British Speedway Forum

Gentleman George Barclay

George Barclay had a distinguished and respected speedway career. Here is a tribute to him as carried on the National Speedway Museum website.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/george%20barclay.html

...yes he was one of speedway's true inspirations and lesser sung heroes.

Edited by steve roberts

George is indeed a true Gentleman in the real sense of the word.

I have been privileged, over the years, to have been friends with George. When he came to Sunderland in 1971 he immediately became involved with Supporters of Sunderland 'Stars'. He is a friendly person who also always seems to have time for everyone.

George and Linda were almost totally responsible for the raising of the money required to get the National Speedway Museum up and running. I believe he and Linda visited every Track in the Country to raise the Cash.

He has travelled many times to Sunderland to attend our Reunions over the years.It is always a genuine pleasure to see him.

Thank you for this Thread gustix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having been lucky enough to have had a few chats with George at Lakeside, I have to say he is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Gentleman George is indeed the perfect nickname for him.

I agree 100% with that. Speedwáy is lucky to have people like that . He was called Gentleman George because he had been offered terms by Dave Lanning to ride for West Ham then Len Silver tried to poach him but as he had already given his word to Lanning he stuck to the deal with Lanning. If George gave his word he would stick to it. That was why Len Silver coined the nickname Gentleman George. He did of course eventually ride for Len Silver at Sunderland (I think it was Sunderland anyway),

One reason Speedwáy is in such a mess is because there are not enough people like Gentleman George around. He is far too honourable to be involved with the Cowboys that run the sport these days.

• Like 1

I agree 100% with that. Speedwáy is lucky to have people like that . He was called Gentleman George because he had been offered terms by Dave Lanning to ride for West Ham then Len Silver tried to poach him but as he had already given his word to Lanning he stuck to the deal with Lanning. If George gave his word he would stick to it. That was why Len Silver coined the nickname Gentleman George. He did of course eventually ride for Len Silver at Sunderland (I think it was Sunderland anyway),

One reason Speedwáy is in such a mess is because there are not enough people like Gentleman George around. He is far too honourable to be involved with the Cowboys that run the sport these days.

He did indeed. 1971 to 1974.

He is a 'Gentleman' in the truest sense of the word.

http://sunderlandspeedway.co.uk/profiles/George_Barclay.html