British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

51 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

your welcome to watch that rubbish every week :lol:

28 posts in and your winding up people who have been posters on here a lot longer than you have. BV might be a decent track, but it should be, its brand new  and therefore easier to maintain.. But it is also to big. but i doubt you will agree with me.. for which i will not respond. Please consider other posters views.

Edited by Starman2006

25 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

28 posts in and your winding up people who have been posters on here a lot longer than you have. BV might be a decent track, but it should be, its brand new  and therefore easier to maintain.. But it is also to big. but i doubt you will agree with me.. for which i will not respond. Please consider other posters views.

To big a strange comment ? this track is in the top four tracks in the World now and we should be proud of it.As a supporter i loved Hyde Rd in a way like the Abbey at Swindon a bit shabby and tired but the track was awesome to have another track to rival Hyde Rd is awesome great for British speedway.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Indeed, Belle Vue is almost the perfect shape and size for a speedway track and provides proper fast speedway racing like nowhere else in the UK. 

Anybody criticising the new Belle Vue is suffering from one of two things; jealousy or stupidity.

It is the best in this country by a mile, and we should create more tracks along similar lines.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Anybody criticising the new Belle Vue is suffering from one of two things; jealousy or stupidity.

It is the best in this country by a mile, and we should create more tracks along similar lines.

12 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Like watching dan bewley round the outside at the nss

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

To big a strange comment ? this track is in the top four tracks in the World now and we should be proud of it.As a supporter i loved Hyde Rd in a way like the Abbey at Swindon a bit shabby and tired but the track was awesome to have another track to rival Hyde Rd is awesome great for British speedway.

Yeh, but i also think the Abbey is to big. Take 10 metres of each end then you would have the near perfect track. plenty of follow the leader racing there mate.. BV is like any decent good shaped track, you will still get many a follow the leader racing, of course you will get the odd PROPER speedway race the same as any decent shaped track, ie Poole and Somerset spring to mind but because of the nature of the BV track and being so wide riders will feel safer in taking more risks, which applies to any track, if the rider feels safe he will put himself out more. But i just feel some fans are going a little over board. Remember, they will be paying a huge rent to the council, so they need to get the fans in, although i believe that is not always the case, and how many councils are prepared to build new tracks and stadia ?They have been lucky, the best thing they did was get out of Kirky lane. But Its new therefore will if kept on top of   be easier to maintain.

I got the 2017 ELRC  DVD for Christmas god there was some great racing in that meeting and by all accounts there was even better meetings than that through out the season.The track is built along the lines of Torun/ Hyde Rd a great shape just a shame about not being able to have bigger crowds as to have that track hosting GPS would of been awesome.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I got the 2017 ELRC  DVD for Christmas god there was some great racing in that meeting and by all accounts there was even better meetings than that through out the season.The track is built along the lines of Torun/ Hyde Rd a great shape just a shame about not being able to have bigger crowds as to have that track hosting GPS would of been awesome.

Thats the thing Sid, you need to get the crowds in to pay your way, internationals and individuals are shared events so the club would only get a portion of the income thats why for league racing they must get the crowds in,, we go back to that Carrot again. Torun is good, and although i didnt really see Hyde rd just bits of footage, but i heard that was superb.

Edited by Starman2006

2 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Yeh, but i also think the Abbey is to big. Take 10 metres of each end then you would have the near perfect track. plenty of follow the leader racing there mate.. BV is like any decent good shaped track, you will still get many a follow the leader racing, of course you will get the odd PROPER speedway race the same as any decent shaped track, ie Poole and Somerset spring to mind but because of the nature of the BV track and being so wide riders will feel safer in taking more risks, which applies to any track, if the rider feels safe he will put himself out more. But i just feel some fans are going a little over board. Remember, they will be paying a huge rent to the council, so they need to get the fans in, although i believe that is not always the case, and how many councils are prepared to build new tracks and stadia ?They have been lucky, the best thing they did was get out of Kirky lane. But Its new therefore will if kept on top of   be easier to maintain.

The Abbey through out the 60s,70, 80, was a great racetrack when prepared but now it is half the track.Since having the second bend altered it has changed but it is still a fast track and when they change the size it will take some getting used to.In Yesteryear that is what made the BL a great league differing tracks different challenges you had as (ex) Hyde Rd, Swindon, King's Lynn,Sheffield,Halifax,Hackney,Leicester,Exeter,Cradley the old Monmore green all different in there own unique way we have not got that now.

11 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The Abbey through out the 60s,70, 80, was a great racetrack when prepared but now it is half the track.Since having the second bend altered it has changed but it is still a fast track and when they change the size it will take some getting used to.In Yesteryear that is what made the BL a great league differing tracks different challenges you had as (ex) Hyde Rd, Swindon, King's Lynn,Sheffield,Halifax,Hackney,Leicester,Exeter,Cradley the old Monmore green all different in there own unique way we have not got that now.

Very true, Swindon KL Sheffield Shay Halifax Exeter Wembley were all big galloping tracks,  the others may have been at some point but are not now. As with Ackney and Cradley and even Wimbledon White City Reading sadly they now no longer exist.

As a matter of interest Starman have you been able to get to the NSS yet? 

Thequality of the racing come across well on TV but there is nothing to compare with watching it live where you are so close to the track. Yes, we need more fans, like every other track but the new owners are in it for the long haul.

Another benefit never mentioned is that the shape and width of the track means that there are very few falls and fewer restarts. Riders know that taking a risk at the tapes is not so important as it is at many other tracks because of the many passing lines. The result is that there are fewer of the delays which so many fans complain about.

I was priveledged to have watched Speedway at Hyde Road for 30 years. It was a brilliant race track but no track can produce good racing in every race or even every match. When Ivan Mauger was first out of the tapes, which he invariably was, very few riders could get close enough to challenge him. What I can say is that in my opinion the NSS produces racing every bit as good.

What it lacks is the atmosphere created by the crowds we had at Hyde Road but that is a much more difficult problem to resolve.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

It is not all follow the leader racing at Swindon, there is plenty of overtaking.

They are looking to shorten the straights, if it ever happens, which some think it will make better racing.  I am unsure and hope we do not end up with a track like Somerset which can be ridden as a circle.  It needs to have wide bends and slightly longer straights than Somerset which should allow different racing lines. 

Swindon has a track 63 mtrs longer than Somerset and 13 mtrs longer than BV so subject to the width it can be shortened but still have a decent straight.  

Edited by A ORLOV

The new BV track is frankly, superb. I have been up several times and the only bad meeting I witnessed was the SWC semi. The final the following day was brilliant.

I have gone up for the Poole meetings and all have been top notch racing.

As for the Poole track, we are lucky to have such a good race track. Hopefully the dusting of snow we have had should effect the work that’s been done. A rider was seen playing on it last night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dwoiot1fbr90ex/Video 28-02-2018%2C 19 31 44.mov?dl=0

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1