British Speedway Forum

What Are Peoples Opinions Of These Five Legends.?

Sidney the robin

I was wondering what people's memories and opinions were of these five legends.? These five were high up in my favourites outside of just riding but in what they contributed to Speedway. 1./ J.HOSKINS 2./ D. OLIVER. 3./ R.FEARMAN. 4./ E. BOOTHROYD. 5./ M. PARKER if not those others can be mentioned LEN SILVER another man i respect alot as a example.

Johnnie Hoskins contributed an enormous amount to speedway over the years. He was a master publicist and popularised the sport wherever he went. His longevity meant that many generations of speedway goers benefited from his involvement. He was my first promoter (New Cross) and he certainly added to my enthusiasm for the sport with his stunts, his articles in the programme and the speedway press and his sheer presence and force of personality at meetings.

Having said that, what he did NOT do, however, was invent speedway at West Maitland in 1923!!!

More off-track legends must include A J Hunting, Bill Cearns, Fred Mockford, Arthur Elvin and Ronnie Greene.

I was wondering what people's memories and opinions were of these five legends.? These five were high up in my favourites outside of just riding but in what they contributed to Speedway. 1./ J.HOSKINS 2./ D. OLIVER. 3./ R.FEARMAN. 4./ E. BOOTHROYD. 5./ M. PARKER if not those others can be mentioned LEN SILVER another man i respect alot as a example.

I never met him - but I didn't like him.

Why?

For what he did to the Sunderland 'Saints' back in 1964.

I have a lot of respect for Len Silver.

Arthur 'Westy' Westwood should be added to the list.

Ian Thomas,John Berry,Wally Mawdesley , also deserve a mention Berry was someone i admired alot.He could of made a difference and changed Speedway for the better in England if he was given the chance a chance missed.Dent Oliver also was brilliant at Belle Vue it was such a shame he died in 1973 because his record of bringing young riders through was brilliant and his training track days were a massive success.

• Like 1

I never met him - but I didn't like him.

Why?

For what he did to the Sunderland 'Saints' back in 1964.

I have a lot of respect for Len Silver.

I don't normally quote myself - but - I forgot to mention Bill Bridgett, Parkers partner in crime when it came to Sunderland. My comments apply to both.

Ian Thomas,John Berry,Wally Mawdesley , also deserve a mention Berry was someone i admired alot.He could of made a difference and changed Speedway for the better in England if he was given the chance a chance missed.Dent Oliver also was brilliant at Belle Vue it was such a shame he died in 1973 because his record of bringing young riders through was brilliant and his training track days were a massive success.

John Berry was someone I admired greatly and how speedway could do with someone like him now.

• Like 1

John Berry was someone I admired greatly and how speedway could do with someone like him now.

I couldn't agree more steve.

I admired him too. Very forward thinking for his time, he could see things in Speedway that others couldn't. Had he been listened to by 'the powers that be' all of those years ago - Speedway would probably be in a much healthier state than it is now.

• Like 1

​There are contrary opinions in regard to the involvement of Mike Parker with speedway, mainly in the 1960s onwards. There is no doubt he was in speedway terms a controversial figure.

​His main good point was his projection of the Provincial League in the 1960s. This often controversial project was IMO the saving of British speedway at the time. There can be no doubt that 'official speedway' at that time was in big trouble.

Parker 'created' the league and used several teams under is own promotion, and was soon joined by other tracks that were outside the orbit of the National League and the Conrol Board.

Later in the decade Parker was 'forgiven' by officialdom, the Provincial League and National League made the peace and it resulted in a wonderful boom period extending well into the circa early 1980s.

​Parker has been criticised for the way he ran his speedway promotions. But the basic factor is that Parker was not an ingrained speedway supporter - his own motorsport preferences were initially midget car racing, then stock car/small oval car racing.

He ran his speedways - and other motor sport promotions - on a business level. This was as a financial venture that needed to make a profit - if they were not viable financially he had no interest in carry them as - I think the phrase is correct - Loss Makers. If a club failed to meet a certain financial criteria my opinion is that he was not prepared to let profits from his other promotional ventures subsidise the less successful parts of his promotional empire purely through sentiment.

I hold no personal brief in favour of Mike Parker. I never met or had any dealings with him. My analysis as outlined is based purely on my assessment of his activities as I read about them over the years. No more than that.

Edited by Guest

​There are contrary opinions in regard to the involvement of Mike Parker with speedway, mainly in the 1960s onwards. There is no doubt he was in speedway terms a controversial figure.

​His main good point was his projection of the Provincial League in the 1960s. This often controversial project was IMO the saving of British speedway at the time. There can be no doubt that 'official speedway' at that time was in big trouble.

Parker 'created' the league and used several teams under is own promotion, and was soon joined by other tracks that were outside the orbit of the National League and the Conrol Board.

Later in the decade Parker was 'forgiven' by officialdom, the Provincial League and National League made the peace and it resulted in a wonderful boom period extending well into the circa early 1980s.

​Parker has been criticised for the way he ran his speedway promotions. But the basic factor is that Parker was not an ingrained speedway supporter - his own motorsport preferences were initially midget car racing, then stock car/small oval car racing.

He ran his speedways - and other motor sport promotions - on a business level. This was as a financial venture that needed to make a profit - if they were not viable financially he had no interest in carry them as - I think the phrase is correct - Loss Makers. If a club failed to meet a certain financial criteria my opinion is that he was not prepared to let profits from his other promotional ventures subsidise the less successful parts of his promotional empire purely through sentiment.

I hold no personal brief in favour of Mike Parker. I never met or had any dealings with him. My analysis as outlined is based purely on my assessment of his activities as I read about them over the years. No more than that.

Sunderland was closed by Mike Parker and Bill Bridgett so that they could take our (Sunderland) Riders and put them in to the Newcastle and Wolverhampton Teams in order to improve them. That is the only reason that Sunderland closed. All is laid out here.

See below:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/stats/1964/1964_Season.html

Sunderland was closed by Mike Parker and Bill Bridgett so that they could take our (Sunderland) Riders and put them in to the Newcastle and Wolverhampton Teams in order to improve them. That is the only reason that Sunderland closed. All is laid out here.

See below:

http://www.sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/stats/1964/1964_Season.html

The 'Speedway Star' item 'Heads and Tales' does indicate attendances were not up to expectations despite one attempt where 10,000 free tickets were given out. This it appears brought in a good attendance but subsequent attendances were again below what I presume then was a break level?

I note that 'Speedway Star' also mentions the possibility of open meetings taking place. Sadly, it would appear that never happened?

As I see the matter, Parker and Bridgett were also facing team problems at Newcastle and Wolverhampton. Presumably attendances at these tracks were better than Sunderland's and their sacrifice was needed to keep the other tracks operational. To have not made what must have been a difficult choice Sunderland was chosen as the sacrifice to keep Newcastle and Wolverhampton running?

And the decisive and LOGICAL criteria could be that the two be chosen out of the three were Newcastle and Wolverhampton because they MAY have had better attendances and therefore were worth the nod of approval to stay in speedway.

Edited by Guest

But it does state Sunderland didn't get the breaks.All but one meeting were affected by rain.......that old story.How it might have been if they had a string of meetings in good weather,i wonder?

• Like 1

But it does state Sunderland didn't get the breaks.All but one meeting were affected by rain.......that old story.How it might have been if they had a string of meetings in good weather,i wonder?

.Dent Oliver also was brilliant at Belle Vue it was such a shame he died in 1973 because his record of bringing young riders through was brilliant and his training track days were a massive success.

Same could be said of Frank Varey at Sheffield, the big difference being we weren't allowed to rum a 'B' team in the league