British Speedway Forum

England World Beaters 1974 - 78

steve roberts

Just finished watching the superb DVD 'England World Beaters' and a fabulous DVD it was to...taken from high quality cine film.

When England dominated the world scene (okay there were a couple of blips during that period) but what talented riders...Collins, Simmons, Wilson, Betts, Jessup, Kennett, Ashby, Davis etc etc and many who came thru' the old Second Division which proved to be a great production line...sadly no longer!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Great times and riders the 1975 team that rode at Norden are my favourites .I know i did not see Norden at its best in 1983 but i really liked the track i still have not got over Mike Lee not winning his second World Championship.

Forgetting John Louis of course but Norden (1975) was Martin Ashby's greatest moment in my view...pure class and very under-rated although he did ride for the auld enemy 'The Budgies'!

• Like 2

Just finished watching the superb DVD 'England World Beaters' and a fabulous DVD it was to...taken from high quality cine film.

When England dominated the world scene (okay there were a couple of blips during that period) but what talented riders...Collins, Simmons, Wilson, Betts, Jessup, Kennett, Ashby, Davis etc etc and many who came thru' the old Second Division which proved to be a great production line...sadly no longer!

Thanks, Steve, glad you enjoyed watching it. Amazing that this footage has come to light some 40+ years after that golden era but, as you say, the colourful cine film is of a high quality.

Forgetting John Louis of course but Norden (1975) was Martin Ashby's greatest moment in my view...pure class and very under-rated although he did ride for the auld enemy 'The Budgies'!

When we told 'Crash' that the 1975 World Team Cup final is included on the England World Beaters DVD, he couldn't wait to get his hands on a copy and phoned our office last week to arrange for one to be posted to him.

What pleased him, in particular, was that our footage doesn't only include all 16 heats of the main meeting, it has the all-England race in the second-half, which shows him coming from behind to beat PC, Simmo and John Louis before going on to win the Victor Ludorum. As you say, his career highlight.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 2

Thanks, Steve, glad you enjoyed watching it. Amazing that this footage has come to light some 40+ years after that golden era but, as you say, the colourful cine film is of a high quality.

When we told 'Crash' that the 1975 World Team Cup final is included on the England World Beaters DVD, he couldn't wait to get his hands on a copy and phoned our office last week to arrange for one to be posted to him.

What pleased him, in particular, was that our footage doesn't only include all 16 heats of the main meeting, it has the all-England race in the second-half, which shows him coming from behind to beat PC, Simmo and John Louis before going on to win the Victor Ludorum. As you say, his career highlight.

Always liked the story Simmo relates that during that particular race "there was I and PC riding long track style and Martin comes thru' smoking his pipe!"

• Like 2

Always liked the story Simmo relates that during that particular race "there was I and PC riding long track style and Martin comes thru' smoking his pipe!"

Have you read Simmo's Book steve - it is excellent.

• Like 1

Have you read Simmo's Book steve - it is excellent.

Yes...I have most of the aforementioned books and many statistical ones like Peter Oakes Yearbooks and Alan Robertson's quite superb editions of 'The History of British League Speedway'.

Dave Morton's a great read and I still read my copy of 'Speedway Walkabout' by Johnnie Hoskins and Ivan Mauger's "Tripe Crown Plus' plus many others. I also have a couple of magazine articles by Bob Ferry about the 'Great' Jack Millen!

Books I'd like to see published? Gordon Kennett and a more comprehensive one by Hans Nielsen amongst many others I could name.

• Like 1

Steve, just out of interest, what was your favourite segment of the England World Beaters DVD?

And I hope my waffle didn't spoil it for you too much!

Edited by tmc

Steve, just out of interest, what was your favourite segment of the England World Beaters DVD?

And I hope my waffle didn't spoil it for you too much!

Enjoyed it all of it but I guess the qualifying meeting at Reading (1978) where one of my all time favourites, Gordon Kennett, made an all to rare appearance.

Superb stuff and can't wait for 'The Rebels' DVDs that you'll soon be releasing...great days!

Edited by steve roberts