British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

21 hours ago, BurntFaceMan said:

Do you think most of the NL and championship riders are making a decent living off it? Let's not play silly buggers. If you were a plumber and you had 2 clients, one of which was paying you £10 and hour and the other one was paying you £100 an hour, who do you think would be getting the best service?

So when you said all riders you meant those good enough to be able to ride abroad.

Certainly riders at championship level are making a living out of it so yes.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Matts doing it with all the best intentions. His record in the last 19 years speaks for itself , and i have told him, nobody can take that away from him. Ablely assisted by Neil. Matt was a sponsor and fan before becoming a promoter. And i have the greatest respect for him as a person, and a promoter. Along with many many  fans not just poole, he and his lovely wife, were great to me while i was in hospital, his words rang in my ears  he calls a spade a spade. and im always happy to help him and Neil where i can.

I find it disappointing that Mike Golding is not being mentioned in your thread Mike.

He was part of the team that swept in so refreshingly in 1999.

Hope people don't forget that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sugarray said:

I find it disappointing that Mike Golding is not being mentioned in your thread Mike.

Yep i agree mate. Mike was a very pivital part of the club when he was promoting with Matt. He is still a regular at the stadium on a weds, and sits up stairs in the  resturant. I always have a good chat with him, every weds and value his input re riders etc. He used to sit in the grandstand when he was co-promoting and always had time for the staff. He was also a regular on the terraces with the fans at away meetings. Good bloke who has also had his heath issues.

17 hours ago, sugarray said:

Lets not forget Mervyn Stewkesbury, Pete Ansell and Alan Hodder for that matter!:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Lets not forget Mervyn Stewkesbury, Pete Ansell and Alan Hodder for that matter!:D

If it wasnt for our dearly departed Pete Ansell we would never have  had speedway at poole again..

Edited by Starman2006

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

Going down that route what about the Knott family?

Yep very true. The knotts were sinominous with the poole set up for years in the 60's and 70's. We still have one wandering the stadium weekly..:o Lets also not forget Gordon Pairman, a promoter in his own right and a very good edition to the club. Gordons knowledge is invaluable , and regulary deputises at meetings for Matt. his knowledge of riders and the rule book is very good. He's is always fasinating to listen to.

28 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Yep very true. The knotts were sinominous with the poole set up for years in the 60's and 70's. We still have one wandering the stadium weekly..:o Lets also not forget Gordon Pairman, a promoter in his own right and a very good edition to the club. Gordons knowledge is invaluable , and regulary deputises at meetings for Matt. his knowledge of riders and the rule book is very good. He's is always fasinating to listen to.

...and is on the Speedway Control Bureau!!!:D

10 minutes ago, sugarray said:

When I started going.

Yep when i first started going in 1970, they must have been averaging 5000 + Yeh your right Clive,  Gordon is also on the SCB..

On 18/01/2018 at 4:08 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

They are clearly running scared. If Sundstrom and Shanes are the final two, Poole will have a powerhouse team which would be stronger than any completed team so far.

Comparing Swindons team, which if I am honest looks a bit flat and lacklustre, to Pooles is like comparing a two day open bottle of Lambrusco with a couple of extinguished fags floating on top, (Swindon) to a chilled bottle of Krug. (Poole)

On 19/01/2018 at 6:10 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Lol at Gavan!

Jack Holder and Newman v Sundstrom and Woryna? nothing in it? LOL!

They should make the playoffs comfortably? Is that praise? Of the other completed teams no other side has the potential or strength in depth. If Swindon had named this side I would be waving the white flag!

A superb lineup which should go unbeaten at home and pick up plenty of points on the road. Looking forward to trips to the bigger tracks of Swindon, Belle Vue, Kings Lynn and Somerset.

Gavan not happy tonight. Lol!

On 20/01/2018 at 10:54 AM, Gavan said:

Nope havent done that take a little look harder next time.

Simply said Pooles riders struggle at Monmore.

I think Belle Vue and Leicester have better teams than Wolves , but i would fancy Poole over 2 legs against both of those. 

For me Poole will find it harder over 2 legs against Wolves then any other side.....thats my opinion or do you expect Poole to smash everyone!

Poole should breeze into the play offs with the 1-7 but there are risks there simple as that.

Just a few little gems 

• Like 1

No one likes over confidence but when you are and your team doesn’t deliver - you have to expect a reaction.  

As has been said the season has just started and as we all know - it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.

Poole will come good - I have no doubt about that.

• Like 1