British Speedway Forum

Workington V Ipswich 19/8/17

Can I once again thank workingtons Dan Moody for taking me on the centre green. What a top bloke. Thank you.

Ā 

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure meeting and chatting to you, it's nice to put a face to names sometimes!

Ā 

Well done to the tractor boys on a good win for them

Probably the most disappointing performance I've seen from the Comets at home all season, no inspiration from anywhere, thought at 29-31 we were as close as we were ever going to get and so it proved?

Ā 

No point going over old coal's we know where the problems are but have a manager completely incapable of sorting anything out, we've nothing to lose now and certainly nothing to gain from where we are so, why not just mix it up and see what happens, we can't be any worse but we certainly could be better? :D

Ā 

Pretty dismal crowd too and that has to be a major concern for the promotion and performances like this are not going to help improve thing's? :cry:

Ā 

Ipswich, very worthy winners, solid throughout and apart from King's blatant jump start in Ht1 deserved everything they got, determined, rode well, wanted it more than we did, four pts well earned, potential champion's........ possibly?? :t:

• Like 4

i still think sheff are the team to beat .

Ā 

all those meetings in hand and we still cant climb the table .

Ā 

MATT @ 2 .

Ā 

TY @ 5 .

Ā 

TJ @ 3 OR 4

Ā 

MASON @ 3 OR 4 .

Ā 

Ā 

just do it .

Ā 

any chance of getting rider number 13 in on a 2 point average as a guest .? almost as quick as you know who .

Probably the most disappointing performance I've seen from the Comets at home all season, no inspiration from anywhere, thought at 29-31 we were as close as we were ever going to get and so it proved?

Ā 

No point going over old coal's we know where the problems are but have a manager completely incapable of sorting anything out, we've nothing to lose now and certainly nothing to gain from where we are so, why not just mix it up and see what happens, we can't be any worse but we certainly could be better? :D

Ā 

Pretty dismal crowd too and that has to be a major concern for the promotion and performances like this are not going to help improve thing's? :cry:

Ā 

Ipswich, very worthy winners, solid throughout and apart from King's blatant jump start in Ht1 deserved everything they got, determined, rode well, wanted it more than we did, four pts well earned, potential champion's........ possibly?? :t:

Perhaps it's time for the promotion to sell up,can't say they haven't tried but it just hasn't worked out,the enthusiasm and excitement has vanished,they're must be some company out there who'd be interested with fresh ideas and a new direction, just to give a lift and spark the place to life,

My first visit to Workington this season thought the track was excellent, however were have all the fans gone? I remember when the place was buzzing but last night it was like a wake, it can't continue with that sort of attendances, Never rated Jackson as a TM he's just a Fan, but I suppose he's cheap, hope there's a much better for my next visit the Adam Roynon meeting as he deserves it

• Like 1

Perhaps it's time for the promotion to sell up,can't say they haven't tried but it just hasn't worked out,the enthusiasm and excitement has vanished,they're must be some company out there who'd be interested with fresh ideas and a new direction, just to give a lift and spark the place to life,

Ā 

But whom, that's the question?

Ā 

Thomas Armstrong's must have pumped thousands into Workington Speedway over the years, Laura Morgan, exactly the same so for some reason I dont think money is the problem the latter part of your post is where the issues lie, that's what we're not getting anymore? :cry:

Ā 

Throw into the mix the rain offs, missed weekends, clubs not wanting to visit "off schedule" and your halfway to losing your sport, once interest wanes through lack of activity it's very difficult to get it back it has to have consistency, which isn't always forthcoming? You can do nothing with rain offs, thats a given, but there should be no missed weekends due to poor fixture planning, missing riders etc, you have to at least "be seen" to be making an effort to keep the sport alive in people's eyes otherwise they forget you even exist? :o

Ā 

Something has to happen during the remainder of this season to keep the sport in the public eye, and, make it a viable proposition even for next year so we have to freshen things up now, change the team around a bit see what works, keep it interesting because if the remaining matches are just ridden for the sake of riding them with no real purpose attached this could be the end I mean, how much longer can you flog a dead horse? :unsure:

Ā 

Swap the team around and give the lads free reign to ride as carefree as they like, we maybe cant win anything now but, we could enjoy ourselves a bit more?? ;)

rule number 1 . .

Ā 

dont put dead people in charge of entertainment .

Ā 

its a bit annoying when you can hear a toilet flush better than you can hear the p.a. .....

Ā 

J, if you can hear that you need to move position, your only one step away from turning round to see who it was!! :D

• Like 5

a great post from the lord . a major freshen up is required for all .

Ā 

Ā 

once speedway burst the Ā£10 barrier , it was doomed .

Ā 

Ā 

if riders want to earn more money , get another part time non speedway job .

Ā 

stop bleeding the sport and the fans .

Ā 

enough is enough .

Ā 

does anyone think its time for some top guys to be ply their trade only in the so called top flight of the sport .

Ā 

once some top riders have moved up to the top league .

Ā 

we would not have this du,d/d situation with riders and young up and comong riders would get more rides in teams .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 2

Just had a look at the Comets web site. At the bottom of the first page, there is a piece entitled 'Latest Result'. It is dated 8th July, Workington 44 Sheffield 46. Surely someone could try to keep the information up to date. It gives the impression that nobody is bothered.

• Like 1

LL is right ... there needs to be regular speedway every week same day at the same time (rain offs etc the exception) so fans are used to just going to the speedway ... back in the day it was Friday night = speedway. Now it's "Ah there's none on this week" or ... "season is over now due to league position" .. it's a horror story :-(

Ā 

Such a shame ...

Edited by Olga
  • Like 2

a great post from the lord . a major freshen up is required for all .once speedway burst the Ā£10 barrier , it was doomed .if riders want to earn more money , get another part time non speedway job .stop bleeding the sport and the fans .enough is enough .does anyone think its time for some top guys to be ply their trade only in the so called top flight of the sport .once some top riders have moved up to the top league .we would not have this du,d/d situation with riders and young up and comong riders would get more rides in teams .

Totally agree. Maybe the answer is reduce the price to a tenner, go back to 13 heats and let the up and coming youngsters have the second part of the meeting with a Gt Britain Championship and every track holds rounds weekly until the end of August then the top 20 or 30 scorers make up two semi finals with a final held In late September to crown the champion who then qualifies for the Next seasons riders championship. Just a thought but I fear for the survival of many of the clubs and it may well be that circumstances force the powers that be to have just two leagues and regular weekly speedway if the sport is to come back from what must be amongst one of the worse lows.

• Like 3

well that means we've running, this seasons hopeless now.

Ā 

Agree with the second part but I wouldn't bet on the first with your money, not at this time anyway, I'll run the season through and see what condition we're in at the end of it? :)