British Speedway Forum

British Track Tour - Places, Faces & What You Remember

TonyMac

When did they stop using the two-tier stand on the back straight at Ipswich? Remember when it used to be packed for league matches.

An oddity at Wimbledon, which caught out the odd first-time visiting rider, was the start and finish line being in different places so that the circuit conformed to the minimum length requirement. Saw one or two shut the throttle off too early and be pipped at the finish line.

I remember Exeter......

Bob Kilby and Nigel Boocock giving it large and up high on the banked corners. I remember going there in 1971 (I think). We just happened to be on holiday in Devon when the Bees were there, so we went, as new fans of the sport. And we came away with a 40-38 win. Happiness or what?

And then, much later, as a sidecar passenger, I was privileged to race there in the year before it closed. A thrill indeed, let me tell you. A fast track, of course. But to race in those famous tyre tracks was special. Sometimes you add together your life experiences and realise you have been given something special.

The people watching you get ready to race in the pits from their bedroom windows was kind of interesting too!

• Like 1

Now you've got me on a roll.....

I remember Soldier Boy at Leicester.

I remember the trumpet player from Ipswich.

I remember the Tetley's at Halifax.

I remember the big dipper overlooking the track at Hyde Road.

I remember 90,000 people at Wembley when the most gifted speedway rider ever won the World Final. [yes you can disagree].

I remember Ole Olsen's helmet colour coming off and jamming his rear wheel at White City.

I remember Bruce Penhall at White City..... (maybe I shouldn't finish that one?).

I remember Nigel Boocock offering the no.1 race jacket to Ole Olsen. I remember Ole turning it down.

I remember Alan Molyneux scoring at least 2 points a meeting more because he rode with Ole Olsen.

I remember Les Owen's multiple waves following a race win. I remember Les Owen.

I remember Peter Collins at Brandon on his new 4 valve Weslake. I remember Ole Olsen beating him on his 2 valve Jawa.

I remember Sam Ermolenko and Simon Wigg on their laydowns at Hull when they were banned in Britain.

I remember Telford (many times). Bring that one back.

I remember going to Coatbridge for a challenge match in a car for over 6 hours, with 4 other guys. Arriving 30 seconds before heat 1 and then getting thrashed 50-28 (or there abounces). Circa 1973.

I remember Danny King at Cardiff. Jason Garrity's 100% exclusion record in the GPs (so far). I remember Tony Rickardsson's wall of death at Cardiff.

I remember Tony Rickardsson riding most of a GP at Hackney with a broken collar bone to secure a podium place for the overall championship.

I remember Britain (England?) and Sweden, at Wembley, ending on a 39 point draw in the Daily Mirror World Team thingy at Wembley (okay so the memory is a bit sketchy). But I do remember Anders Michanek fetching off Peter Collins, after the meeting ended 39-39, in a run off and getting excluded giving us the win. We raced home and saw the TV coverage (replay). I remember Barry Brigg's analysis.

I remember meeting Barry Briggs and Anders Michanek at the European Championship in Regensburg, 1973. Anders had won the meeting.

• Like 4

When did they stop using the two-tier stand on the back straight at Ipswich? Remember when it used to be packed for league matches.

Blown over in the storms of 1987 (??) I think.

I believe it was originally part of the football ground at Portman Road before being moved to Foxhall.

Ironically I now sit in the new stand right above the section of terrace that Id stand on with my dad as a youngster.

Used to collect up the sweets thrown into the crowd during the parade.

Also liked to get much closer when you were able to stand right up behind the stock car fence. Ah the old red and white steel panels - perfect to hide behind as protection from the the flying shale.

• Like 1

Whit Monday 1976

Reading v Hackney 11am

White city v hull 3pm

Wimbledon: internationale 730pm

Timings from memory might be wrong

What a great day out

Instead of White City, I did the afternoon meeting at Rye House that day - between attending the other two you mention.

• Like 1