British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

22 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Very true M Zagar being one of them, but when he signed for the Aces he soon came to loving it and riding it very well. Maybe Holder should have a season on loan to Wolves.;)

Another example, When Tony Rickardsson came to Poole he rated Poole as one of his least favorite tracks, but look how he ended up..

39 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Another example, When Tony Rickardsson came to Poole he rated Poole as one of his least favorite tracks, but look how he ended up..

Difficult to compare todays riders with Tony Rick, I remember going to Lakeside once, he had never raced there before, walks the track, ends up with a easy max, very few riders could have done that. I am sure Tony had tracks he didn't like as much as some others but he just saw them as another challenge to beat whereas I think Chris thinks of them as a challenge he can never beat.

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

Difficult to compare todays riders with Tony Rick, I remember going to Lakeside once, he had never raced there before, walks the track, ends up with a easy max, very few riders could have done that. I am sure Tony had tracks he didn't like as much as some others but he just saw them as another challenge to beat whereas I think Chris thinks of them as a challenge he can never beat.

Quite right, and Chris should take a leaf out of Tonys book. Its a head thing.

Given the potential strength of the Pirates top five, astute use of tactical substitutes could pay dividends - perhaps limiting Holder (or others) to just three rides.

Edited by Dickie Head

2 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Given the potential strength of the Pirates top five, astute use of tactical substitutes could pay dividends - perhaps limiting Holder (or others) to just three rides.

Im sure Matt will be doing a bit of juggling when the boys have put down early season markers. Horses for courses and all that..

34 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Perhaps not the best example. Didn't Jurica Pavlic do the same on his first visit to Lakeside. :lol:

However, I do know what you mean. There are riders who just see tracks as there to be ridden, no matter the size, shape, or condition and those who take a look and are convinced they're not going to do well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Perhaps not the best example. Didn't Jurica Pavlic do the same on his first visit to Lakeside. :lol:

However, I do know what you mean. There are riders who just see tracks as there to be ridden, no matter the size, shape, or condition and those who take a look and are convinced they're not going to do well.

He did indeed. Not just a max. A 21 point max.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Thats where the mindset comes in..

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Surely thats middledich job he is the manager ?

Neil manages Matt does the juggling.

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Quite right, and Chris should take a leaf out of Tonys book. Its a head thing.

I don't think he has to Holder he  has won a World title no one can ever take that away from him   also  Rickardsson ( i was never a fan) he is not really any guide to anybody because  he was that good.!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I don't think he has to Holder he  has won a World title no one can ever take that away from him   also  Rickardsson ( i was never a fan) he is not really any guide to anybody because  he was that good.!!!

He was, Any yard stick has to involve Tony who won 6 world titles, but Chris should really suss Wolves out. its not rocket science. a case of watch a sky/BT  DVD and learn. There angles are a lot better.

Edited by Starman2006

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Are you saying Matt is a bigger clown than Neil?

Clearly you dont know the difference between a team manger and a promoter that holds the purse strings.. ;)

2 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

He was, Any yard stick has to involve Tony who won 6 world titles, but Chris should really suss Wolves out. its not rocket science. a case of watch a sky/BT  DVD and learn. There angles are a lot better.

I respect your view but as a example Nielsen / Lee were both never that great at the old Bellle Vue  Hyde Rd  but ( they could ride  it well but PC and Mort would usually  beat them  at there best horses for courses comes to mind.?!!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I respect your view but as a example Nielsen / Lee were both never that great at the old Bellle Vue  Hyde Rd  but ( they could ride  it well but PC and Mort would usually  beat them  at there best horses for courses comes to mind.?!!!!

Yeh fair comment, but from Magics point of view he freely admitted he hated Wolves, but he eventually mastered it.  But like somebody else said, Tony bit the bullet and rode it, Chris should be ble to do the same. Now you would have thought that Michael Lee would have been good round a big track like hyde rd, he rode KL well, and the old bigger Poole track.

Edited by Starman2006

4 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Yeh fair comment, but from Magics point of view he freely admitted he hated Wolves, but he eventually mastered it.  But like somebody else said, Tony bit the bullet and rode it, Chris should be ble to do the same. Now you would have thought that Michael Lee would have been good round a big track like hyde rd, he rode KL well, and the old bigger Poole track.

Riding Hyde Rd usually once a year in one league fixture was very hard Lee usually did that if he turned up !!!!!!☺️Not  like now usually 2 fixtures at least at the same  track away from home going back to Hyde Rd Lee was up against Collins/Mort a bit different to now.

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Riding Hyde Rd usually once a year in one league fixture was very hard Lee usually did that if he turned up !!!!!!☺️Not  like now usually 2 fixtures at least at the same  track away from home going back to Hyde Rd Lee was up against Collins/Mort a bit different to now.

Yeh maybe, but you would still think a quality rider like Lee would adapt to it well, give that he rode other big tracks well.