British Speedway Forum

Time To Scrap Doubling Up?

BUT how does that solve the problem of riders double up? Maybe not a clash of dates but still riding for two teams.

I don't think doubling-up is an issue in itself. As I said before, how many Swindon fans think of Nick Morris as less of a Swindon rider because he is doubling-up for Berwick?

The issues with doubling-up is riders missing meetings, which can be solved by better fixture planning and ultimately fixed race nights.

• Like 2

Question - Does anyone on this thread still go to watch speedway live or are you already lost to the sport complainers.

No offence intended but it might help me understand some of your points of view.

I started going to Speedway as a young child in 1977, Leicester Blackbrd Road, on and off for a couple of seasons before getting hooked. When Leicester closed down at the end of '83 I started going to Coventry and got well and truly hooked to team Speedway during the Championship winning seasons of '87 & '88, in fact as a kid I'm not even sure I was aware there was a league until the Bees won it. Since then I've pretty much followed the Bees home and away, I also started following Long Eaton in the then National League, regularly at home and a lot of away matches when I could. Also used to pull in loads of individual meetings, test matches etc. and regularly attended Cradley Heath and Bradford on Saturday nights when Cov weren't riding and Sunday afternoons. Probably attended 60-70 matches a season

Since Cov have closed down this year I've probably been to about 4 or 5 live Speedway meetings, this despite living about 1 mile away from the Leicester track... fed up of joke teams, constant restarts, sun delays, pretty poor racing, poor viewing, double points etc etc etc

• Like 3

I don't think doubling-up is an issue in itself. As I said before, how many Swindon fans think of Nick Morris as less of a Swindon rider because he is doubling-up for Berwick?

The issues with doubling-up is riders missing meetings, which can be solved by better fixture planning and ultimately fixed race nights.

It makes the sport look ridiculous, it's bad enough when it comes on the telly and the fans are corralled into one little section to make it look full. Then Nigel gleefully tells the world that most of these riders are in two or even three teams! And that's before he gets to mentioning their overseas commitments. You can understand it more if it's an up and coming rider getting a chance at a higher level but that isn't usually the case.

• Like 2

Did people think it ridiculous that a cricket player might play for an English club side, an English county side an IPL side and a big bash Australian side?

And surely emerge commentator doesn't need to mention which other side someone rides for -it's when they are missing it may need to be commented.

Did people think it ridiculous that a cricket player might play for an English club side, an English county side an IPL side and a big bash Australian side?

And surely emerge commentator doesn't need to mention which other side someone rides for -it's when they are missing it may need to be commented.

We aren't talking about Cricket and they don't do that at the same time.

• Like 1

BUT how does that solve the problem of riders double up? Maybe not a clash of dates but still riding for two teams.

Next year if they manage to have different race days for the two leagues and avoid fixture clashes which will mean that each club from both leagues will have a full line up for every meeting.Then I do not understand this mind set it seems that its ok for a rider to double/ triple up for other teams overseas But not ok if he doubles up for a team that rides in the same country. If he does not miss any meetings for any of his teams what's the problem.

If its just a problem when a rider rides for 2 clubs in the same country then with this mind set you should be ok if he doubles up with a team from Scotland.

If a rider turns out for your team for every meeting what does it matter in what country his other teams ride in.

• Like 1

Next year if they manage to have different race days for the two leagues and avoid fixture clashes which will mean that each club from both leagues will have a full line up for every meeting.Then I do not understand this mind set it seems that its ok for a rider to double/ triple up for other teams overseas But not ok if he doubles up for a team that rides in the same country. If he does not miss any meetings for any of his teams what's the problem.

If its just a problem when a rider rides for 2 clubs in the same country then with this mind set you should be ok if he doubles up with a team from Scotland.

If a rider turns out for your team for every meeting what does it matter in what country his other teams ride in.

The leagues are British, Scotland is in Britain! (despite the wishes of Wee Jimmy Krankie).

• Like 1

No it doesn't so long as he never misses a Team outing for your Team (Apart from injuries, illness of course) to ride for someone else.

If he does ride for another Team when he should be riding for your Team - therein lies the problem. Can you trust the Authorities to abide by the Rules is the question I am asking. Unfortunately - I don't know the answer.

The leagues are British, Scotland is in Britain! (despite the wishes of Wee Jimmy Krankie).

Please comment on the real content of the post and not just the little jest I put in there thank you.

No it doesn't so long as he never misses a Team outing for your Team (Apart from injuries, illness of course) to ride for someone else.

If he does ride for another Team when he should be riding for your Team - therein lies the problem. Can you trust the Authorities to abide by the Rules is the question I am asking. Unfortunately - I don't know the answer.

if they can arrange different race nights there should be no clashes.There is more chance of a rider that has an overseas club having a clash.An eg K Bjerre missing from Belle vue tomorrow night due to racing in the Danish league.

Edited by B.V 72

Please comment on the real content of the post and not just the little jest I put in there thank you.

if they can arrange different race nights there should be no clashes.There is more chance of a rider that has an overseas club having a clash.An eg K Bjerre missing from Belle vue tomorrow night due to racing in the Danish league.

If you could substitute the words 'would definitely' in place of 'should' I would feel one hell of a lot better.

Imagine this scenario if you will - the Season is nearing it's end and there is a build up of Fixtures. Promoters in the Premiership decide in order to catch up on said Fixtures they need to Race on some off nights. Some of their Riders are riding for Championship Clubs on the night chosen - what then I ask?

If the Rules have to be bent - they will bend them. It is not as if it has never happened before.

Question B.V.72 - would you trust them?

If you could substitute the words 'would definitely' in place of 'should' I would feel one hell of a lot better.

Imagine this scenario if you will - the Season is nearing it's end and there is a build up of Fixtures. Promoters in the Premiership decide in order to catch up on said Fixtures they need to Race on some off nights. Some of their Riders are riding for Championship Clubs on the night chosen - what then I ask?

If the Rules have to be bent - they will bend them. It is not as if it has never happened before.

Question B.V.72 - would you trust them?

Nothing is set in stone. I don't know you might get the odd clash but its got to be a massive improvement on what we have now.As I have said people seem fine with riders riding for overseas teams but over the season I bet a good few of them have missed matches to ride for there other team.Jack Holder missing the 4s being the most complained about.

There's bound to be a few clashes here and there its the way things are these days.But racing on different race nights seem to me to be the best way of stopping clashes and still gives both leagues quality riders for the fans to enjoy.

Edited by B.V 72

Nothing is set in stone. I don't know you might get the odd clash but its got to be a massive improvement on what we have now.As I have said people seem fine with riders riding for overseas teams but over the season I bet a good few of them have missed matches to ride for there other team.Jack Holder missing the 4s being the most complained about.

There's bound to be a few clashes here and there its the way things are these days.But racing on different race nights seem to me to be the best way of stopping clashes and still gives both leagues quality riders for the fans to enjoy.

Fair comment.

I still have doubts though.

My comment was appropriate.

if there were set unchanging nights for the 1st league I would turn a blind eye to the current ridiculousness.

However it does need limiting

I can't believe I've written that - I hate guests and dd/du.

:t::rofl: :rofl:

I just hate anything in Speedway with the word 'Double' in it.

Double Up.

Double Down.

Double Points - the worst of the lot.

if there were set unchanging nights for the 1st league I would turn a blind eye to the current ridiculousness.

However it does need limiting

I can't believe I've written that - I hate guests and dd/du.

The way I am looking at it is that if they race on different nights and there are no clashes.Then there is no du/dd the riders are just riding in a different league just like the ones that are riding in Poland,Sweden and Denmark.

I think that with different race nights there will be no clashes and if fans get to see their full team every meeting just like there riders riding for a team overseas they wont give it much thought.

To me its the clashes, missing riders,guests, R/R that pisses fans off not the fact that there rider rides for another team.

...............ianb..............Since Cov have closed down this year I've probably been to about 4 or 5 live Speedway meetings, this despite living about 1 mile away from the Leicester track... fed up of joke teams, constant restarts, sun delays, pretty poor racing, poor viewing, double points etc etc etc

Unfortunately that just about sums up Speedway this season. I'm about the same as you, although a lot earlier at Blackbird Road and Long Eaton, then Coventry when Leicester closed in 1983. I haven't actually given up yet and still go to the Lions matches but sun delays drive me mad, along with constant re-starts. Every race up to heat 5 last week was re-run.

Sun delays ARE an important thing, imagine riding a bike with no brakes,

with three others around you

a solid wall on the outside

at 60 mph

while someone throws dirt at you

then all of a sudden you have to close your eyes.

Unless you've actually been there it doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 1