British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Starman........you put the track was raceable but not rideable

Im pretty sure you meant to say rideable not raceable.

No mate, about 3.30 it was raceable,  The track was very good seeing all the rain we had, Glyn went in in the morning and it was a bog, but with a drying wind and a lot of grading and the mesh eventually it dried out really well, at that point it was raceable, they could have gone flat out on that, but in other instances wheres you've had rain and the track is still pretty wet its rideable, and that situation is no good to riders nor the fans.  I hope that makes sense. It was the right decision to call it off, as it rained all night.

52 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Gordon when the rule was announced wouldn't it of been easier to do a list of everybody who might ride in the uk and show the public beforehand what there figure would be.How hard is that go to the list check ie) an example Lebedev rode for Kings Lynn what would he come in on? rules should be in black and white  gospel no loopholes but they are not.

The thing is, there is no rule so nothing to announce. 

The BSPA office keeps the list of historic averages although some promoters also keep a list. As these are changeable due to the MC’s power, a team will ask the office for a definitive average before finalising any signing. 

Lebedevs is a good case to look at - my recollection is he didn’t fare too well at KL so potentially could come back on an unrealistically low average. It would be up to the MC at the time how to assess him now.

On a slightly different point, I have often wondered if it would be better, in our average driven leagues, whether or not, for team building, averages were rounded up or down to the nearest 0.5. That way, there would no longer be the chase for the last decimal point in team building. 

Gordon. Thanks for clarifying there is and never was a 9 point rule. Sounds like a case of ‘if it’s repeated enough times on the forum it will become fact’.

A real shame about the rain coming along at the wrong time. All that time and effort wasted. Hope the 70th dinner tonight is a huge success.

1 hour ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I used the phrase “in most instances” because BSPA Management Committee have the final say on averages for individual rider averages - think Andreas Jonsson when he returned to Lakeside on a lower average as his historic CMA was thought to be too high.

I am not aware where the suggestion that there was a “9 point rule” came from and have never seen anything in writing saying it had been agreed.

Thank you for the reply. 

It is interesting to note your comments about the reduction of Andreas Jonsson's average  because it was thought to be too high. It makes the decision to allow Woryna to return on an average, which seems to be universally accepted as too low, even more puzzling. With the precedent having been set with Jonsson it is again another example of the inconsistency of the decision making by the BSPA. It is exactly this sort of inconsistency which adds to the lack of credibility. 

With regard to the GP rider rule it wasn't something made up on this forum. A number of promoters have said publicly that it was the change to the averages of some GP riders which prevented them from considering signing them. Plainly, either they are misleading their fans, which I don't believe, or something has been done that affects the averages of GP riders.

Your point in your later post about rounding up or down averages had been discussed on this forum. The problem with it is that those teams with the financial clout or better reputations with riders could then sign riders just below 8.5, 7.5 etc., As 8 or 7 point riders gaining a significant advantage over those left to sign the 8.6, 7.6 etc., riders as 9 or 8 point riders. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Is Holder riding in Best Pairs tomorrow!!! 

I guess not!! He is out tonight with Jack getting smashed on a Bottle of JD! And a big bottle at that!!  

Also Visa 

When most top riders these days seem to be on strict diets and exercise plans to help them be the best they can be,if this is true perhaps its part of the reason why Chris is not the same rider he used to be.

Edited by B.V 72

Just now, B.V 72 said:

When most top riders these days seem to be on strict diets and exercise plans to help them be the best they can,if this is true perhaps its part of the reason why Chris is not the same rider he used to be.

I was about to say something on those lines and you took the words right out of my mouth.

37 minutes ago, Pinny said:

You talk absolute f@cking nonsense. Did before your brain surgery and you definately do now.

what an embarrasement you are to your club

pinny not sure i agree with with your tone,but you are 100%correct starman is a total embarrassment  to poole speedway and its supporters.he is a volunteer(for which matt like all promoters appreciates) and performs several menial tasks on racenight but is in no way connected to the promotion and certainly not track prep(he would know as much about track prep as me, basically nothing)he made a mistake re "rideable/raceable" just needed to say oops sorry not proceed with ludicrous posts

• Like 2

Starman didnt make a mistake as such

I understood what he meant

He missed the word 'just' in the post thats all

He said it was 'raceable not rideable' when he meant 'raceable not just rideable'

His point was the damage was all done by the late and heavier rain - until that it was raceable and not just rideable

Im confused.

If a track is raceable then its rideable yes?

If a track is rideable doesnt mean its raceable

You cant state a track is raceable i.e meaning riders can race and overtake without it being rideable surely?

Belle Vue v Poole a few years ago in the rain when Poole forced the meeting to heat 10. Track was rideable but the riders couldnt race on it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Im confused.

If a track is raceable then its rideable yes?

If a track is rideable doesnt mean its raceable

You cant state a track is raceable i.e meaning riders can race and overtake without it being rideable surely?

Belle Vue v Poole a few years ago in the rain when Poole forced the meeting to heat 10. Track was rideable but the riders couldnt race on it.

Nail. Hammer. Hit.

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I used the phrase “in most instances” because BSPA Management Committee have the final say on averages for individual rider averages - think Andreas Jonsson when he returned to Lakeside on a lower average as his historic CMA was thought to be too high.

I am not aware where the suggestion that there was a “9 point rule” came from and have never seen anything in writing saying it had been agreed.

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gordon. Thanks for clarifying there is and never was a 9 point rule. Sounds like a case of ‘if it’s repeated enough times on the forum it will become fact’.

A real shame about the rain coming along at the wrong time. All that time and effort wasted. Hope the 70th dinner tonight is a huge success.

So why we're Wolves and Belle Vue, and Poole presumably told that Zagar, Piotr and Woffy were reassessed to 9 when they were planning to be used on their old averages from 2014-2016?

Seemingly what was a rule suddenly no longer applies. Yes folks,  you really cannot make some of this stuff up.

18 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Starman didnt make a mistake as such

I understood what he meant

He missed the word 'just' in the post thats all

He said it was 'raceable not rideable' when he meant 'raceable not just rideable'

His point was the damage was all done by the late and heavier rain - until that it was raceable and not just rideable

It never came across how he meant it to be i get it as well 

2 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Matej Zagar claims he has been re-assessed to a 9:

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/6430/zagars-british-blow

Are you suggesting he is wrong and could have been signed on his 2016 average of 7.48?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

So why we're Wolves and Belle Vue, and Poole presumably told that Zagar, Piotr and Woffy were reassessed to 9 when they were planning to be used on their old averages from 2014-2016?

Seemingly what was a rule suddenly no longer applies. Yes folks,  you really cannot make some of this stuff up.

I can’t tell you who was told what by whom. You need to ask each team’s promoters. I do know that one of the teams you mention was trying to sign one of the riders you mention and they believed that the rider would return on his historic average. The stumbling block would appear to have been financial rather than numerical.