British Speedway Forum

Rebels V Lions Mon 14th Aug

Cracking meeting, Scott Nicholls terrific and did anyone notice why Poole were wrong to sack Newman.

This is by no means having a pop at your comment cracking meeting, & I hate to say this, but from dashing back from Zielona Gora v Gorzow yesterday, I found this painful watching tonight

Any theories as to why the attendance was so poor?

It didn't look that bad to me, but I would have thought the weather forecast, M5 problems & 3 home matches, with 2 against Wolves & Swindon, might have put some people off (including me) when they could watch it at home

I really think that Jolly Jim shot himself in the foot in the post match interview. He didn't think that any of the riders were going anywhere (his words) and didn't therefore bother with the tactical ride as soon as the Lions went 10 behind. If that was the case and he couldn't see where the next potential strong heat advantage was, why did he not go for the 'black and white stripey hat' there and then? A tad harsh but could have won us the meeting. Overall I was impressed with the fight back and it seemed that everyone, including guests were up for it.

What was Lynch waiting for exactly ? Its not as if he had a Doyle or Lindgren to use in the next few heats :o

Pretty sure Peter Adams once said he uses the B/W as soon as his team qualifies to use it..

His theory being is if he doesn't then literally one race later he might not be able to use it again...

Even a 4-4 is a 'plus' to a teams' score...

'Quite' successful Peter Adams..😨

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Rebels got away with a point they shouldn't gave got. Fair play to the Lions select team for adapting to the track after a poor start.

Lynch should surely have used the tactical on Starke when he was off gate 1 in heat 7, even a 5-3 is better than a 3-3 as Bewley hadn't looked great all evening. Even so the Rebels were saved by the rain believe Leicester would have had the choice of gate positions in heat 15 by which time Nicholls & King were flying.

Two terrific rides. The best was Nicholls in heat 11, to stay behind the slower Riss when there was only one real racing line while keeping Lawson at bay. Wright in the following heat was almost as terrific. Newman in heat 14 also note worthy.

Unfortunately it didn't help either teams cause in the long term, dropped points for the Rebels who due to the recent poor form of Poole, the team changes Kings Lynn have virtually been forced into & Rye Houses lack of form all season had a sniff of a play off spot. The 2 points will do little help Leicester avoid the wooden spoon.

This is by no means having a pop at your comment cracking meeting, & I hate to say this, but from dashing back from Zielona Gora v Gorzow yesterday, I found this painful watching tonight

It's no good comparing the two, forget Polish speedway, we can't compete with their stadiums or their monies. British speedway is what it is....

But we can all try to make it better, that goes without saying 😀

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

An enjoyable meeting, where the only winner was POOLE ..... As for Jim Lynch, TM don't get an easier decisions than that....... So bloody obvious.....

Cracking meeting, Scott Nicholls terrific and did anyone notice why Poole were wrong to sack Newman.

cheering for kyle every race he was in what a mistake matt ford did . scott seems to be in a new lease of life at the moment . shame the weather beat leicester for the win riders safety first

Edited by ray c

An enjoyable meeting, where the only winner was POOLE ..... As for Jim Lynch, TM don't get an easier decisions than that....... So bloody obvious.....

Swap POOLE for RYE HOUSE and I'll be on your wavelength. ;)

Any theories as to why the attendance was so poor?

Because the weather had been poor and BT were televising it and like all televised matches it was going to be crap as they monopolise riders and heat times for commercial breaks. Had this been a normal meeting the referee would have pushed it along and heat fifteen would have been done and dusted long before the rain came. Sky/ BT = Crap run meeting !!! I never go when it's televised and I know a load of others of the same mind ! I can do without hype and start dollies, foam hand and the rest of the rubbish !!!

• Like 3

Because the weather had been poor and BT were televising it and like all televised matches it was going to be crap as they monopolise riders and heat times for commercial breaks. Had this been a normal meeting the referee would have pushed it along and heat fifteen would have been done and dusted long before the rain came. Sky/ BT = Crap run meeting !!! I never go when it's televised and I know a load of others of the same mind ! I can do without hype and start dollies, foam hand and the rest of the rubbish !!!

Great honest post, agree totally with you

It's no good comparing the two, forget Polish speedway, we can't compete with their stadiums or their monies. British speedway is what it is....

I've seen loads of Polish meetings - doesn't matter who the riders are they have just as many dull as dishwater meetings as anywhere else. Gdansk on monday was gash.

This one finished much earlier than I remember TV meetings before, which used to go on until 9.30. GPs for me are really slow once it gets to the semi-final stages from a TV perspective but if you're there it's fine.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 2

Racing started about 7:45 and 14 heats were over by 9:05.....thats a pretty slick run meeting by todays standards.

Loads of moans when a meeting takes well over 2 hours, and moans when it done in 1hour 20min.

And I expect BT (or anyone) to have adverts, what do you think pays for the televised speedway other then companies paying to advertise during a program.

• Like 5