British Speedway Forum

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

Personally I think this tread is hypocritical, back in the 50's and 60's even the early 70's i think, team GB consisted of Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's. Obviously when we had enough good Brits to form a full team we didn't use the Aussies and Kiwi's, however they were still welcome to ride in the British league.

I'm not suggesting we use the Aussies to make up a half decent British team, but to ban them from our league is nonsense, plus our youngsters can only get better by riding against, and beating other young nationals.

• Like 1

Personally I think this tread is hypocritical, back in the 50's and 60's even the early 70's i think, team GB consisted of Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's. Obviously when we had enough good Brits to form a full team we didn't use the Aussies and Kiwi's, however they were still welcome to ride in the British league.

I'm not suggesting we use the Aussies to make up a half decent British team, but to ban them from our league is nonsense, plus our youngsters can only get better by riding against, and beating other young nationals.

We had a Aussie riding for team gb

This topic would be more credible if the reality was that Australian newcomers were flooding the UK and depriving able British youngsters of similar ability of team places.

So how many Australian newcomers have been signed on for 2017? - answer one, namely Josh Pickering at Edinburgh.

IIRC in 2016, there were two rookies from OZ, namely Jake Allen & Jye Etheridge.( Bradley Dean Wilson is a Kiwi, who appeared in the NL in 2015 btw)

Remember that such riders are already restricted by the employment visa criteria, as well as the 5 pt minimum assessed average in place for all new overseas newcomers.

Is not more effective to do as already suggested, that all riders, including British, are contractually obliged to honour their UK scheduled fixtures, the exception being clashes with their own national calendar. If they break this commitment, then they are immediately barred from UK domestic Speedway.

So where is the impending crisis that Shovlar is bleating on about?

Just because a couple of his Poole side (Jack Holder & Brady Kurtz) have signaled their intentions to head to Poland asap, the drawbridge should be shut to all future talent from the Antipodes?

The same scenario applies to Danes, Swedes, Germans, etc. and come Brexit, we can no doubt bar them as well, to be replaced by the flood of super talented British youngsters ready to take their places.

Aye, Right :rolleyes: .

• Like 3

Let us hope that this message gets through to the Nat League promoters and they give more chances to the youngsters in there teams I have always thought that was the aim of that League to many of the teams are full of riders that have been around for years and will in my mind never make it to a higher league.

• Like 1

Let us hope that this message gets through to the Nat League promoters and they give more chances to the youngsters in there teams I have always thought that was the aim of that League to many of the teams are full of riders that have been around for years and will in my mind never make it to a higher league.

lot's of rider's never seem to move out of the national league they seem to have reached there level in the sport
  • Like 1

Making it a career, shouldn't be an option.

Why?

Some riders just aren't good enough to move up or are at the tail end of their career and happy to stay involved. Nothing wrong in that.

Just like some riders aren't good enough to move up from 2nd division racing to top tier standard.

All riders have varied abilities.

No one should be punished for not being able to or wanting to move up.

• Like 4

Making it a career, shouldn't be an option.

Perhaps they are not ambitious enough.. Many turn up with good equipment, latest covers, multiple helmets in Red, Blue, White and Yellow/Black and fully sign written vans!

This league has morphed into something it was not designed for, career riders at there comfortable level...

This league needs better controls, age, years in speedway, etc... If they don't want to push on, or can't push on any further, then they need to Drop to amateur level, and let some other youngsters in, that perhaps can't get in due to the league being clogged up/bottle necked with these stagnated, reached their potential riders...

• Like 1

NL isn't a career it's an expensive hobby for many or a stepping stone to the higher leagues for the talented few.

Those riders who have dropped down the leagues have experience that is of great value to the youngsters, if they can pass that on and cover some of their costs what is the problem.

Those riders who have reached a level are needed to fill team places, there's hardly enough as it is now, do away with them and there is no league.

Why shouldn't riders turn up with good equipment if they are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, or more likely have grafted their asses off away from Speedway to buy?

Dropping to amateur level is not really an option as the gulf between that and NL middle order rider is huge.

At the end of the day it would be an issue if there were dozens of youngsters capable of riding at that level unable to get team places but unfortunately there aren't.

As for the Aussie riders while there are some who leave Britain behind for the money there are just as many who have been loyal to the British leagues. If you want loyalty from riders then really the system needs changing so they can be offered some in return.

British riders can be bought through by other means such as keeping them clear from the asset system until they have reached a certain average and giving them average reductions for team building purposes.

• Like 3

NL isn't a career it's an expensive hobby for many or a stepping stone to the higher leagues for the talented few.

Those riders who have dropped down the leagues have experience that is of great value to the youngsters, if they can pass that on and cover some of their costs what is the problem.

Those riders who have reached a level are needed to fill team places, there's hardly enough as it is now, do away with them and there is no league.

Why shouldn't riders turn up with good equipment if they are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, or more likely have grafted their asses off away from Speedway to buy?

Dropping to amateur level is not really an option as the gulf between that and NL middle order rider is huge.

At the end of the day it would be an issue if there were dozens of youngsters capable of riding at that level unable to get team places but unfortunately there aren't.

As for the Aussie riders while there are some who leave Britain behind for the money there are just as many who have been loyal to the British leagues. If you want loyalty from riders then really the system needs changing so they can be offered some in return.

British riders can be bought through by other means such as keeping them clear from the asset system until they have reached a certain average and giving them average reductions for team building purposes.

I'm afraid it is not a hobby, it's an official league, the "Winter Series" is a hobby....

Why?

Some riders just aren't good enough to move up or are at the tail end of their career and happy to stay involved. Nothing wrong in that.

Just like some riders aren't good enough to move up from 2nd division racing to top tier standard.

Great point Steve for me having a few old hands like Armstrong, Atkin,Mason really helps to bring some of the young lads on.Don't know what you think from say 2003/4 the Conference/NL has improved alot.
  • Like 1

Why?

If you look at the make-up of some sides, they appear to be doing very little to promote new or up and coming riders. While an experienced hand was always acceptable as a rider-coach, having three, four or five isn't.

• Like 2

Great point Steve for me having a few old hands like Armstrong, Atkin,Mason really helps to bring some of the young lads on.Don't know what you think from say 2003/4 the Conference/NL has improved alot.

I agree, it's a good thing to perhaps have an "old hand" in the team, perhaps riding manager...

His experience can be passed on to the youngsters...

In fact, it ought to be part of the team make-up.. six youngsters and one old hand

• Like 1

Whether we like it or not, The strength of so-called Premiership is a stepping-stone league, in much the same way as the old Division 2 used to be.

Whereas that was a stepping-stone to the more ambitious moving up into division 1, where riders had to ride to be competitive on the World stage, the top league in Britain is now a stepping-stoe to Poland where anyone with ambition has to ride.

If you are going to have a league of the strength it is now at, then that is unavoidable.

exactly. It adds to the league having decent standard riders continuing on their speedway career at a less hectic schedule. I think the standard of the league itself is vastly improved and dare I say a much more professionally run thing.

Some clubs coming into the league are adding to its standards also. Having been a part time fan of that standard league for a while I now see a lot more and that's what gives me most pleasure seeing the next generation progress. At Birmingham it was an absolute pleasure to watch the likes of Blackburn, Smith, zack, Hume progressing over the season and those 4 could well be in the world cup squad in 5 years time. Almost as pleasurable as watching my beloved Wolves win the title again.

If you look at the make-up of some sides, they appear to be doing very little to promote new or up and coming riders. While an experienced hand was always acceptable as a rider-coach, having three, four or five isn't.

I'm not sure about that. Team's that have old hands as the dominant force have been few and far between the past couple of seasons. Looking at last year's line ups only Stoke had a more prominent older standard of rider, whilst the likes of Hay in his late twenties is only a recent convert.

Most line ups had a good mixture with the prominence on youth and next generation.