British Speedway Forum

Newcastle Diamonds Vs Edinburgh Monarchs Sgbc 30th July 2017 6.30pm

When IRR was introduced was it not done so to cover riders injured through no fault of their own to compensate teams having to use Fast Track Reserves who the powers that be did not want to go up against top riders. I presume however that this is no longer the case and can be used for any injury even if it the injured riders fault. I ask this in the light of Sam Master's rides being covered when it states in the referee's programme that he was DQ'd in heat one after a crash that was deemed to be his own fault.

The rule was never anything to do with whose fault it was. I think it was first introduced because fast-track reserves were not strong enough to cover, that's quite right, but this year it is effectively a new rule covering any rider injured prior to his third ride, in a team not already using r/r. It's one of the better rules of recent times and prevents a match being spoilt by an injury. It could be open to a bit of abuse but I don't think it has been so far.

• Like 3

The rule was never anything to do with whose fault it was. I think it was first introduced because fast-track reserves were not strong enough to cover, that's quite right, but this year it is effectively a new rule covering any rider injured prior to his third ride, in a team not already using r/r. It's one of the better rules of recent times and prevents a match being spoilt by an injury. It could be open to a bit of abuse but I don't think it has been so far.

Thank you

BB

Well this match did not provide us with exciting racing but with the Monarchs holding us close the last couple of heats became exciting. Heat 14 Ludde won it with Hoppy third. These guys won the match for Newcastle as it was unimportant what would happen in heat 15. We won the match and Monarchs picked up a point.

Hopefully Sam Masters, Robert Lambert and Steve Worrall will be ok after their falls. The diamonds pair Robert and Steve were riding in Poland on saturday so perhaps they were tired, well I would have been!!

• Like 1

Well this match did not provide us with exciting racing but with the Monarchs holding us close the last couple of heats became exciting. Heat 14 Ludde won it with Hoppy third. These guys won the match for Newcastle as it was unimportant what would happen in heat 15. We won the match and Monarchs picked up a point.

Hopefully Sam Masters, Robert Lambert and Steve Worrall will be ok after their falls. The diamonds pair Robert and Steve were riding in Poland on saturday so perhaps they were tired, well I would have been!!

Robert was clearly battered and bruised and Stevie had bike issues most of the night, which is why Ludde and Robbo were in heat 15.

Robert was clearly battered and bruised and Stevie had bike issues most of the night, which is why Ludde and Robbo were in heat 15.

Well Robbo was, Ludde was only in it for two bends that got p****d off when Wells lifted infront of him stopping his run and then just coasted around at the back. Good win by the Diamonds.

Well Robbo was, Ludde was only in it for two bends that got p****d off when Wells lifted infront of him stopping his run and then just coasted around at the back. Good win by the Diamonds.

When he came past me on bend 4, his bike sounded awful, but I'm no expert, didn't sound right, but it might have just coughed at that one moment... I was stood near the front too, so I was kinda at his bike level...

Also just want to say what a pleasure it was to get to watch Robbo take on Brough Park again... Alfie must feel amazing, he's been waiting for kevlars for weeks and Robson gets his straight away :P

I thought the meeting had plenty of exciting racing... Especially watching Ben Hopwood keeping Erik Riss and others behind him, I'm really starting to think he's one of my favourite Diamonds this year... 100% trier from start to finish, I love that attitude

• Like 1

When he came past me on bend 4, his bike sounded awful, but I'm no expert, didn't sound right, but it might have just coughed at that one moment... I was stood near the front too, so I was kinda at his bike level...

Also just want to say what a pleasure it was to get to watch Robbo take on Brough Park again... Alfie must feel amazing, he's been waiting for kevlars for weeks and Robson gets his straight away :P

I thought the meeting had plenty of exciting racing... Especially watching Ben Hopwood keeping Erik Riss and others behind him, I'm really starting to think he's one of my favourite Diamonds this year... 100% trier from start to finish, I love that attitude

Very true and hopefully he will get better, I felt like he was just going through the motions on Sunday as well, always a pleasure to watch around Brough. Hopefully Steve can get his bikes sorted and he enjoys the arrival of his new little one and Ruthless can get some rest and recover from a number of big crashes he has had in a few weeks.

Very true and hopefully he will get better, I felt like he was just going through the motions on Sunday as well, always a pleasure to watch around Brough. Hopefully Steve can get his bikes sorted and he enjoys the arrival of his new little one and Ruthless can get some rest and recover from a number of big crashes he has had in a few weeks.

Maybe Robert should take a week off... Although that might get him the sack at KL... :o

Maybe Robert should take a week off... Although that might get him the sack at KL... :o

Yes it probably would but KL should be helping Robert and so should BV be helping Steve Worrall. The lads are here, there and everywhere riding for the Toon, KL and BV and also for England.The amount of traveling they do would tire the fittest of us but they are doing it with knocks and bruises and managing to ride speedway as well. They most probably love it but someone needs to slow them down a bit and make them take a bit of a rest.

• Like 1

One thing I will say about Mike7164 is he is a great supporter and tells it like it is. One thing I would like to say to George is tell your team not to be so bloody ignorant I was ay Peterboriygh with my mate who had not seen the Diamonds since 1969. After we had beaten Peterborough, the team came round on the victory lap and seeing our big Newcastle Diamonds flag being hoisted high with pride by me and my mate...never even waved...ignorant swines!!! My mate was absolutely livid.

• Like 2

I think he was more than a bit pissed off. I was on the Pits gate and we could see the violent locker in the air by Wells, and Ludde had to depart quick as if he hadn't both of them would have been seriously injured. It was frightening to watch from the gate as Wells either deliberately or accidently reared and swayed toward the fence, closing the gap that Ludde was about to use to pass Wells. I think he got a hell of a shock, lost his speed and realised he was out of contention. Sensibly he careered around the back just in case someone came off and he would get a point.

Edited by Tsunami

I think he was more than a bit pissed off. I was on the Pits gate and we could see the violent locker in the air by Wells, and Ludde had to depart quick as if he hadn't both of them would have been seriously injured. It was frightening to watch from the gate as Wells either deliberately or accidently reared and swayed toward the fence, closing the gap that Ludde was about to use to pass Wells. I think he got a hell of a shock, lost his speed and realised he was out of contention. Sensibly he careered around the back just in case someone came off and he would get a point.

that is such a reasonable description of what happened (IMO), but to others it might have looked just like 'he couldn't be aarst',,, maybe his underwear was uncomfortable ;)

• Like 1

Yes it probably would but KL should be helping Robert and so should BV be helping Steve Worrall. The lads are here, there and everywhere riding for the Toon, KL and BV and also for England.The amount of traveling they do would tire the fittest of us but they are doing it with knocks and bruises and managing to ride speedway as well. They most probably love it but someone needs to slow them down a bit and make them take a bit of a rest.

The KL sacking thing was a joke, Robert and Steve are probably helped more by their PL clubs than anywhere else... Even Tai took a rest a few years ago, so it's not like they'd show weakness or whatever... Robert especially with all his knocks needs a break... It'd do him the world of good probably...

I don't think what Wells did was deliberate... No rider would purposely put them and another into a situation where they could potentially get hurt... He was having problems with his damper on the start line... Maybe that still wasn't working properly and he hit a rut and his bike got fired towards the fence because what little suspension a speedway bike has didn't absorb the impact... they were both lucky to stay on from my angle and fair play to both of them for completing the 4 laps...

that is such a reasonable description of what happened (IMO), but to others it might have looked just like 'he couldn't be aarst',,, maybe his underwear was uncomfortable ;)

The people who complain clearly have never rode a speedway bike, full tilt into a bend with 3 other riders... Especially at the tight bends of Brough, that sh*t is scary...

Edited by Dandelion

The KL sacking thing was a joke, Robert and Steve are probably helped more by their PL clubs than anywhere else... Even Tai took a rest a few years ago, so it's not like they'd show weakness or whatever... Robert especially with all his knocks needs a break... It'd do him the world of good probably...

I don't think what Wells did was deliberate... No rider would purposely put them and another into a situation where they could potentially get hurt... He was having problems with his damper on the start line... Maybe that still wasn't working properly and he hit a rut and his bike got fired towards the fence because what little suspension a speedway bike has didn't absorb the impact... they were both lucky to stay on from my angle and fair play to both of them for completing the 4 laps...

The people who complain clearly have never rode a speedway bike, full tilt into a bend with 3 other riders... Especially at the tight bends of Brough, that sh*t is scary...

He had a front spoke come loose, and Alan on the start gate was trying to temporary fix it with him. I understand that you could have thought it was his damper, but it was a spoke and, YES I would hope it wasn't deliberate. i

He had a front spoke come loose, and Alan on the start gate was trying to temporary fix it with him. I understand that you could have thought it was his damper, but it was a spoke and, YES I would hope it wasn't deliberate. i

Ahh, my friend said that Roy said over the speakers it was a damper, the speakers aren't very good on the fourth bend (despite standing right at the front about 10 feet away from one) as none of them point towards the crowd there (thankfully) or else we'd have to listen to the garbage called 'chart music' all meeting long...

I would put money on the fact it wasn't deliberate, Ricky Wells probably crapped himself...

So what's his excuse for all the other times he does that

He rarely does it... Not to the extent he did it in Heat 15 anyway... Sometimes he looks slow, but I don't think it's down to effort...

So who deliberately pulls a violent locker in the air, rears and sways towards the fence and at the same time hopes the rider behind will take evasive action??

Or was it just the ruts in the track?

No one in their right mind, it was one person saying one passing comment, I think it was a mistake/rider error... Whether it was ruts in the track or he picked up a lot of grip... He was tight coming out of the bend so maybe there was a lot of grip down low...

• Like 1

So who deliberately pulls a violent locker in the air, rears and sways towards the fence and at the same time hopes the rider behind will take evasive action??

Or was it just the ruts in the track?

It does happen sometimes entering a bend and then putting the bike down to thwart the rider alongside them.

Nowt to do with ruts, you will be disappointed to hear. It was the dirt which was deep and he opened the throttle and picked up unexpected drive.

I was there on Sunday, and my first thought was whether the referee would have considered excluding Wells for dangerous riding. He was clearly out of control and forced 2 riders to take avoiding action effectively ruining their race.

• Like 1