British Speedway Forum

10 Ride Maximum

Midland Red

Forgot this but it just came back to me in 1980 at the Abbey in the KO cup Gordon Kennett scored a full 21 point max and Kai Niemi scored 19points also.Those two scored 40 points between them out of a 46 team total , cant remember exactly maybe D.Allan would know.? Swindon rode Belle Vue a few times in the cup 1981 i think ????? Collins and Morton scored heavily Belle Vue were quite weak then they operated R/R for Derek Richardsson who was on a crazy average i think Collins got 19.?

I was there Sid and remember it well!

Personally I felt that when White City closed Gordon should have moved to Swindon...going back to Eastbourne was not in his best interests in my opinion.

It actually begs the question "Did certain riders stay too long at any one track and would have benefitted with a move to help progression?"

Chris Morton readily springs to mind and I recall it was discussed that a move to Coventry was mooted...certainly would have helped his gating...but came to ought.

Malcolm Simmons comes to mind because his move to Poole pushed him further as a World Class rider.

Edited by steve roberts

Forgot this but it just came back to me in 1980 at the Abbey in the KO cup Gordon Kennett scored a full 21 point max and Kai Niemi scored 19points also.Those two scored 40 points between them out of a 46 team total

Yep, I thought about mentioning that too, but you beat me to it!

Steve

I thought of mentioning this a few times but decided it was off topic. I guess you were waiting for someone to go off-topic too so you could mention it!

Hans' 12 point away average will, I suspect, never be repeated. It was quite a small league that year I remember, with half the season taken up by the League Cup. Even so, remarkable.

Never seen another rider of Neilsen's standard in league racing. Not even Mauger.

Mauger i believe was the better league rider and i believe he rode in a era when there were more top class no 1s and most teams had really good no 2/3 riders.Did Ivan average 11.74 one year but in later years that figure was changed ??? Nielsen was a great rider and at times in his Oxford career he took the mickey he was to good ((Apart from Erik who had his number).😜

Yep, I thought about mentioning that too, but you beat me to it!

Steve

My memory is good generally Chunky' but sometimes i have a few blank moments old father time EH 😂 Kennett was brilliant at the Abbey i think we should of signed him instead of Bastable i did hear Gordon won a veterans event the other week and looked good and is still very fit. Edited by Sidney the robin

Mauger i believe was the better league rider and i believe he rode in a era when there were more top class no 1s and most teams had really good no 2/3 riders.Did Ivan average 11.74 one year but in later years that figure was changed ??? Nielsen was a great rider and at times in his Oxford career he took the mickey he was to good ((Apart from Erik who had his number).

My memory is good generally Chunky' but sometimes i have a few blank moments old father time EH Kennett was brilliant at the Abbey i think we should of signed him instead of Bastable i did hear Gordon won a veterans event the other week and looked good and is still very fit.

Hans was the better all round rider (I would say that!) and his consistently good league form was way above anybody else over a number of seasons...including Erik. Gundersen was able to raise his game when required (as was the case in a number of World Finals) but when Ivan joined Hans' camp things evened out and counter balanced the 'Olsen effect'.

Hans was the better all round rider (I would say that!) and his consistently good league form was way above anybody else over a number of seasons...including Erik. Gundersen was able to raise his game when required (as was the case in a number of World Finals) but when Ivan joined Hans' camp things evened out and counter balanced the 'Olsen effect'.

I would say Steve, Nielsen up until 85 had riders who beat him regularly ie)Lee,Carter, Penhall, Erik, with others like Knudsen,Sigalos, Morton, Sanders Moran IVAN never had that only a handfull if lucky beat him.

I would say Steve, Nielsen up until 85 had riders who beat him regularly ie)Lee,Carter, Penhall, Erik, with others like Knudsen,Sigalos, Morton, Sanders Moran IVAN never had that only a handfull if lucky beat him.

I have to say Sid that when Hans joined Oxford in 1984 he was beating most opponents...he put in some great years previously at both Wolves and Birmingham but the seat of power was beginning to swing with the demise of Lee, Carter, Sanders, Penhall for varying reasons although I think that it's fair to say that Hans very much held his own against those riders when they met.

I have to say Sid that when Hans joined Oxford in 1984 he was beating most opponents...he put in some great years previously at both Wolves and Birmingham but the seat of power was beginning to swing with the demise of Lee, Carter, Sanders, Penhall for varying reasons although I think that it's fair to say that Hans very much held his own against those riders when they met.

Yes he did but Lee had a great head/head record against him which always pleased me just shows you if the 1983 version of Lee was around for a few more years what he might of achieved.?

Yes he did but Lee had a great head/head record against him which always pleased me just shows you if the 1983 version of Lee was around for a few more years what he might of achieved.?

A great shame regarding Michael Lee and his gradual demise although he did come back strongly for a couple of seasons at Poole and could have 'nicked' the 1983 World Title before it went wrong again during 1984.

Saw him compete against Colin Richardson when both as fifteen year olds put on 'demonstration races' at Cowley during the interval in 1974...Colin won if I recall.

Saw Michael make his international debut at White City in 1977 when England took on the might of The Rest of the World...England were too good for any one nation during that glorious period!

Edited by steve roberts

A great shame regarding Michael Lee and his gradual demise although he did come back strongly for a couple of seasons at Poole and could have 'nicked' the 1983 World Title before it went wrong again during 1984.

Saw him compete against Colin Richardson when both as fifteen year olds put on 'demonstration races' at Cowley during the interval in 1974...Colin won if I recall.

Saw Michael make his international debut at White City in 1977 when England took on the might of The Rest of the World...England were too good for any one nation during that glorious period!

I think Lee clashed with Ole in that meeting if i remember rightly.??

Could be right Steve i know Mike said on his dvd that he really had annoyed Ole and Ole said vaut are you doing Michael!!!! after that i think they became good friends.

Yes I remember now...the old brain cells...Mike ride under Olsen and couldn't turn due to the heavy track and dumped Olsen (I think that he picked up an injury?) who was less than happy with Lee at the time.

Personally never a fan of Olsen but that's another story!

Yes I remember now...the old brain cells...Mike ride under Olsen and couldn't turn due to the heavy track and dumped Olsen (I think that he picked up an injury?) who was less than happy with Lee at the time.

Personally never a fan of Olsen but that's another story!

I was a massive Ole fan even though he did stuff Ashby bigtime at Coventry once which i was not happy with.Olsen, Mauger, Simmons, Adams for me were four of the most stylish riders in history Olsen the way he rode made me a fan. Edited by Sidney the robin