British Speedway Forum

Davey Watt Retires

Didn't seem to put him off at Coventry in 2015 - you know on the Sky meeting that was curtailed at heat 10 with Watt (8+1) and Holder (6) out on the track ready to race, but the Bees refusing to send any riders out!!!! lol ;-)

Edited by Skidder1

I remember him p!ssing Tim Sugar off at Smallmead when guesting for the Racers once too. Not much ruffled Tim, but Watt's refusal to ride a heat 15 decider on a 'damp' track certainly wound Tim up.

You were lucky you only had him for 1 meeting. We rescued his career in 2002, and through his lack of effort, lost a Cup Final and the Premier League championship the year after we won it in 2001.

Not bitter mind, but Bye bye.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

You were lucky you only had him for 1 meeting. We rescued his career in 2002, and through his lack of effort, lost a Cup Final and the Premier League championship the year after we won it in 2001.

I'm glad he's walked away from the sport of his own accord (albeit maybe with a bit of a boot print on his @rse), there are too many riders who don't have this option. But he's not going to be a rider who I miss.

He added 2pts to his average did he not?

He had averaged 5.45 in his first year with Isle of Wight.

In his second season for Newcastle averaged 7.49.

How does that equate to him losing the league Championship? Seems his improvement would have been a major factor in you being in contention.

The Cup Final, I don't know about, if you say he didn't try in that, fair enough.

Can only speak as I have found and he was excellent for Lynn in 2003 as well as on the majority of visits as a visiting rider. Remember a great performance in the 2007 ELRC at Lynn when the track started of a little less than ideal.

Happy retirement.

He can't say he didn't get chances to get his form back, I feel he should of retired a long time ago, good rider in his day and wish him a happy retirement.

another washed up Aussie ,who kept getting chance after chance , should have quit 3 years or more back ,then a british rider could have had his team places

• Like 1

He added 2pts to his average did he not?

He had averaged 5.45 in his first year with Isle of Wight.

In his second season for Newcastle averaged 7.49.

How does that equate to him losing the league Championship? Seems his improvement would have been a major factor in you being in contention.

The Cup Final, I don't know about, if you say he didn't try in that, fair enough.

There's a lot you don't know about this matter, but I prefer not to put it on here. Turning up and not trying in key meetings didn't enamour him with anybody and that was just the minor thing.

BTW Haven't got the averages to hand, but I remember we replaced Jesper Olsen, injured in our first meeting away at Hull for The Premiership, who was on about 7.10. Davey was just under that, and fortunately he was in this country, and we had him signed within about 15 minutes of that meeting end, with us 3 promoters in 3 different cars having triangular discussions on the deal. We could have announced it when we got home about 2.00am but waited till the morning.

Quickest transfer replacement ever.

Edited by Tsunami

I can only go off the excellent wwos site which has for 2001 the following for the Isle of Wight.

245 rides

334 pts

62 bonus

6.47 average (including bonus)

5.45 average (without bonus)

Following year for Newcastle

158 rides

296 pts

20 bonus

8.00 average (including bonus)

7.49 average (without bonus)

Looks like something that was very good, turned very sour, for whatever reason. I understand you don't wish to divulge.

I can only go off the excellent wwos site which has for 2001 the following for the Isle of Wight.

245 rides

334 pts

62 bonus

6.47 average (including bonus)

5.45 average (without bonus)

Following year for Newcastle

158 rides

296 pts

20 bonus

8.00 average (including bonus)

7.49 average (without bonus)

Looks like something that was very good, turned very sour, for whatever reason. I understand you don't wish to divulge.

Whatever it was at Newcastle it wasn't like it at Lakeside. Granted, Davey like most Aussies could have a short fuse st times and had his bad days but he wasn't appointed Captain for no reason. He was made Captain because he was always trying to work with the younger riders in the pits before and after races. He did great work with riders like Richard Lawson, Ben Morely and Adam Ellis, especially Lawson.

Davey is not perfect but when the balance sheet sheet of his career is made up, he gave the sport more than he took out.

Happy retirement Davey.

• Like 8

There's a lot you don't know about this matter, but I prefer not to put it on here. Turning up and not trying in key meetings didn't enamour him with anybody and that was just the minor thing.

BTW Haven't got the averages to hand, but I remember we replaced Jesper Olsen, injured in our first meeting away at Hull for The Premiership, who was on about 7.10. Davey was just under that, and fortunately he was in this country, and we had him signed within about 15 minutes of that meeting end, with us 3 promoters in 3 different cars having triangular discussions on the deal. We could have announced it when we got home about 2.00am but waited till the morning.

Quickest transfer replacement ever.

If you prefer not to put it on here then it would have probably been better for you not to bring it up at all (whatever it was).

Davy was a good servant to British speedway in general and I will always appreciate the effort he put in for Poole

• Like 3

Always be remembered fondly up here for getting stuck in traffic , heading for Armadale , and poor Buster Chapman collapsing causing the Monarchs promotion to claim he was playing for time . Monarchs still like to have a moan about that one 14 years later haha .

Happy retirement Davey

another washed up Aussie ,who kept getting chance after chance , should have quit 3 years or more back ,then a british rider could have had his team places

Davey was good in 0-15 so you got that wrong..

If you prefer not to put it on here then it would have probably been better for you not to bring it up at all (whatever it was).

Davy was a good servant to British speedway in general and I will always appreciate the effort he put in for Poole

Newcastle had nothing to thank Davey for anything in 2002. Speak as you find others have said, so I have.

Ironic that BWitcher has 'liked' your post, yet in an earlier post he was daring me to "have the balls to put it on here'.

Some people never change.

Edited by Tsunami

Newcastle had nothing to thank Davey for anything in 2002. Speak as you find others have said, so I have.

Ironic that BWitcher has 'liked' your post, yet in an earlier post he was daring me to "have the balls to put it on here'.

Some people never change.

Nothing ironic at all as I agree with his thoughts.

Either have the balls to say what the issue is or don't post at all.

You've chosen a retirement thread to take a pop at someone over something from fifteen years ago...

Tried to blame them for 'losing the league', when in fact said rider significantly increased their average and as such would have played a massive part in you being anywhere near the top of the league.

You also of course miss out the part where I accepted your explanation that you didn't want to post whatever the incident/s were.

• Like 1

I would like to say a big thank you to Davey for the time he spent at Kings Lynn. Always an entertainer and fine racer. I felt sad to see his career go on a downward spiral and end up how it did.

I'd like to remember the good times when he was a solid member of the Stars team. Have a good retirement from the sport Davey, and I wish you every success in whatever you choose to do in the future.