British Speedway Forum

Glasgow Tigers V Workington Comets Cl Sun 23rd April 2017 At 5pm

I have to be honest but heat 13 apart i was bored out my skull with that yesterday credit to the Comets they were slightly better at the gating competition than us, I really do not see the point off having young up & coming racers like Lunna, Bewley & Smith if they cannot prepare a track that allows passing.

Being honest for the first time i was questioning myself why i attend on a regular basis and the value i am getting for my hard earned but deep down i know i will still go every week.

Hopefully once the warmer weather arrives the racing will improve it has to , on the meeting Workington can count themselves unlucky not to get more than they did they were a more solid outfit than us yesterday and you can only wing it being a 3 man team and get away with it so many times before you are found out.

So prepare the track to allow racing and i reckon you will see the kids come to the fore.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 4

That Glasgow team is very top heavy. Can't see them winning too frequently on the road. Worrall flying though it appears.

They are top heavy but Bewley & Lunna are adequate back ups so longer term we will be fine, we still have not started to fire yet but once we do we will be up there.

Didn't find it boring. Few good races but right about the track. Why they never watered it after heat 5 is beyond me.

They did not have enough water because the water board had to cut the supply in the area dew to some emergency work and never gave them any notice they were putting water down most of the morning and when they went to refill the tanker again from the main they found it had been switched off and the big tank they keep on top of the hill was only enough to half fill the tanker to do the complete match so had to watch what they were doing plus the wind was drying the track as quick as the big tanker could spray it out

• Like 2

They did not have enough water because the water board had to cut the supply in the area dew to some emergency work and never gave them any notice they were putting water down most of the morning and when they went to refill the tanker again from the main they found it had been switched off and the big tank they keep on top of the hill was only enough to half fill the tanker to do the complete match so had to watch what they were doing plus the wind was drying the track as quick as the big tanker could spray it out

Thanks for that, explains a lot.

The track also looks like it could do with more dirt, tbh. I don't see any stockpiled though

• Like 1

The wheel and mesh on the back of the tractor dried the track out as much as the wind.

Hopefully once the warmer weather arrives the racing will improve it has to , on the meeting Workington can count themselves unlucky not to get more than they did they were a more solid outfit than us yesterday and you can only wing it being a 3 man team and get away with it so many times before you are found out.

Winging it is exactly right, although it was only our third home meeting we are fragile and the 0131 will more than turn us over on Saturday if we ride the same.

No way should Workington, Cook apart be running us close at home. I lost count of the number of last places we picked up against average riders. Perry had umpteen unsuccesful goes at passing Campton on the outside when the answer was to go hard under him. Its frustrating to watch when you see Bewley and Smith score decent points for Belle Vue from the same positions.

Im astonished to read Stewart Dickson say in the after match report he couldnt quite put his hand on what happened. Eh, the bottom four cant gate other than Lunna borrowing Summers bike in ht14. I know we are still in April and the younger riders need time to settle but they also need to convert their effort into points sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

have been to glasgow a few times over the years and sunday was no better or worse racing than i have seen there . apart from bewley passing mason campton on lap 3 it was follow the leader after bend 2 apart from ht 13. whose decision is it to water a track once a meeting has started,because the start marshall (not the one with the b***S) was watering the staring area whilst the kids were running can he make that decision or does both teams have to agree ?.

You have to admit speedway fans have long memories ;). 2 weeks ago lunna ( paid 11 form 4) and Bewley (paid 9 from 4), got all the plaudits. Lawson was slagged for going downhill and being a gater and summers was described as not being a no.1. Some thought there was too much dirt for the younger lads against Newcastle, despite Lunna and bewley scoring well, having complained that there wasn't enough dirt for the Scunthorpe match :o

This week we are slagged as being top heavy and the younger lads need to convert effort into points, o and the track was to slick again. Yes it was slick but like the Scunthorpe match there were reasons for this; it shouldn't be the norm. The bottom line is everyone bar young Jack have had reasonable or excellent home meetings and none of the meetings have been a foregone conclusion. OR do people just want predictable 75-15 home wins every week?

• Like 4

You have to admit speedway fans have long memories ;). 2 weeks ago lunna ( paid 11 form 4) and Bewley (paid 9 from 4), got all the plaudits. Lawson was slagged for going downhill and being a gater and summers was described as not being a no.1. Some thought there was too much dirt for the younger lads against Newcastle, despite Lunna and bewley scoring well, having complained that there wasn't enough dirt for the Scunthorpe match :o

This week we are slagged as being top heavy and the younger lads need to convert effort into points, o and the track was to slick again. Yes it was slick but like the Scunthorpe match there were reasons for this; it shouldn't be the norm. The bottom line is everyone bar young Jack have had reasonable or excellent home meetings and none of the meetings have been a foregone conclusion. OR do people just want predictable 75-15 home wins every week?

precisely, perhaps if worky had rolled over and been thumped by thirty points everyone would be happy,there again they'd get slated for not being proper opposition,seems you can't win either way
  • Like 3

this is comic book reading to all workington fans and others .

its a good job workington are a side tipped to be in the bottom slots , otherwise you would have been murrddeered . as taggart used to say .

rene is looking for a uk team !

• Like 1

Winging it is exactly right, although it was only our third home meeting we are fragile and the 0131 will more than turn us over on Saturday if we ride the same.

No way should Workington, Cook apart be running us close at home. I lost count of the number of last places we picked up against average riders. Perry had umpteen unsuccesful goes at passing Campton on the outside when the answer was to go hard under him. Its frustrating to watch when you see Bewley and Smith score decent points for Belle Vue from the same positions.

Im astonished to read Stewart Dickson say in the after match report he couldnt quite put his hand on what happened. Eh, the bottom four cant gate other than Lunna borrowing Summers bike in ht14. I know we are still in April and the younger riders need time to settle but they also need to convert their effort into points sooner rather than later.

bit disrespectful to worky and speedway in general,what is your definition of an average rider?I've seen some good tigers sides over the years at worky,and some not so good,but no-one has the divine right to beat anyone,let alone question a riderr ability
  • Like 4

People can come up with as many excuses as they like , bottom line is - it's a one line track at the moment and if you gate and don't make a mistake you wont get passed . Bewley's , Lunna's and Perry's gating is pretty rank at the moment and try as they might , there's nothing in the track for them when they try to overtake opponents . Had Workington another quality heat leader to back Cook up they would have won comfortably .

Thankfully our heat leaders can gate , apart from when Worrall penalised himself in heat 13 , and that got us home . Worky were solid , obviously Cook led the fight , but Jorgensen tried his best and Williamson rode well at reserve . The two second strings hadn't a last place between them which is all you can ask away from home .

If it's to be a gating competition every week , then we'll have to get our set ups right . Lunna only gated whilst riding Summers' bike in heat 14 , and what a crucial win that was .

The scoreline kept the meeting interesting , but heat 13 apart , it was a pretty dull affair .

Stewart promised us entertainment , in his programme piece for the Scunthorpe meeting , we're still waiting .

I love your comment "No way should Workington ,Cook apart " why the hell not, it showed yesterday Glasgow heat leaders scored 34 of your 46 points ....Bewley,Perry, Lunna are no better than Mason,Adam,Matt . Glasgow might be up there but if your other 4 don't come to the party you will struggle especially on away tracks where as we ran you to a last heat decider and took a point .

When Richie was getting interviewed after the meeting his words were when asked about Edinburgh "Be fine they aren't as strong as these lads today" and that's from of your top men

Be interesting to see how the Monarchs do next Sunday ...wink wink

I love your comment "No way should Workington ,Cook apart " why the hell not, it showed yesterday Glasgow heat leaders scored 34 of your 46 points ....Bewley,Perry, Lunna are no better than Mason,Adam,Matt . Glasgow might be up there but if your other 4 don't come to the party you will struggle especially on away tracks where as we ran you to a last heat decider and took a point .

When Richie was getting interviewed after the meeting his words were when asked about Edinburgh "Be fine they aren't as strong as these lads today" and that's from of your top men

Be interesting to see how the Monarchs do next Sunday ...wink wink

Love when riders come out with comments like that. "Be fine they aren't as strong as these lads today" can see that coming back to bite him.

• Like 1

Love when riders come out with comments like that. "Be fine they aren't as strong as these lads today" can see that coming back to bite him.

You'll need to up your game , we aint Berwick or an under strength Scunny .

• Like 2