British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

13 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Good that he's looking at keeping Richie, I think a more in depth 1-5 is the better way to go than having a big hitter as how committed would riders like that be especially when practice in Poland is more appealing to them than UK racing!!

If practice is more appealing in Poland due to, I presume, not wanting to upset the 'geese that are laying their golden eggs', then surely it now makes even more sense for British Speedway to now "go it alone"?

Let's be honest of the GP riders who are willing to ride over here, the only top 10 rider in the world is Doyle and if he wasn't an Aussie,  over here for so many years, and as WC able to pick up good money without too much competition, then I would suspect he may have given Britain a miss too..

Ride on nights when you can generate the biggest crowds rather than when your employees tell you when they are available,  only pay out what you can afford and let those wanting more carry on earning more overseas if they so wish, and fill your teams with riders 100% committed to British Speedway, meaning they are always available when your business can bring in the most income...

Sometimes I do feel that some Promoters enjoy having their ego massaged by dealing with (and becoming friendly with) World Class talent...

I would suggest that the income their sport generates is often a lot smaller than their egos in some instances..

Time to face reality for some I reckon....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Ride on nights when you can generate the biggest crowds rather than when your employees tell you when they are available,  only pay out what you can afford and let those wanting more carry on earning more overseas if they so wish, and fill your teams with riders 100% committed to British Speedway, meaning they are always available when your business can bring in the most income...

Sometimes I do feel that some Promoters enjoy having their ego massaged by dealing with (and becoming friendly with) World Class talent...

I would suggest that the income their sport generates is often a lot smaller than their ego's in some instances..

Time to face reality for some I reckon....

Totally agree with you Mike and I think many of the problems started way back in the early 80's. Up until then Promoters were generally just that "PROMOTERS" who relied on the sport for their income, and as such actually promoted to get the crowds to come in. Then in the coming years you had supporters, who thought that their business could support speedway, become promoters to get their ego fix. I think some of them soon realised that, especially with the introduction of the Danes and Swedes to the 2nd division, it was far more expensive than they realised. I think a lot of the many clubs running in that time have suffered from this. Also the lack of second half racing has hindered the development of local talent over the years, much of this was local riders who developed and moved into their local team, something the local team supporters could relate to.

I'm just glad that I was able to enjoy that period!

• Like 2

Goes to show Matt Ford has tried to get a top rider in.

”Even those who have been loyal to British speedway – Freddie Lindgren and Matej Zagar – are not willing to come to Britain at this point.

“The same applies to many of those who are not in the GP’s but are exceptional riders – Jarek Hampel, Andreas Jonsson, Antonio Lindback and Leon Madsen. All of those have been tried.

“Sadly, the big stars of the sport are finding Britain obstructive and so it’s becoming difficult to entice them. Finances are such that some riders are preferring to attend practice in Poland rather than race in Britain."

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Goes to show Matt Ford has tried to get a top rider in.

”Even those who have been loyal to British speedway – Freddie Lindgren and Matej Zagar – are not willing to come to Britain at this point.

“The same applies to many of those who are not in the GP’s but are exceptional riders – Jarek Hampel, Andreas Jonsson, Antonio Lindback and Leon Madsen. All of those have been tried.

“Sadly, the big stars of the sport are finding Britain obstructive and so it’s becoming difficult to entice them. Finances are such that some riders are preferring to attend practice in Poland rather than race in Britain."

Is this a genuine quote? 

If so, what does he mean when he says "finding Britain obstructive" ?

16 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gomolski is hardly getting a ride anywhere. Could be out of form.

Thomsen could be a good shout in fairness and would be on a low average. 

10 hours ago, Matt Ford Fan said:

Won't be replying anymore because I have provided facts to back up my claims. 

Adam's Daddy can say what he likes because it doesn't make a difference to my life.

End of the day I have spoke the truth and some of you don't like it but that's not my problem. 

The 2 posts above make it crystal clear...........James Shanes only got a team berth because Matt managed to get the Sundstrom deal completed.

No Sundstrom..........Would have meant no Shanes.

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make with this.

Obviously, all teams are put together with averages and a points limit in mind. You can look at every team in the league and possibly say that the bottom average rider would not have been in the side had the points limit been higher.

I think all teams are looking at who can be fitted in by the time they get round to the final signing, but it doesn't necessarily make that rider any less valid once the season gets going, and they are naturally looking at the best option available on whatever average can be fitted in.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is this a genuine quote? 

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/16256917.Holder_issue___39_becoming_unsolvable__39__for_Pirates/

13 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Is this a genuine quote? 

It means- not worth it,too much hassle !!.The rider needs 2 bikes and van and a mechanic to help him on race night,prepare the bikes and run him to and collect him from the airport(unless the van is left there).

I have said many times before that the foreign riders in the Swedish and Danish leagues- and there are many of them- use their Polish kit and mechanics, using the ferry service between Poland and  Sweden to get there and back.

Mike BV is spot on while it is good having the top riders over here its all about the racing and if we went down the mainly Brits teams I for one would still go to Poole every week because its the racing I go for not the egos

Edited by gimli27
wrong name entered

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gomolski is hardly getting a ride anywhere. Could be out of form.

Good open & honest comments from both Klindt and Matt in the Echo. Finally some clarity to the situation.

Klindt quite right when he says he cannot be the sole saviour of Poole's season. What he does bring is experience, maybe some team bonding/spirit and yes many think he is a gating tart, BUT isn that half of what Poole's problem has been this season. Getting out of the gate in many instances. He could prove interesting as based on my below comments re Matt's press release, maybe Klindt could drift in and out of reserve which is where he could do most damage to less experienced opposition as he did last season when in there.

Finally an open and honest release from Matt on the situation with  team building and Holder. Well what he can say openly on the Holder situ that is.

I think yes now he needs to press on without Chris and has opened up on the frustration of trying to book top riders. Now its out in the open and he can press on building perhaps more of an in depth side aiming also for strong reserves which we know i so important in winning tight matches if one or two of the top guys are not firing fully.

If we assume (for this exercise if nothing else) that Spaniak is on the edge of the walking plank, Its starting to look like it could well be Brady K/Linus S/Josh G/Nicolai K/Kacper W and Richie W if he can be convinced to sign for rest of this season. Doing the calc I make it we have 5.58 left to play with.

Now indulge me here as we are playing Fantasy team rebuilding, but I notice in Matt's release he named plenty of so called top starts not willing to come over BUT one name he did not mention who has ridden for us before and is on a crazy low average is Vaclav Milik. Cannot understand why he did not eliminate him in the press release as he is a kind of potential star on a crazy low GSA. It sits at 5.67 BUT factor in a 5% discount as he hasnt ridden since 2015 (2 x 2.5% reduction) and you get 5.39 - within the 5.58 left.

Ok maybe its a long shot but knowing Matt wanted him for some time, last season and maybe this, just a bit surprised he didnt name one of his top targets from the list of non availables. Would be a dream signing of course as even if he didnt score 8/9 he should improve on his GSA. Did well in SWE last nigth and seems to be going ok in POL/SWE. Lost out on SGP for 2019 but will be hoping he maybe gets a wildcard for the SGP Final qualifier or even maybe one for the GP next year as no other Czechs in there.

Anyway its a dream thought and thats partly what the forum is about huh ??

Next we could go for Gomolski who indeed I do have reservations aired only yesterday on where his level is, as believe he thinks he is better than he actually is. If we factor in his form last season in POL Nice 1 and on a good day what he can sometimes achieve in POL EXL then at his GRA of 5.51 MAYBE he is worth a risk on basis he could be sharing the reserve berth with Wory/Klindt for rest of this season??

So there are some options/opinions. Another one is young Frederik Jakobsen. Only 19 - doing well in POL League 2 and in DK and we know Matt is a fan. Said pre season he would not consider UK before June due to studies in DK but would surely get a low GSA having never ridden UK and still in effect junior status. One drawback MIGHT be fixture clashes in DK but if Klindt can sign for Poole them maybe ???. Just an additional idea to throw into the mix.

Anyway no doubt we will here more as we now have some clarity on not getting an 8 pointer. 

As for Holder and assuming he does NOT ride in UK this year then  food for thought for Matt for next season. I assume he would shave 2.5% from his 7.16 havening not ridden UK 2018 so now 6.98 (even more attractive). Assuming his work permit issue will be over (one way or the other so he will or wont be in UK). Matt can also monitor his in and out form in POL/SWE and SGP. Interesting I see that he doesnt feel the need to go in the qualifiers for the SGP. Either he is over confident he will get into the top 8 or perhaps feels that his ultra close relationship to main sponsor Joe at Monster will help him through again on a wildcard if he misses out. Additionally maybe Matt can (if Chris's form warrants keeping him) also get Jack back for next season as for sure they will be happier riding together in same team and if as we hope Jack improves (both his form and attitude towards his employer ;)) Brady and Jack (both still with plenty of improvement to come) and Chris for 2019 in itself would be good, and no I am not going to make crazy predictions on how good the team would be, only that it would be a good 3 to have in the one team.

• Like 1