British Speedway Forum

Time To Scrap Doubling Up?

Why has the sun delay just started in the last few years or so though? Seems like if a rider can think of an excuse not to ride they will. Perhaps some of them are in the wrong game?

Edited by iainb

Why has the sun delay just started in the last few years or so though? Seems like if a rider can think of an excuse not to ride they will. Perhaps some of them are in the wrong game?

Modern helmets usually have shorter peaks and they are actually higher up on some models, longer peaks would certainly help.

ianb..........Why has the sun delay just started in the last few years or so though?

I've had this discussion on Facebook and apart from the abuse that you get on there the answer is apparently due to the bikes being faster and unpredictable, plus years ago riders used to wear peaked helmets and tinted goggles. So that is apparently the answer and we've got to put up with it and stand around waiting for the sun to go down like it or not.

By the way thank you Jonny the spud for a nice polite answer. :)

No it doesn't so long as he never misses a Team outing for your Team (Apart from injuries, illness of course) to ride for someone else.

If he does ride for another Team when he should be riding for your Team - therein lies the problem. Can you trust the Authorities to abide by the Rules is the question I am asking. Unfortunately - I don't know the answer.

Alas, the incompetency at the BSPA knows no bounds, so it can never be guaranteed. A simple example is the Premiership Rider's Championship being arranged on the same night as three Championship league meetings.

• Like 2

I am not a regular in the way I used to be, but I had every intention of going to Belle Vue last Monday for the Rye House match.

On finding out that Chris Harris - always a favourite of mine - was going to be absent I decided to save my money.

How many hits can speedway keep on taking from the dwindling, disgruntled fan base until something is done about the catastrophic doubling up debacle?

• Like 4

I'm running a poll on twitter today to gauge opinion on doubling up/down if you would like to vote , yes it should be scrappped , no it should remain or only for British under 21s . Please vote and retweet 👍🏻@deanfelton1

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

I'm running a poll on twitter today to gauge opinion on doubling up/down if you would like to vote , yes it should be scrappped , no it should remain or only for British under 21s . Please vote and retweet @deanfelton1

I would like to Vote for it to be scrapped Dean.

I am not on Twitter and don't want to be.

If you could Vote for me, that would be great.

If you can't, I understand, but at least you know how I feel.

Ian.

I would like to Vote for it to be scrapped Dean.

I am not on Twitter and don't want to be.

If you could Vote for me, that would be great.

If you can't, I understand, but at least you know how I feel.

Ian.

cant vote on my own poll mate
  • Like 1

I've just done a rough count of riders , there were 114 riders who rode in the top 2 leagues this year and around 60 that ride national league alone ,one big league of 18 teams of 5 =90 riders needed (surplus of 24 riders ) + 2 under 21 British reserves who can double up to make the teams , this doesn't take in to account any foreign riders who would like to ride over here and there are some , it can be done and should be done and all those who say not enough riders I've just got cramp from writing all the names down just to prove it can happen

• Like 3

I've just done a rough count of riders , there were 114 riders who rode in the top 2 leagues this year and around 60 that ride national league alone ,one big league of 18 teams of 5 =90 riders needed (surplus of 24 riders ) + 2 under 21 British reserves who can double up to make the teams , this doesn't take in to account any foreign riders who would like to ride over here and there are some , it can be done and should be done and all those who say not enough riders I've just got cramp from writing all the names down just to prove it can happen

IF you can put 18 teams together with no doubling up, please send to me at phil@pinegen.co.uk. Would like to use in SS.

IF you can put 18 teams together with no doubling up, please send to me at phil@pinegen.co.uk. Would like to use in SS.

jeez Phillip I really haven't got that much time on my hands 😳 isn't that sort of thing what should be happening at bspa towers 😉 Do away with averages , teams can sign any top 5 but must include 1 Brit and the reserves must be 2 under 21 Brits Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

With all the complaints regarding guests and r/r and how this is 'killing the credibility of the sport' it was interesting to read some of the articles in the Berwick programme last night.

Twenty years ago this week Berwick were riding at home against Long Eaton. Their team featured 4 guests (at a time of 6 man teams).

There was also an article on Newcastle (last night's visitors) and their 1976 season. That year they beat Newport in the Inter League Cup. They were missing two riders, Tom Owen and Ron Henderson due to injury, so used r/r for both riders in that meeting.

In the next round they faced Hackney, whose number one Finn Thomsen refused to race because of the track conditions.

Ah, the good old days. Each one of these may have been isolated incidents, but I couldn't help but laugh at the coincidences. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Like 3

Doubling up isnt all the problem, it only becomes a problem when the riders two clubs end up racing on the same night, moving the Premiership to one night per week racing would at least help in reducing guests as at the minute no Championship club races regularly on Monday nights.

• Like 1

jeez Phillip I really haven't got that much time on my hands isn't that sort of thing what should be happening at bspa towers Do away with averages , teams can sign any top 5 but must include 1 Brit and the reserves must be 2 under 21 Brits

SOUNDS good to me ... sorry about my request but I thought you had written all the names down.

I don't agree. Fans don't care that a rider races for two clubs. Find me a single Swindon fan who thinks Nick Morris is less of a Swindon rider now he doubles-up for Berwick, for example.

What fans dislike is riders missing due to their doubling-up commitments. The solution to this isn't to ban doubling-up, it is to have better fixture planning and ideally fixed race nights.

Spot on post ..your find it hard to find a Swindon fan who gives rats ass that he rides for Berwick ..as you say people would only care if he missed meetings because of that . get the fixture list sorted out to avoid clashes and it's not a problem .

ONE night won't work ... need two

Ok Monday`s and Wednesday`s then, that would still have minimal affect between Premiership and Championship. Obviously there is league racing in Denmark that night but that doesn't seem to cause to much trouble as maybe it once did.

• Like 1

The results of the twitter poll were 588 voted 47% voted to scrap it , 26% to keep it and 27% for under 21 Brits only and it seems steve worral took offence to it 😳, what we have learnt from this is the poll was pointless , 36 gaureented meetings + play offs and 4s etc is apparently not enough ,fans want DU scrapped but the fans don't matter and are some what of an inconvenience and I'm a racist because I read tommy robinsons book , that also makes me an acholic and the president of the USA too then cause I've read Kelly Morans and Donald trumps books 😳

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1