British Speedway Forum

Sweden Their Greatest Five Ever ?

Sidney the robin

Olle Nygren's achievements included 5 world final appearances, including a third and two fourth places, a world team cup win in 1960 when he scored a maximum, as well as being a leading rider for virtually all of the 28 seasons he rode.

Rune Sormander appeared in 7 world finals, losing to Peter Craven in a third place run-off in 1957 and also won 4 golds and a silver in the Team Cup (1960-64).

Olle Nygren's achievements included 5 world final appearances, including a third and two fourth places, a world team cup win in 1960 when he scored a maximum, as well as being a leading rider for virtually all of the 28 seasons he rode.

Rune Sormander appeared in 7 world finals, losing to Peter Craven in a third place run-off in 1957 and also won 4 golds and a silver in the Team Cup (1960-64).

Good call with Olle

Obviously two pick themselves in Ove and TRick.Knutson must be the best of the rest.Then i would say Michanek and Olle.Sadly Tommy would only be included on potential rather than achievements in his career.At the point he sadly died he looked like he might well go on to be a true great.We will never know and can only speculate.He will always be my all time favourite though

From the names given:

i) Fundin

ii) Knutsson

iii) Michanek

iv) Rickardsson

v) Jansson

An honourable mention for Peter Karlsson who I personally admired very much both as a man and a Rider.

A biased view

Richardson

Fundin

Jonsson

Nordin

Harrysson

Michanek

I remember being in awe of the Swedish test teams in the late sixties, some of the Great Britain v Sweden test had fantastic line ups

Edited by Ken Morgan

Did you ever see Michanek.?

Not live, he had retired by the time I started going as a youngster in 81. Seen world final etc. footage. But would have to be the 4th best rider of the 70s on his record, just behind PC.

Also haven't seen Jansson but not sure he should be ranked ahead of jonsson who managed a world title despite a prematurely curtailed career. But understand he was an incredible talent.

Edit: the only one of the riders being discussed here that I did see live is per jonsson, and that was before he emerged as world class.

Sjosten was a terrific rider Sjosten, Lofqvist,Nordin,Nygren, B.Jansson Persson, all deserve a mention.I saw quite alot of Jonsson he partnered Holloway at Reading at times he was a talent.Hagonshocker another forum nut 🤓 also saw alot of him he always liked him have to say at the time Jimmy Nilsen seemed to be rated higher.

Edited by Sidney the robin

What about Henka Gustafsson then sid?Does he deserve a mention?Well he got one there anyway,oops!!

Really liked him "iris a real talent exciting world class when Lee had self destructed he helped Lynn in those few years to replace him.You are a longtrack buff how would you rate Michanek in that sphere.? Michanek is certainly up there in amongst the greatest riders i have ever seen underrated in my opinion.

Really liked him "iris a real talent exciting world class when Lee had self destructed he helped Lynn in those few years to replace him.You are a longtrack buff how would you rate Michanek in that sphere.? Michanek is certainly up there in amongst the greatest riders i have ever seen underrated in my opinion.

Missed Henka's career,but heard he was a really exciting rider.Tbh i wouldn't call myself a longtrack buff Sid.Only been to a few meetings and couldn't rate Anders in that scene,but on the speedway track he did have a few seasns where he was fantastic