British Speedway Forum

The Draft 3 Years On

Was reflecting on Team GBs performance at the weekend and although the BSPA get a lot of (justifiable) stick, I think they should be applauded for this move.

3 of the 5 were products of this scheme and when you think about it, I would never have imagined that it would have yielded the success it has.

Whilst we will probably never compete with Poland in this area, I think the future for British riders looks healthy so fair play to the guys.

Who else can make the jump?

Was reflecting on Team GBs performance at the weekend and although the BSPA get a lot of (justifiable) stick, I think they should be applauded for this move.

3 of the 5 were products of this scheme and when you think about it, I would never have imagined that it would have yielded the success it has.

Whilst we will probably never compete with Poland in this area, I think the future for British riders looks healthy so fair play to the guys.

Who else can make the jump?

While I agree that it was a good move and certainly brought some riders on, who were the three?

Not sure if it was 3 of the 5. Harris, Cook and Lambert weren't part of it I believe.

Worrall was at Swindon as a draft rider. Not sure about Ellis. Was he at Poole?

Only 2 were. And as the rules said you had to have an U21 rider it was always likely going to be the case one of them was. Still think the draft was mostly a good thing though, even if they got it a bit wrong.

Had Rosco had Lambert in reserve, as he should have done, then it would have only been Worrall from the draft

Edited by SCB

I stand corrected.

Lambert wasn't actually part of the draft although he would have been eligible?

I pretty much count him anyway as it suits my original post!

Whatever the case may be, the point is, it has elevated riders to another level.

Even someone like Paul Starke, who was in obscurity is now a dependable, competent rider in both leagues.

Steve Worrall is the obvious success story.

Ellis is French, so that doesn't count

Was riding for the TeamGB on Saturday, so British and does count.

Edited by Tsunami

Steve Worrall was riding with his brother, Richie, in the Scunthorpe NL team in 2011, a couple of years before the EDR was brought in.

The EDR system was not thought through as it brought the young kids in straight at the deep end. To me, the young lads need the experience riding at different levels as it should have been NL to PL then PL to EL(old league titles)

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 1

But they've got rid of it again, so if they deserve applause for bringing it in, they surely deserve stick for getting rid of it!

But they've got rid of it again, so if they deserve applause for bringing it in, they surely deserve stick for getting rid of it!

It produced problems in averages and going up the team, so the scheme was looked at. After criticism on here, the BSPA dropped it for now, but I think could return sometime in the future.

It served two purposes at the time, saving money and giving the best youngsters an accelerated route and many riders have benefitted from it.

Remember that if the level of guests is to be lowered or eliminated, and less foreign lower order riders not employed, any scheme like the EDR is to be applauded.

Love to be there when you say it to him

...or his Dad.

Ellis is French, so that doesn't count

Was riding for the TeamGB on Saturday, so British and does count.

Love to be there when you say it to him

Some of you have no SOH :P If Woffy is an Aussie then Adam is French I think was the humorous "point" being made

Some of you have no SOH :P If Woffy is an Aussie then Adam is French I think was the humorous "point" being made

I wondered that myself, but the point has been made on about 3 different threads so I began to have my doubts.

Actually if Woffy is an Aussie, Adam isn't French because they are different scenarios because Adam was born in France. If Adam is French then Jason Crump is British is a better parallel, but nobody seriously considers Crump British, so, therefore, if it is a joke it doesn't work.

• Like 1

I wondered that myself, but the point has been made on about 3 different threads so I began to have my doubts.

Actually if Woffy is an Aussie, Adam isn't French because they are different scenarios because Adam was born in France. If Adam is French then Jason Crump is British is a better parallel, but nobody seriously considers Crump British, so, therefore, if it is a joke it doesn't work.

Crumpy is British! I always justified my support of him in the GPs because he was the GP rider born closest to where I was. At Cardiff he was the "local" really, nobody else whos ridden in a GP at Cardiff has been born closer!

The BSPA may have gone round this system the wrong way in some areas but I believe it has pushed riders on in their development.

Some riders may have gone back down a league, doubling up etc but they're all better than they were.

To me, that's a successful scheme, not everyone one of our it will be a world beater but it looks them on the road to knowing what the best of the best do.

• Like 2

The BSPA may have gone round this system the wrong way in some areas but I believe it has pushed riders on in their development.

Some riders may have gone back down a league, doubling up etc but they're all better than they were.

To me, that's a successful scheme, not everyone one of our it will be a world beater but it looks them on the road to knowing what the best of the best do.

Quite agree. Even if something doesn't work, you have still got to try things in an attempt to build up the British stock of riders.

Exactly. Woffy the Aussie, Lambert the German, Adam the Frenchman. Get Rory in the team too and we've hardly got a Brit riding for us :o

Or Mark Loram, Malta's only World Champion. Thank goodness for that proud Bristolian upholding British honour, Jason Crump! :wink:

Not to mention Lambert being German :)

Exactly. Woffy the Aussie, Lambert the German, Adam the Frenchman. Get Rory in the team too and we've hardly got a Brit riding for us :o

A bit like the England cricket team :)