British Speedway Forum

Bt Sport Coverage

I think you're being too specific in saying that Swindon and Wolves reaped the benefits because they had SGP riders. When thinking back, Both Freddie and Jason were in the teams at the start of the season, but it wasn't until the promoters made changes lower down the order did both teams start winning regularly.

Of cause GP riders are important, but so are the rest of the team. It is only when you are winning does the crowd increase, and that would happen whether they were GP riders or not. Belle Vue is a prime example of that.......

At the end of the day the costs have to be met . If clubs can afford these GP riders, then go for it. It not then they have to cut the material to suit.

But surely if you a league with say five of the eight teams with a GP rider in their team, and the others without a big hitter,

how will that work, oh yes the teams with the big hitters will be in the playoffs.

Coincidence, probably, but the only gamble picking Doyle was his injuries..... Like you, we took that gamble on a GP rider with the inflated averages knowing they were only counted when the teams were being assembled. But our GP rider was crap. along with others who thought all you had to do was turn up. Without doubt our best riders were those of lesser standings, who rode their hearts out everytime...

Maybe Holder was a disappointment, but if you'd kept him in the side King's Lynn would probably have been in the play-offs too instead of struggling to stay away from the bottom.

The only team in the top four without a GP rider would then have been Belle Vue - who had a rider who has qualified for next year's GP.

For those who may be interested, BT Sport's Natalie Quirk will be the guest of the NSSC this Wednesday evening (15th Nov) 8pm start.

Everybody is welcome with a £3 entry fee for non-members. All money raised goes to the GB Young Lions.

Come and enjoy an evening in Natalie's company and meet up with some familiar faces.

The venue is;

The Brandon Club

Main Street

Brandon

Coventry

CV8 3HW

For all details; https://www.nuneatonspeedwaysupportersclub.co.uk

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Another coffin nail hammered in

If they are that tight I cant imagine too many paying for subscription tv....

i personally would think a 'Match of the Day' type production would be the way to go, highlights from the previous weeks action maybe... :unsure:

Serious question, but what exactly are the "highlights" of speedway? We don't have goals, knockouts, touchdown etc. Would you show the best heat from each meeting? That doesn't exactly articulate the balance of a meeting, in the same way showing the goals from both teams shows the ebb and flow of a football match.

Serious question, but what exactly are the "highlights" of speedway? We don't have goals, knockouts, touchdown etc. Would you show the best heat from each meeting? That doesn't exactly articulate the balance of a meeting, in the same way showing the goals from both teams shows the ebb and flow of a football match.

bit of a strange question to be honest... what do you think constitutes to 'highlights'..?

Why do you think it should be a race, for me it may be 4 or 5 heats from the whole weeks matches including maybe ' a day in the life' of certain riders throughout the season... which in turn would fill an hour a week.

That'll keep the armchair supporters happy, save them having to pay their entrance money at the turnstiles

Many us live many miles from a speedway track and others have work commitments. Myself I fall in to both categories,can and only get to about 8 meetings a year TV just wets the appitipe for the real thing.

• Like 1

Five million households receive BT Sport. I'm not sure how many people go to speedway on a weekly basis, but I'd guess there is some potential to attract new fans there.

Some are armchair fans now because they've lost their local track, not everyone has access to transport for further afield.

• Like 2