British Speedway Forum

Cardiff Wild Card

I think saying he has no interest is a misrepresentation of his comments.

He has said he would be delighted to be considered if he felt he had the full backing of the British fans.

Without that he said it wouldnt feel right and he wouldnt want to be in position.

I think its fair to say the general reaction of fans has been mixed at best.

Where did you read that?

Guest GiveusaB

May be the fairest way to select, would be to give the wild card to the leading BRITISH rider in the most current green sheet averages at the time of the event ?

I hope it's Craig Cook, or Robert Lambert, both riders give their absolute everything imo.

Just select the bloody wildcard like every other nation does?!!

No - its a good idea to make the GB Championship worth a really good prize that every rider wants. The fact Schlien is now involved, and he should not get the Wild Card if he wins, is a complication the rules should cover.

• Like 1

It's lovely that the Gb Final winner gets the place but Danny King last year, what was the point? If Schlein, Nicholls or Harris get it this year? Whats the point. Can you imagine the Poles putting Pepe in? We should be sending Cook or Lambert to Cardiff - Lambert ideally but I can see the argument for Cook with the way he's riding. Anyone is a waste of time as they're never going to amount to anything in the GPs

In the war......

That's a warning, I'm an old bloke who has sometimes been known to look back to the "old days".

Back in the day, the British Final was a massive event. Held for the most part, on a Wednesday night at Brandon. Yes, it decided the British Championship but more importantly it was a step on the road to the World Final. And back then, we had Aussies and New Zealanders in the British rounds because they were part of the Commonwealth or Empire or whatever.

And then the British Championship meant nothing on the World stage and it lost all it's prestige. Riders took part, if at all, with little enthusiasm.

Then someone came up with the idea of sending the winner to Cardiff as the wildcard. A brilliant stroke, in my opinion. Now you could be British champion and take part in the British GP in front of 40,000 fans. Incentive indeed. Danny posted a good score at Cardiff last year and showed in one race that he certainly had the potential to compete on the World stage.

And so to this year. We look at the field and start to pick our favourites and likely candidates. Hang on, who's this? Rory Schlein? He's an Aussie ain't he? Well yes, but the BSPA have rules about residency, length of stay, passport etc. And he qualifies to take part. Ah but, he has said he has no intention of riding for Team GB. Oh well, he can't be British Champion. And even if he can, he ain't going to Cardiff. So let's see. If you disqualify yourself from riding for Team GB you can't be British Champion or go to Cardiff? Better not tell you know who.

You can't have your cake and eat it. Either Rory qualifies to be British Champion and the subsequent prize of going to Cardiff or he doesn't. Decide before the championships start.

• Like 1

......So let's see. If you disqualify yourself from riding for Team GB you can't be British Champion or go to Cardiff? Better not tell you know who.....

I did think someone might wonder who?