British Speedway Forum

Time For Brits First. No More Aussies To Uk Speedway.

How Australia riders make it to Poland then less than 50% how team's are we going have with Brits only not many

Can we have this in English please?

I said elsewhere that overseas riders coming here to gain experience and improve their status, should have to sign-up to a minimum period here (say 5yrs). Time for the BSPA to counter what is going on. I wouldn't actually ban riders of any nationality but I would certainly impose a commitment clause.

• Like 6

your timing is typical SS, No big No 1 Aussie now at Poole, so nows the time to ban them. Great idea ........not.

To be fair to him, I don't think that's a reasonable arguement as Poole do have Brady Kurtz and Jack Holder in their side - who are in the exact mold of rider SS has spoken about in his opening post.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with riders 'using' the British Leagues as a period of development for want of a better term. At Somerset we have had our fair share and it's been great to have Kurtz, Jake Allen, Sam Masters etc in our side when we've bought them over. The problem for me comes when Poland comes a calling and Britain goes onto the back burner. As soon as Poland starts taking priority is the time when I would stop using these riders - regardless of which country they are from.

• Like 2

To be fair to him, I don't think that's a reasonable arguement as Poole do have Brady Kurtz and Jack Holder in their side - who are in the exact mold of rider SS has spoken about in his opening post.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with riders 'using' the British Leagues as a period of development for want of a better term. At Somerset we have had our fair share and it's been great to have Kurtz, Jake Allen, Sam Masters etc in our side when we've bought them over. The problem for me comes when Poland comes a calling and Britain goes onto the back burner. As soon as Poland starts taking priority is the time when I would stop using these riders - regardless of which country they are from.

You can bet your last penny that IF Poole still had C Holder, this topic would not of come from SS

• Like 1

Really though its only the riders from Australia where we have this issue. The USA is dead in the water and all other foreigners have their own leagues to race in. Australia have never had a league system and for decades have used the British leagues for a career. Time for it to end.

As for arguing Holder is no longer at Poole is a nonsense. We have two Aussies in our side and whats the betting once trained up they will disappear over the horizon along with Fricke?

Time for Brits to come first, second and third. If we did this within five years we will have some great talent representing our country.

Let the Poles bring the aussies through.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

Problem is when Poland start talking money they are gone..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

In order for our young riders to develop and tune their skills, we need the likes of Fricke,young Holder, J Allen etc,etc. As without them there will not be enough decent riders to test our own good young riders, just how good they are.

In order for our young riders to develop and tune their skills, we need the likes of Fricke,young Holder, J Allen etc,etc. As without them there will not be enough decent riders to test our own good young riders, just how good they are.

Disagree. There will still be continental riders to challenge the young Brits.

may not be after brexit though ?

Why not ? Brexit could take 3 years + to complete.

I don't see the problem. If a young Aussie football player joins a team in the Netherlands and progresses well, he is going to join a Premier League team who will pay him about five times what he was earning in the Netherlands. Nobody cares that it was the Dutch team that give him his chance. Can't blame the riders for going where the money is.

I don't see the problem. If a young Aussie football player joins a team in the Netherlands and progresses well, he is going to join a Premier League team who will pay him about five times what he was earning in the Netherlands. Nobody cares that it was the Dutch team that give him his chance. Can't blame the riders for going where the money is.

Yes but the Dutch team gets a transfer fee.

• Like 2

Yes but the Dutch team gets a transfer fee.

If he only had a one year contract it would be minimal at best. If we want an Aussie to stay for 5 years then give him a 5 year guaranteed contract. Loyalty is a two way street. If Matt Ford thinks it would make Poole stronger (not picking on Poole, applies to every team) he wouldn't hesitate to drop Brady Kurtz and he would not get paid any more.