloon for Poole to fiddle their way to a trophy

Edited by speedibee

maybe as a filler at the end of the season August ..lol instead of this farce they could have an inter league cup pf some sort , would be more interesting than this and any team who wanted a filler could be accommodated , last chance saloon for Poole to fiddle their way to a trophy

Well it would certainly avoid that embarrassing conversation at the promotion relegation meeting on TV........

"So tell me Kelvin. Does that mean that Leicester are now relegated and Glasgow promoted?"

"That's a good question......"