British Speedway Forum

Bt Sport Coverage

One clear confirmation of the continued BT deal is clubs have the BT sport logo on race suits and team wear. For example when Poole posted picture of Sundstrum wearing a 2018 Pirates replica race shirt which is big BT Logo on it and having seen the Leicester ones again featuring BT sport.

its just a case of they go public with the deal I have a feeling it will be around start of February 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, flagrag said:

One clear confirmation of the continued BT deal is clubs have the BT sport logo on race suits and team wear. For example when Poole posted picture of Sundstrum wearing a 2018 Pirates replica race shirt which is big BT Logo on it and having seen the Leicester ones again featuring BT sport.

its just a case of they go public with the deal I have a feeling it will be around start of February 

So Thursday then?! :)

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T understand the silence but all the signs are that BT will cover the PL in 2018 ....

for me - a highlights package would be best - 3 matches a week

and keep schtum about riders riding for 2 teams! Oh and riders appearing for their rivals.

• Like 2

Interesting article in the Daily Mail today that BT is preparing to give up their right to show Premier League football due to losing over 5000 subscribers as a result of having to raise prices to the customer to pay for it. Though they will be bidding in this years auction  for future rights,  they said they wouldn't go beyond the price they thought it was worth to BT, and that BT would still succeed without showing the Premier League.    If this happens might it mean that more money could be available to spend on the other sports in their portfolio?

39 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Interesting article in the Daily Mail today that BT is preparing to give up their right to show Premier League football due to losing over 5000 subscribers as a result of having to raise prices to the customer to pay for it. Though they will be bidding in this years auction  for future rights,  they said they wouldn't go beyond the price they thought it was worth to BT, and that BT would still succeed without showing the Premier League.    If this happens might it mean that more money could be available to spend on the other sports in their portfolio?

There was also a comment made today on the sports news that sky had also had a lot of customers jack in there football channels as well.

Sky are fully aware of a loss to sport subscriber numbers and action is being taken to try and combat this.

Over the next couple of years there will be quite a few big changes in UK sport broadcasters to try to keep out foreign competition e.g Netflix,Amazon,BEIN sports and Canal + 

It is has already been announced that from late 2018-19 Sky sports and BT will wholesale each other’s channels to subscribers.

Getting back more on topic with I am hearing a higher production budget that coverage can be improved with more camera angles and production staff to improve the output.

Dont get me wrong Steve and the team did amazing job last year on such a small budget but it did show at times. It’s interesting that it has been mentioned on here that we may get same amount of meetings but over a longer period that will entail some quite big gaps with no tv meetings which armchair fans will not appreciate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flagrag said:

. It’s interesting that it has been mentioned on here that we may get same amount of meetings but over a longer period that will entail some quite big gaps with no tv meetings which armchair fans will not appreciate 

If it's true that there will only be the same number of matches televised then I am disappointed. Now, just one small point, why do we have to divide speedway supporters into those who attend (presumably goodies) and 'armchair supporters' (presumably baddies). Isn't it possible to do both?  I certainly intend to to this year now I have the chance. Am I alone? 

I fully endorse the comments about the quality of coverage. Having spent a few years trying to broadcast speedway on a very minimal budget I'm aware of how resourceful you have to be to compensate. You could see the rough edges in 2017 but I'm sure in less expert hands it would have been even starker.

Now flagrag's involvement in the modern day industry will hopefully confirm, the whole area of sports TV is entering a very interesting period. Sky overbid for Premiership football and clearly BT are seeing that their occasional matches perhaps also carry too heavy a price. 

The key difference coming up is that traditional, channel-based and schedule-based TV is under direct attack from legal streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. So far BEIN Sport (Al Jazeera) and Canal+ (known to speedway fans as C-More in Sweden and NSport+ in Poland) have had minimal involvement here but that could well change. Sky will also soon be under the control of Disney rather than Murdoch. The whole industry is in flux again.

It could be a very apt time for a sport to show that it is a value-for-money supplement to a network's sports offering. It could be very important that we have another excellent year of speedway on TV. I do so hope we do.

BSPA need to just accept any deal that is offered right now even if BT don't want to pay anything for speedway coverage because right now British Speedway needs to sort itself out so accept the free advertising they will get from BT Sport and get our product in order from top to bottom then hopefully in that year and proven speedway has its house in order then go for a paid TV deal and by then other companies might be interested.

Premier Sports sister channel Freesports would be perfect for Speedway, British Basketball League is now on their channel and no doubt this will boost the sport and help more people through doors over next couple of seasons.