British Speedway Forum

Jack Holder And The (lack Of A) 9 Month Ban

But surely teams should be able to pick whichever four riders they want to for such an event s long as they are using their own riders.

If it were a league match then I would see your point, but Peterborough were still able to put out a winning side for this event.

One of the points being made though is that P'boro were advertising the fact Holder was going to be riding in the 4's. The public may well have been acting positively to the advertising (which is why P'boro advertised) but then got let down.

Surely if a fan is told someone is riding, they would expect to see that person ride (barring accidents and a few other emergencies). To do anything different is deceiving the paying fan out of what they paid for.

• Like 4

Going forward cases such as these may have serious implications for those riders needing visas. It is the UK authorities granting these visas to allow riders to live here. I can imagine the UKVI taking a dim view on proceedings. I'm not sure how many riders from outside the UK gain access to European leagues without having a UK visa. Hancock maybe? Could see that number increasing if the UKVI start to refuse visas based on lack of appearances for UK teams.

Having a UK visa only affects the UK. If you have a UK visa it doesn't necessarily mean you are free to ride in europe, although their work visa restrictions seem to be less restrictive than ours. Similarly being refused a visa or breaking visa conditions in the UK doesn't mean you will be refused as visa to ride in Europe. Indeed I seem to remember somebody's visa expired and he didn't meet the new criteria to get it renewed so he spent the season riding in continental leagues.

Again - the Supplementary Regulations state that teams in the 4s must pick their top 4 by MA.

This is the bit that people seem to be missing out. the regulations don't say anyone from a team.

What stinks to me as that nothing has been done about it. Maybe when it was said it benefits all parties, maybe that included the bspa, maybe they got a little sweetner to.

Its certainly going to cost my club and any others that I visited money, cos I won't be handing any more over, apart from one last one on Saturday, cos that's already been arranged.

Edited by baldyman

Ah ok, so he missed a league match yesterday. I didn't realise that. That's different.

This does put the rider in a difficult situation, but if riders want to ride Polish league on a Sunday instead of riding in lower league matches then they shouldn't be riding in the lower league.

• Like 1

But surely teams should be able to pick whichever four riders they want to for such an event s long as they are using their own riders.

If it were a league match then I would see your point, but Peterborough were still able to put out a winning side for this event.

The rules state that a team MUST use their top 4. Peterborough were promoting Jack Holder would be in the event. So why didn't he ride? He broke the rules that says, "Failure to attend, withdrawing (or threatening to withdraw) from a Meeting duly listed on the Official Fixture List:..."

He also missed a league meeting this week and will apparently miss one in the next few weeks at Scunthorpe.

Edited by SCB

This is the bit that people seem to be missing out. the regulations don't say anyone from a team.

What stinks to me as that nothing has been done about it. Maybe when it was said it benefits all parties, maybe that included the bspa, maybe they got a little sweetner to.

Its certainly going to cost my club and any others that I visited money, cos I won't be handing any more over, apart from one last one on Saturday, cos that's already been arranged.

Yet. They'll have to do something, even if it's just tightening wish washy rules so that it doesn't happen again. Going by Chapman's Sunday rant they hadn't benefited up to that point and will look less than toothless and incompetent if they don't act on their statement.

Holder will get away without a ban as his club gave him permission to miss the 4`s and the meeting at Newcastle last night, probably Scunthorpe next Sunday to race in Poland.

How many times, it doesn't matter. The rules don't allow a rider to miss a meeting, even with permission.

I think you have a very fair point here, but lets not forget Jack was given permission to miss meetings by his promoter, Chris wasn't.

As such, Jack can simply point to that.

If we are looking at blame in Jack's case, that must principally lie with the Peterborough promotion.

Having seen a Polish interview video of Jack given the weekend before the 4's it is my opinion Jack had already made his mind up he was riding in Torun match on 6th August - it's been posted somewhere he flew out on morning of the 4th - therefore Its my belief GED was covering up/trying to save his skin but what I cannot fathom is why! One rider is not worth putting the Club and himself at risk of punishment for. I have not forgotten the rumoured pay off but still not worth it imho.

• Like 1

Holder will get away without a ban as his club gave him permission to miss the 4`s and the meeting at Newcastle last night, probably Scunthorpe next Sunday to race in Poland.

They should adopt the Peter Waite approach . Few years back Berwick were due to race at Glasgow and Adam Pietrasko and Piotr Dym were down to ride in Poland . Waite gave them the option , ride in Poland - then don't bother coming back . Pietrasko turned up at Glasgow , Dym rode in Poland , Dym never rode for Berwick again .

Now Poland says jump and our lot says " how high ? "

• Like 7

They should adopt the Peter Waite approach . Few years back Berwick were due to race at Glasgow and Adam Pietrasko and Piotr Dym were down to ride in Poland . Waite gave them the option , ride in Poland - then don't bother coming back . Pietrasko turned up at Glasgow , Dym rode in Poland , Dym never rode for Berwick again .

Now Poland says jump and our lot says " how high ? "

True,Peter also gave Pepe Franc the same message a couple of times and he turned up for Berwick.Its all out of hand nowadays and the Promoters close ranks on it,because They will probably be in the same situation in the future.