British Speedway Forum

Time To Scrap Doubling Up?

THE more people 'inside' speedway that I talk to the more I think doubling up will remain. The BSPA opened the flood gates and now cannot close them.

Would that be riders who thanks to doubling up are racing most nights of the week . Seems that particular Pandora's box is open until it contributes to killing the golden goose completely .

• Like 1

THE more people 'inside' speedway that I talk to the more I think doubling up will remain. The BSPA opened the flood gates and now cannot close them.

thats sad and really the end of British team speedway for me ,🙁 I think you need to get all the people on the "outside" who don't go anymore and show them to the bspa , maybe they will wake up Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

thats sad and really the end of British team speedway for me ,🙁

They'll be asking fans to double up next... if the sport keeps heading the way it is.

Speedway has for so long tried top repair a once-good inner-tube with another rubber patch.

The "Just get tonight's match on" attitude without a plan for the future will prove its downfall.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

They'll be asking fans to double up next... if the sport keeps heading the way it is.

Speedway has for so long tried top repair a once-good inner-tube with another rubber patch.

The "Just get tonight's match on" attitude without a plan for the future will prove its downfall.

Now that's great idea - fans doubling up! If the BSPA can somehow persuade BT to cough up money for televising speedway that money could be used for this re-juvenation scheme. 500 fans could be bussed to away matches with free travel and half price admission. A kind of pyramid income scheme for promoters that also makes the terrace look good to possible new fans. It is no more crazy than having used up all the Sky money for 15 years to pay over the top for the world's best riders to stay on in the UK.

LOOK, I'm no fan of doubling up either but the bread and butter riders cannot make ends meet without it and, for example, do the fans of Swindon and Berwick care in Nick Morris rides for two teams as long as he doesn't miss any of their own fixtures?

I hate the very thought of guests, etc but sometimes we have to face reality. Out of interest, if you had to get rid of either guests or doubling up which would you choose?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

It hardly matters wether we get rid of D/U or Guests because IF whatever the BSPA decide on and put before us, is less and less acceptable to the majority of fans out there ( as opposed to on here ) the fanbase will go on shrinking. How many tracks can cope with fewer and fewer through the turnstiles?

LOOK, I'm no fan of doubling up either but the bread and butter riders cannot make ends meet without it and, for example, do the fans of Swindon and Berwick care in Nick Morris rides for two teams as long as he doesn't miss any of their own fixtures?

I hate the very thought of guests, etc but sometimes we have to face reality. Out of interest, if you had to get rid of either guests or doubling up which would you choose?

Guests and R/R should go – widen out DU to accommodate wider squads so other DU squad riders can come in rather than guests and R/R.

i fail to understand how a rider can not make it pay on 50 meetings a year without guest bookings which is what one league with 18 teams would give and I'm not the only one who thinks this ,but more importantly the sport is losing about 10 fans a week because of stupid things like doubling up , I have sympathy with the riders I've been there I know the costs but when a suggestion is put to them about cost saving they gang up to rubbish it , I also know this I was one of them but you don't feel how heavy the rain is until you step outside
  • Like 1

Game over for me in that case....

i fail to understand how a rider can not make it pay on 50 meetings a year without guest bookings which is what one league with 18 teams would give and I'm not the only one who thinks this ,but more importantly the sport is losing about 10 fans a week because of stupid things like doubling up , I have sympathy with the riders I've been there I know the costs but when a suggestion is put to them about cost saving they gang up to rubbish it , I also know this I was one of them but you don't feel how heavy the rain is until you step outside

WHAT you say makes sense, although none of us know how many fans are actually being lost and for what reason each week (my own feeling is lack of continuity of fixtures and teams is the biggest reason) but many insist that there would not be enough riders currently in the top 5 of one track to fill all the places in an 18 or even 19 (Lakeside) set-up.

Guests or doubling up, if you had to have one which one would it be?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

The simply fact is that will be half the meetings current doubling-up riders have now and as far as I'm aware none are living the life on Riley on British speedway alone.

Unless you can come up with a solution to address this, I can't see how it is a viable option.

The simply fact is that will be half the meetings current doubling-up riders have now and as far as I'm aware none are living the life on Riley on British speedway alone.

Unless you can come up with a solution to address this, I can't see how it is a viable option.

if it's 50 meetings that's 2 meetings a week from march till October , how many more do they want ? They don't do 100 now

WHAT you say makes sense, although none of us know how many fans are actually being lost and for what reason each week (my own feeling is lack of continuity of fixtures and teams is the biggest reason) but many insist that there would not be enough riders currently in the top 5 of one track to fill all the places in an 18 or even 19 (Lakeside) set-up.

Guests or doubling up, if you had to have one which one would it be?

but fans are being lost and this should be no1 priority , guests but only for injuries or for no1s Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

Now that's great idea - fans doubling up! If the BSPA can somehow persuade BT to cough up money for televising speedway that money could be used for this re-juvenation scheme. 500 fans could be bussed to away matches with free travel and half price admission. A kind of pyramid income scheme for promoters that also makes the terrace look good to possible new fans. It is no more crazy than having used up all the Sky money for 15 years to pay over the top for the world's best riders to stay on in the UK.

Never before In all my life has speedway had as much publicity or cash flung its way... and never before has it been in such a state. The start of it was getting rid of the white helmet colour for that green on that looked yellow under the lights, just so that SKY could introduce betting was it not? How many programmes I filled in wrongly because of that. Then SKY dumped us as quickly as David Cameron skipped on out of Downing Street after last year's EU vote. Well... not quite as fast I suppose, and thank god we kept all those millions of SKY dosh eh?

Edited by moxey63

Doubling up! You can never eliminate guests, even if you limited them to young British riders or whatever, there would still be need for a substitute at times.

Doubling up at reserve only and for young British riders. Two riders share a position.

Neither the current DU system nor guests have any place in a so called professional sport.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 2

There are riders that don't double up and riders who fit in work alongside racing, so it shouldn't be essential.

• Like 1