British Speedway Forum

British Riders

What do you mean averages if your lucky enough to have a big average that must mean your doing well?

Very true - but what if said Average does not fit in to any Team - you are on the shelf.

That is what I was getting at. The Averages for Team building is, by definition, restrictive. You build your Team to an Average Total by fitting people in. Those who don't fit are out of a job.

Quite a few tracks hold training schools, Redcar have a few each year, Northside is solely a training track and Scunthorpe hold training schools and run amateur meetings throughout the winter.

Not so much as training days more practice days and basic riding skills the kids need taught by well known riders and on a regular basis not once a month and maybe any rider that gets a testimonial should be obliged to put some time in the following year to help the kids I think if any retired rider started a training school and took it around the country it would be full every time the NSS should be open a few nights a week for tuition/practice for riders what's the use of having a national speedway stadium and not using it to ifs full poteniol there is loads that can be done but it's the Ones at the top that needs to put the wheels in motion

Very true - but what if said Average does not fit in to any Team - you are on the shelf.

That is what I was getting at. The Averages for Team building is, by definition, restrictive. You build your Team to an Average Total by fitting people in. Those who don't fit are out of a job.

Ok tell me how a better foreign rider has a lower average than most British riders?

Ok tell me how a better foreign rider has a lower average than most British riders?

I wasn't looking for an argument. You asked for my reasoning - I gave it to you. I was talking in general, not specifically.

Averages can and do prevent people riding - that is undeniable.

• Like 1

Some of the Polish and Swedish tracks I seen on telly have smaller junior tracks on the inside.

Whats stopping Kings Lynn, Leicester, Somerset and others doing the same.

Some have certainly done that in the past.

Not so much as training days more practice days and basic riding skills the kids need taught by well known riders and on a regular basis not once a month and maybe any rider that gets a testimonial should be obliged to put some time in the following year to help the kids I think if any retired rider started a training school and took it around the country it would be full every time the NSS should be open a few nights a week for tuition/practice for riders what's the use of having a national speedway stadium and not using it to ifs full poteniol there is loads that can be done but it's the Ones at the top that needs to put the wheels in motion

Well you aren't going to get that and the NSS is quite near to dwellings and commercial buildings.

• Like 1

I wasn't looking for an argument. You asked for my reasoning - I gave it to you. I was talking in general, not specifically.

Averages can and do prevent people riding - that is undeniable.

About 15 years ago....it is a clutch of riders now at best – out with Joe Jacobs I am struggling to think of any other Brit who was left on the side-lines.

As I said in my post, there is an improvement. However, most tracks are restricted in when they can run. Any track near any kind of residential area will have the NIMBY's saying that they hate the noise & it scares their chickens or something. At Somerset, one lady even said that she had the shale coming down her chimney & she was almost a mile away. Planning for a new track at Haldon Racecourse near Exeter was halted first by the firefighters recuperation home almost 2 miles away saying it would blight recovery of firefighters & then some lesser spotted reed warbler or something would have it's nest disturbed & that kicked up a fuss.

Sadly it isn't as straightforward as you think getting time on track - may tracks only have planning for use once a week - what help is that?

In Hull, Boulevard a man wrote the council complaing that a stone from the speedway flew over his fence and hit him whilst he was watering his garden. He lived 3 streets and approx 1 1/2 miles away from the stadium. In the Craven Park era, a lady wrote several times to the council complaining the noise from 'all the fireworks at the speedway' (one rocket was let off to signify a win, no mention of the noise from the bikes or the PA), made her dog bark so she was unable to read in bed. But I defo see where you are coming from....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

About 15 years ago....it is a clutch of riders now at best – out with Joe Jacobs I am struggling to think of any other Brit who was left on the side-lines.

I only stated probably Averages would cost Riders places. As I said - I was talking generally, however even if it is only one Rider, that, at least proves my point.

I only stated probably Averages would cost Riders places. As I said - I was talking generally, however even if it is only one Rider, that, at least proves my point.

You said many British riders don’t have a team as a result of averages, that is patently not true irrespective of how sweeping and general the point was.

You said many British riders don’t have a team as a result of averages, that is patently not true irrespective of how sweeping and general the point was.

I must be more careful in my phraseology in future. :)

Quite a few tracks hold training schools, Redcar have a few each year, Northside is solely a training track and Scunthorpe hold training schools and run amateur meetings throughout the winter.

I run FREE training sessions on a Sunday lunchtime at Newcastle, and provide all the gear including the bikes, fuel, kit. etc. I have run it for 9 years now and produced some riders. Some tracks do make some effort.

• Like 3

I run FREE training sessions on a Sunday lunchtime at Newcastle, and provide all the gear including the bikes, fuel, kit. etc. I have run it for 9 years now and produced some riders. Some track"
I run FREE training sessions on a Sunday lunchtime at Newcastle, and provide all the gear including the bikes, fuel, kit. etc. I have run it for 9 years now and produced some riders. Some tracks do make some effort.

Hi that's fantastic I will come along Sunday and have a go should i bring my brain with me only I don't want all the gear and no idea

British riders need to have at least two teams to ride for financially and bike time is very important to progress there is British riders in the national league that don't progress any further and there is British riders in the championship league that don't progress and that's because of bike time and money and as long as there is better foreign riders to use British speedway will stay the same. British speedway only looks for good British riders when the World Cup comes along even the British team manager can't get his hands on any good brits Why?

I think it is a valid point - they may not be immediately as successful as more experienced foreign riders but if given an extended chance perhaps there would be development.

How does that tie back to the point being made - that was shown to be fade -that "many" British riders were without a team due to averages?

Edit: in fairness to TWK I think James sarjeant was without a team place at the start of the year due to averages. BUT like Jacobs it is likely that his place apply went to a 2pt Brit instead.

You could also argue that Ritchie worrall was without a PL place due to averages.

Edited by waihekeaces1

Edit: in fairness to TWK I think James sarjeant was without a team place at the start of the year due to averages.

In fairness I think James Sargeant was also without a team place at the start of the year due to his unfortunate habit of either moving at the start or touching the tapes so no team wanted to take a chance on him. :lol:

• Like 1

In Hull, Boulevard a man wrote the council complaing that a stone from the speedway flew over his fence and hit him whilst he was watering his garden. He lived 3 streets and approx 1 1/2 miles away from the stadium. In the Craven Park era, a lady wrote several times to the council complaining the noise from 'all the fireworks at the speedway' (one rocket was let off to signify a win, no mention of the noise from the bikes or the PA), made her dog bark so she was unable to read in bed. But I defo see where you are coming from....

Milton Keynes ,had complaints from miles away , the other side of the A5 , eventually the council turned up to a meeting with noise meters . as the weather was awful the promoter asked both teams to hold off warming up as the event was doubtful , the ref arrived ,meeting off , councillers packed up and left , not forgetting of course that elfield park was a designated noisy sports area on the local plan , any way next day more noise complaints , result was the complaints were seen as a vendetta and 25 year planning permission granted ,winner for speedway until the BSPA killed Milton Keynes ,by fining them for late starts poor track etc instead of helping terry cheney who was obviously out oif his depth , within a year the whole place was gone , well done BSPA/SCB