British Speedway Forum

Poole 2018

If anyone's got this week's Speedway Star read the piece about Swedish speedway in the International section. I know British speedway has its issues but Elit Vetlanda - the league winners - and Piraterna have got serious financial problems requiring bale-outs from wherever including local councils.

It is being suggested that their 'top' clubs will have to severely cut their outgoings if they are to run next year. Vetlanda's website reporting that they are cutting their rider budget substantially for next season if they are to run. (Lets not forget that this is at least the 2nd season that some riders in Sweden have not been paid everything they are owed!!)

Logically this could well mean several of the 'top' riders looking elsewhere (SGBP?) for a team place, so the SGBP promoters could well find themselves with a lot more choice of riders, on the back of the Polish rumours that they will lessen their rider restrictions if the SGBP goes fixed racenights!!

Obviously SGBP clubs will have to be able to afford it and there will be some clubs in a better position than others to do that!! :-)

(I wonder if that's a topic of conversation for Greg Hancock at Glasgow last night?!) ;-)

Edited by Skidder1

If anyone's got this week's Speedway Star read the piece about Swedish speedway in the International section. I know British speedway has its issues but Elit Vetlanda - the league winners - and Piraterna have got serious financial problems requiring bale-outs from wherever including local councils.

It is being suggested that their 'top' clubs will have to severely cut their outgoings if they are to run next year. Vetlanda's website reporting that they are cutting their rider budget substantially for next season if they are to run. (Lets not forget that this is at least the 2nd season that some riders in Sweden have not been paid everything they are owed!!)

Logically this could well mean several of the 'top' riders looking elsewhere (SGBP?) for a team place, so the SGBP promoters could well find themselves with a lot more choice of riders, on the back of the Polish rumours that they will lessen their rider restrictions if the SGBP goes fixed racenights!!

Obviously SGBP clubs will have to be able to afford it and there will be some clubs in a better position than others to do that!! :-)

(I wonder if that's a topic of conversation for Greg Hancock at Glasgow tonight?!) ;-)

Thought that was last night as Glasgow lost at home to Ipswich.

Maybe staying on the South Coast today as a guest of Matt. You never know but that's just my mischievous mind playing games ;-)

Interesting about the Swedes though as plenty of the top boys (In fact most of the SGB riders) ride there.

Thought that was last night as Glasgow lost at home to Ipswich.

Maybe staying on the South Coast today as a guest of Matt. You never know but that's just my mischievous mind playing games ;-)

Interesting about the Swedes though as plenty of the top boys (In fact most of the SGB riders) ride there.

Is that possibly the problem. The top riders are pricing themselves out of a job as fewer and fewer clubs can meet the salary expectations and surely the sport is bigger than the individuals. The clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly and one can only hope that British speedway does not shoot itself in the foot by offering silly money to attract the top names given the fallen attendances. Not so sure that a big name would put enough on the gate to make it worth while unless external sponsors are prepared to throw some cash into the pot. One can only hope that common sense will prevail.

• Like 2

Is that possibly the problem. The top riders are pricing themselves out of a job as fewer and fewer clubs can meet the salary expectations and surely the sport is bigger than the individuals. The clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly and one can only hope that British speedway does not shoot itself in the foot by offering silly money to attract the top names given the fallen attendances. Not so sure that a big name would put enough on the gate to make it worth while unless external sponsors are prepared to throw some cash into the pot. One can only hope that common sense will prevail.

Unfortunately this is where we get into the haves and have nots.

For sure clubs like Poole will be able to attract some decent names as Ford has always been good on the sponsorship side. For me (and as a Poole supporter) I would like to see some top riders in this Country and if a team can make it fit within the points limit should it not be individual choice ??.

Ultimately a team has say 42 or 45 points meaning if they sign a top rider (IF they secure the backing or can afford it) then the points for that rider will mean possibly weaker elsewhere. I believe in live and let live. Hardly call some of what's been going on this season a raging success.

Its all about opinion of course. I just don't think those clubs who want to bring the top riders to UK should be punished or made outcasts.

Sweden perhaps an accident waiting to happen. Too many of the top riders on the back of unworkable crowds (from what I have seen on TV). Also if their sponsorship deals are not great hardly surprising the problems with no points limit and must have 2 Swedes per team. It catches up with you. But having some of the top riders in UK is surely one for the individual Promoters/owners to decide if their budgets make it work.

Having 1/2 in teams is not the same as having 5 wage busters per team.

Unfortunately this is where we get into the haves and have nots.

For sure clubs like Poole will be able to attract some decent names as Ford has always been good on the sponsorship side. For me (and as a Poole supporter) I would like to see some top riders in this Country and if a team can make it fit within the points limit should it not be individual choice ??.

Ultimately a team has say 42 or 45 points meaning if they sign a top rider (IF they secure the backing or can afford it) then the points for that rider will mean possibly weaker elsewhere. I believe in live and let live. Hardly call some of what's been going on this season a raging success.

Its all about opinion of course. I just don't think those clubs who want to bring the top riders to UK should be punished or made outcasts.

Sweden perhaps an accident waiting to happen. Too many of the top riders on the back of unworkable crowds (from what I have seen on TV). Also if their sponsorship deals are not great hardly surprising the problems with no points limit and must have 2 Swedes per team. It catches up with you. But having some of the top riders in UK is surely one for the individual Promoters/owners to decide if their budgets make it work.

Having 1/2 in teams is not the same as having 5 wage busters per team.

Maybe if Sweden a car crash waiting to happen then perhaps Janowski and Milik for Poole 2018 not so stupid an idea ;-)

Sweden is going so badly. That's now 3 teams in last 2 years to go wrong. There main problem is there teams earn less than ours through sponsorship. Could see Magic and Milik back, could see Lindback if we don't get those guys.

Would people have Hans back next year. I change my mind about this topic every week. Lovely guy and a good captain and been there and done that everywhere!

But then also is slowly getting worse and worse. But at a slow rate, and is just a solid rider on a 7.5 ish average.

If it's a choice of Magic/Holder/Milik then it's a no brainer! But with the points limits unknown I'm not sure.

For me Hans is all based on the overall points building! If it's high then give him a big send off.

If it's low then bring him back at Captain and see if he can finally get his hands on the trophy!

Swedish Speedway was always going to go down the drain.

When i've watched Swedish speedway in the past and seen the attendances at meeting's I've always asked myself how clubs can afford top quality line-ups.

Think some boys will come back to Britain now. Obviously not riders like Dudek, Emil & Zmarzlik.

But riders like Kildemand, Iversen, Zagar.

I can't see many GP riders wanting to come to UK unless we have fixed days for racing.

. Monday Thursday Buster confirmed on Wednesday at Lynn. I think the FIM or someone is now validating that and then we will be good to go.

Vetlanda have already stated they will have to get rid of the GP riders.

Swedish Pirates= NKI will be back in the UK lives here and no gp next year.

Can't see Dudek, Emil, Zmarlik over here. But the rest have all stated interest.

We still haven't found out the rider who Matt offered biggest contact in Poole history to replace KK. Could have been Dudek or magic. We don't know

Edited by poolebolton
  • Like 1

. Monday Thursday Buster confirmed on Wednesday at Lynn. I think the FIM or someone is now validating that and then we will be good to go.

Can't see Dudek, Emil, Zmarlik over here. But the rest have all stated interest.

We still haven't found out the rider who Matt offered biggest contact in Poole history to replace KK. Could have been Dudek or magic. We don't know

Monday/Thursday Buster confirmed was being talked about!!! Until that's confirmed, the number of SGBP teams cannot be verified nor can the points limit. Hopefully the pre-AGM meeting will decide and it'll be leaked before the November dates!!? ;-)

Maybe someone can help me here.

I made a comment re the BSPA annual meeting on a post a while back and mentioned Matt Ford was not in the annual group photo last Nov. A poster commented that he doesn't usually attend.

IF that comment is correct then I question why arguably the most influential Promoter/owner of the modern era doesn't, as do they not require votes to get through things like points limits etc ?? If the Conference meeting discusses and ten decides to change something on the draft and he is not there then how can he influence what his feelings/thoughts are.

I could be wrong and the comment made earlier was not a serious one. I know he hasn't always seen eye to eye with some of the others on team building limits etc, but would appreciate any comments from anyone in the know how Matt gets around that if he doesn't attend.

Maybe someone can help me here.

I made a comment re the BSPA annual meeting on a post a while back and mentioned Matt Ford was not in the annual group photo last Nov. A poster commented that he doesn't usually attend.

IF that comment is correct then I question why arguably the most influential Promoter/owner of the modern era doesn't, as do they not require votes to get through things like points limits etc ?? If the Conference meeting discusses and ten decides to change something on the draft and he is not there then how can he influence what his feelings/thoughts are.

I could be wrong and the comment made earlier was not a serious one. I know he hasn't always seen eye to eye with some of the others on team building limits etc, but would appreciate any comments from anyone in the know how Matt gets around that if he doesn't attend.

Matt sends a representative in his absence.

Edited by Starman2006

Matt sends a representative in his absence.

Wow its not too dislike Football then where you have an agent to represent your interests.

Bet the 1/2 days of that meeting Matts mobile must be pretty hot then with all that goes on in the meeting via his representative ;-)

Matt does have CO-promoters you know!!

Yes appreciate that Skidder.

Just thought that as arguably the biggest voice in Speedway Promotion in the modern era he might want to be there.

But I am no expert on these things and I am sure that he has close contact with his CO - Promoter/s during those important meetings when it comes to things like vote casting etc.

Thanks for clarifying.

I haver never understood why the main man does not go to the agm

Could it be personality clashes with some of the other Promoters and Chapman ???

We all know Matts forward thinking ideas on the sport and points limits etc have not always been matched by the have nots of the Prem.

I could be wrong but perhaps that has a bearing on it. Either that or Matt too busy unearthing the next big signing for Poole ;-)

• Like 2

Magic