British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

11 minutes ago, ray c said:

I thought we had lost the ragamuffin tag but obviously not .don't think it's very professional like you said ?

Pros & cons with either I think:

1. Nothing worse than having 5 suited & your other riders 2 wearing colours of another teams.

2. Suits not good when both teams look identical.

3.  Suits not so good when identifying visiting riders - or even your own!

4.  Suits of the same team can look completely different when made by different manufacturers. 

5. Riders race numbers are often hard to see on race suits & often in different colours for the same team.

6. With no team suits this could give a riders a fantastic marketing opportunity i.e. Ray Wilson with Bostic - I still remember that after how many years?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

6. With no team suits this could give a riders a fantastic marketing opportunity i.e. Ray Wilson with Bostic - I still remember that after how many years?  

To be fair, that was bound to stick. :)

On 10/03/2018 at 5:55 AM, Trackerman48 said:

where is that from? Is breadon makeing shale now? Will you be doing track all season glyn? Hope so it needed someone who knows what there doing.

Its not from Breadon. I don't know if I will be doing the track all season. Matt has a few things to sort out first. But I would like the job.

3 hours ago, sugarray said:

I'm old school. I don't like team race suits.

I could just see United turning up next weekend with Rashford in a blue shirt, Lukaku in a red shirt and Sanchez in a pink one with yellow spots with Manchester United bibs on. It just reeks of absolute unprofessionalism and something else to paint speedway as a minor unprofessional sport.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Pros & cons with either I think:

1. Nothing worse than having 5 suited & your other riders 2 wearing colours of another teams.

2. Suits not good when both teams look identical.

3.  Suits not so good when identifying visiting riders - or even your own!

4.  Suits of the same team can look completely different when made by different manufacturers. 

5. Riders race numbers are often hard to see on race suits & often in different colours for the same team.

It still baffles that people say they can't see numbers on riders backs. If you can't spot riders from bike covers, riding style or anything else surely that's what the helmet colours are for? 

The biggest flaw in your whole post is that you say with no team suits it creates a brilliant marketing opportunity... how about it could create a massive opportunity for a team sponsor? I think Ipswich embraced that last season and have benefitted massively.

1 minute ago, poolebolton said:

Think people are missing the point that Ford spent 12k on the things last year. Not as much money in the sport. 

Maybe if other teams didn’t have racesuits they could actually sign some good riders. 

£12,000? He got ripped off then. A quick google search shows it could be done for between £4,750 and £5,500.

With a good marketing department and marketing drive, some companies with some excess cash would be more than tempted to cough up to have their names plastered on them. 

Edited by Najjer

23 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Think people are missing the point that Ford spent 12k on the things last year. Not as much money in the sport. 

Maybe if other teams didn’t have racesuits they could actually sign some good riders. 

Exclusive.....Poole pioneering the way forward for all teams to be able to sign good riders.Scrap race suits.

Your first sentence was fair enough.The second,a bit childish ;)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Exclusive.....Poole pioneering the way forward for all teams to be able to sign good riders.Scrap race suits.

Your first sentence was fair enough.The second,a bit childish ;)

The first sentence is also absolute nonsense if you do abit of research online. Just because Matt Ford says it, doesn't make it gospel.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Najjer said:

The first sentence is also absolute nonsense if you do abit of research online. Just because Matt Ford says it, doesn't make it gospel.

I can understand that teams need to cut costs, and theres not much money about.As for the cost,i don't know..Did'nt Poole buy 10 last season though ;).

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

£12,000? He got ripped off then. A quick google search shows it could be done for between £4,750 and £5,500.

With a good marketing department and marketing drive, some companies with some excess cash would be more than tempted to cough up to have their names plastered on them. 

Naj, i believe they are £500 a piece, but i also believe the riders bought there own Kevlars..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Naj, i believe they are £500 a piece, but i also believe the riders bought there own Kevlars..

So why has Matt Ford said he's paid out a lot of money for them then if the riders paid for them themselves?

I believe they cost in the region of about £650 - £700 but it's still hardly ground breaking money.

Edited by Najjer

Just now, Najjer said:

So why has Matt Ford said he's paid out a lot of money for them then if the riders paid for them themselves?

I believe they cost in the region of about £650 - £700 but it's still hardly ground breaking money.

No, as near as dam it 500 mate, there maybe other little twiddly bits we dont know about, so i wouldnt doubt him.

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The second sentence reeks of the usual Poole arrogance which up to now we haven't seen from poolebolton. Hopefully its a one off.

Just a one off. 

But I would rather see better riders than someone race around in blue, red, gold, black whatever the colour may be. 

I would rather every rider rode in there own racesuits and all teams have better riders. 

Last year Ford paid for every single racesuit. If they are 500 a piece. 

KK had 3 I know that he requested it. 

Everyone else had at least 1 and some 2. So in total maybe about 20 last season. 

Surely the league could sign a deal with Dstar or who ever they see fit so all clubs get provided racesuits if people are so desperate to see someone go around in a certain colour. 

For any Poole fan who is against the decision and this isn't a dig at any other team but when your winning people forget stuff very quickly. 

23 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

At Coventry I believe riders bought them but they were reimbursed when they gave them back to the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Just a one off. 

But I would rather see better riders than someone race around in blue, red, gold, black whatever the colour may be. 

I would rather every rider rode in there own racesuits and all teams have better riders. 

Everyone else had at least 1 and some 2. So in total maybe about 20 last season. 

Surely the league could sign a deal with Dstar or who ever they see fit so all clubs get provided racesuits if people are so desperate to see someone go around in a certain colour. 

For any Poole fan who is against the decision and this isn't a dig at any other team but when your winning people forget stuff very quickly. 

Yep i would agree with your part that all riders would have a least two pairs.

8 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Just a one off. 

Some of your post makes sense. The deal with a supplier would make sense to reduce the costs, although they aren't massive costs anyway.

Teams should start being tougher with riders and provide them with 1 suit and that is it, especially when they are being used once or twice a week. More fool the teams that have coughed up money for more than 1 suit per riders! 

7 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

At Coventry I believe riders bought them but they were reimbursed when they gave them back to the club.

That makes perfect sense, especially when the clubs sponsors are not only on the chest but on the thighs like Somerset's were last year.

7 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Some of your post makes sense. The deal with a supplier would make sense to reduce the costs, although they aren't massive costs anyway.

Teams should start being tougher with riders and provide them with 1 suit and that is it, especially when they are being used once or twice a week. More fool the teams that have coughed up money for more than 1 suit per riders! 

That makes perfect sense, especially when the clubs sponsors are not only on the chest but on the thighs like Somerset's were last year.

Problem is mate, if they should rip a set in a fall they have to have a replacement set of Kevlars. So it does make a lot of sence to have two pairs..