British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

26 minutes ago, Arthur Fry said:

and still your going on about it

Yep - This Poole Forum really needs some fresh news to debate. Carries on like this for the next few weeks and I may consider just not looking in. Even the diehards are struggling.

Mind you if I was a KL supporter I would be rushing for the depression tablets. Their side is close to being finalised looking at their forum in the last hour of exchanges. Their team looks less than exciting outside of NKI & Lambert. If the Poles don't lift their 3 league rule then they really could  be up brown smelly creek in my opinion.

I will consider myself fortunate with the side Poole have named in comparison even though we have 2 to name which hopefully will be a young and improving Shanes plus Sundstrom who in this now weakened league compared to what he rode in before in 2014 will make the team very watchable in 2018.

I wont go over the top on how good the Poole  team might be in 2018 as I know who will come swinging in with comments ;). Play offs has to be first target and then its down to how well the team & individual riders are performing come September when its play offs. Nobody knows the answer to that irrespective of how good or bad a team may look early season.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
spelling errors

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Very pleased tonight.  Deal done with MF. Only 4 meetings left available to sponsor and guess what I've got  - last season's champions in August!!:D:P

Always wondered what it cost to sponsor a meeting Skidder.

Are you able to give a guestimate even if it is a rough range idea ??

Not after what you paid Skidder just a rough idea of what one can pay if interested. Assuming I read your message correctly ;-)

2 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Not after what you paid Skidder just a rough idea of what one can pay if interested. Assuming I read your message correctly ;-)

It can vary depending who the opposition is, whether there is TV and what sort of hospitality the sponsor may want. It also depends on what the sponsor may want in return?!

I'm sure if you give the office a call, MF would be happy to outline the options.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Last time I sponsored a meeting it cost about £1400 onc vat.  You could have 20 guests and a prog each. Had a meal in the stadium restaurant. The guys and girls in the office enjoyed it, a good night out.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pirate Nick said:

Last time I sponsored a meeting it cost about £1400 onc vat.  You could have 20 guests and a prog each. Had a meal in the stadium restaurant. The guys and girls in the office enjoyed it, a good night out.

I was going to ask Skidder,but thought it a bit rude,then you post this.:t: VAT :blink:

Edited by Bald Bloke

15 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Could you possibly tell us other sponsorship costs such as programme stuff. 

Main team? 

And is there sponsorship for tyres and fuel?? Etc? 

Programme was about the same price for the season, dont know about main team these days although I think Ready Power did a 6 figure deal for 2 years, as for fuel and oil ask a rider its not as expensive as you think. Costs about 200 ish for a premiership riders oil for the season based on 1 litre per meeting, can put you in touch with a friend who supplies it if you’re interested.

20 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I do but holiday already booked and paid for as I always try to grab a week away before the team fixtures begin!!

I suppose I could buy a table for friends and family in my absence, but I'm not that flush at the moment having paid for 3 season passes, a sponsored meeting and a few other bits and pieces as usual!!B)

No commitment as usual Clive!!  ;)

• Like 3

Matt Ford confirms Poole in advanced talks with Linus Sundstrom. 

Ford is keen to make the 27-year-old Avesta-born racer his sixth signing for the club's 70th anniversary season, but rules outlined by the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association (PZM) dictate that riders in the Polish Ekstraliga can only race in a maximum of three European leagues.

Sundstrom currently has two contracts in his homeland and one in Poland, but Ford is hopeful the Swede will take a place in his 2018 septet. 

Ford said: "Linus is very good friends with our former world champion Tony Rickardsson and he believes, as I do, Poole is the best place for Linus to really push on to the top of the sport in 2018. 
"He's a very exciting rider and one I have the utmost respect for. He will complement the riders already signed up for this year perfectly, so I hope we will be able to secure his signature in the not-too-distant future." 

Should he sign for the Volvo Cars Poole Pirates, Sundstrom would use up 7.22 of Ford's team-building points limit and that would open make James Shanes an ideal fit to join Kacper Woryna, Mateusz Szczepaniak, Chris Holder, Josh Grajczonek and Brady Kurtz in the 2018 line-up.

-----

PIRATES boss Matt Ford cannot finalise the signing of Linus Sundstrom unless the Polish authorities lift the controversial three-league rule.

The Swedish star has agreed terms ahead of a proposed move to Wimborne Road but the switch is being affected by his contracts elsewhere.

Sundstrom is set to race for Masarna and Piraterna in his homeland while he also has a deal in place with Gorzow, who compete in the Ekstraliga – Poland's top flight.

It was agreed in November that the Polish Automobile and Motorcycle Association would lift the regulation which restricted Ekstraliga riders to racing in two other leagues. However, the PZM is yet to deliver on that promise.

Speaking to this newspaper at the start of December, Ford admitted the three-league rule had been holding up his plans. And he and World Cup-winner Sundstrom remain in limbo.

Ford told the Daily Echo: "I'm sure everyone is as frustrated as I am that this saga has been going on since the AGM, when I first made contact with Linus.

"While I was at the AGM, we were informed by Tony Steele, who was representing the BSPA at an FIM event, that the rule would be lifted or changed to four leagues.

"With this in mind, Linus and I entered discussions and while we have agreed terms, sadly we cannot sign anything until the restriction is lifted.

"I don't know what the hold-up is. It's very frustrating because we want to finalise things.

"I know there are other riders who this has an impact on. It's not for me to reveal other people's teams but I know it is having an effect at King's Lynn.

"I can only hope for all of our sakes that the matter is resolved as soon as possible."

When Krzysztof Kasprzak suffered a broken collarbone in May last year, Sundstrom contacted Ford to offer his riding services.

And although talks were shelved after Sundstrom picked up a contract at Gorzow – coincidentally to replace Kasprzak – Ford remains a big fan of the 27-year-old.

He added: "I can remember Linus coming down with Peterborough in 2012 and beating Chris Holder and Darcy Ward at their peak.

"At that time, I remember thinking: 'This kid really has got something special'. Now, I am incredibly excited at the thought of bringing him in.

"I know Tony Rickardsson has great regard for Linus and he believes him coming to Poole would be a huge step in his development.

"If we get Linus on board, we should also have more contact with Tony as well, which is my hope."

Should he complete the signing of Sundstrom, who has a 7.22 average, Ford would have 3.51 points left for his final rider.

That would almost certainly be Puddletown-based charger James Shanes, who has a 2.88 rating and would take his place at reserve.

However, if the Sundstrom deal falls through, Ford is likely to plump for two mid-range riders to complete his septet.

Pirates 2018: Brady Kurtz 8.08, Josh Grajczonek 7.34, Chris Holder 7.16, Kacper Woryna 4.65, Mateusz Szczepaniak 4.54.

Edited by BurntFaceMan

After meeting with Poland, Denmark and Sweden at that 'International Speedway Council' thing and agreeing Monday and Thursday as their 'priority nights' in the International calendar, (and then subsequently changing it to Monday and Wednesday which clashes with Denmark's night)..

Maybe, just maybe, the Poles are a bit peed that the BSPA went their own way and want to show them who the 'Boss' really is?

Hence still enforcing the three League rule...?

Everyone must have left that meeting thinking there was a clear vision for the Sport domestically around Europe's leagues. Something the Poles in particular have been wanting for the past five years or so...

Then it changed. ..

Edited by mikebv

The conflict for Poland is that Linus rides not just in the Polish top flight but both levels in Sweden making it three leagues but only two countries and that is where they hope to get clearance to use him and make Britain the third country which can be resolved if need be as Swedens race nights of Tuesday and Thursday don't clash with the Polish fixtures. 

Thing is, if he is riding in Sweden on a Thursday do Poole get priority as its not his main contract in Sweden. More chance of this going through than Iversen getting clearance for Kings Lynn as he is already signed up in Sweden, Poland and Denmark. 

As as usual a strong Poole team starts the season and one of the favourites

Time for GB, Sweden and Denmark to play hardball with Poland. If the PZM do not relax their rule over riders, then the three countries should basically ban their riders from riding in Poland until the issue is resolved. 

Probably illegal but probably no more illegal than what the Poles are doing.

• Like 2