British Speedway Forum

Club Closures Since 1990

R87

Just been having a quick look through Homes of British Speedway and am taken aback to discover that since I started watching in Speedway in 1990, 27 clubs have closed either permanently or temporarily. That's an average of one track each season, with some very illustrious names on the list.

Hackney (1991) Re-opened 1995 and closed again in 1996. NOT RUNNING

Wimbledon (1991) Re-opened 2002 and closed again in 2005. NOT RUNNING

Mildenhall (1992) Re-opened 1994. RUNNING

Milton Keynes (1992). NOT RUNNING

Stoke (1992) Re-opened 1994. RUNNING

Rye House (1993) Re-opened 2001. RUNNING

Newcastle (1994). Re-opened 1997. RUNNING

Cradley (1995). Re-opened 2010. RUNNING

Edinburgh (1995). Re-opened 1997. RUNNING

Kings Lynn (1995). Re-opened 1997. RUNNING

Middlesbrough (1996) Re-opened as Redcar 2006. RUNNING

Bradford (1997) NOT RUNNING

Skegness (1997) Re-opened, but closed again 1998 (NOT RUNNING).

Long Eaton (1998) NOT RUNNING

Linglithgow (2000) NOT RUNNING

St Austell (2003) NOT RUNNING

Camarthen (2004) NOT RUNNING

Hull (2004) NOT RUNNING

Exeter (2005) NOT RUNNING

Sittingbourne (2006) Re-opened 2013. RUNNING

Oxford (2007) NOT RUNNING

Reading (2008). NOT RUNNING

Weymouth (2010) NOT RUNNING

Newport (2012) NOT RUNNING

IOW (2013) Re-opened in 2016. RUNNING

Birmingham (2014) Re-opened 2015. RUNNING

Coventry (2017) NOT RUNNING

Edited by mb1990
  • Like 2

Was that the one where Shane Bowes and Jason Lyons got you a result in the last heat to win the meeting ???

Indeed it was , against Neil Evitts and Peter Carr , what a race , what a meeting :drink:

• Like 2

Just been having a quick look through Homes of British Speedway and am taken aback to discover that since I started watching in Speedway in 1990, 27 clubs have closed either permanently or temporarily. That's an average of one track each season, with some very illustrious names on the list.

Hull (2004) NOT RUNNING

Er no. Hull actually closed in September 2005 (sob!).

2004 was in fact our 'season in the sun' as Hull Vikings won the Premier League, the Young Shield and the PL Knock Out Cup....

• Like 1

Yet if you do an actual comparison of the tracks in operation in 1990 with the tracks in operation today, you will find:-

We have lost – Reading, Oxford, Bradford, Cradley Heath, Hackney, Wimbledon, Exeter, Long Eaton, Milton Keynes, and now sadly Coventry…. A total of 10 tracks.

But we have gained: Leicester, Somerset, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Workington, Birmingham, Buxton, Isle of Wight, Kent, Mildenhall and Plymouth…. A total of 11 tracks.

So we actually have more stadia staging speedway in 2017 than we did in 1990.

• Like 1

Guest compost

Strictly speaking didn't Glasgow also close in 1996 ? It was only the merger (or move) with/by Edinburgh as the Scottish Monarchs that kept the venue going.

During this time period haven't there been mid-season closures where there track was saved by a change of ownership ? Stoke and Middlesbrough come to mind (but I don't have the documentary support to be sure).

Strictly speaking didn't Glasgow also close in 1996 ? It was only the merger (or move) with/by Edinburgh as the Scottish Monarchs that kept the venue going.

During this time period haven't there been mid-season closures where there track was saved by a change of ownership ? Stoke and Middlesbrough come to mind (but I don't have the documentary support to be sure).

PS. Apologies if this appears more than once. Having a few problems.

Glasgow went burst at the end of 1995. Edinburgh, having lost Powderhall, moved into Shawfield and took the name Scottish Monarchs. They lasted one season before moving out to Armadale and a new promotion moved in to revive the Tigers.

PS. Apologies if this appears more than once. Having a few problems.

Middlesbrough closed for good (1996?) but have since re-opened as Redcar of course.

Guest compost

Middlesbrough closed for good (1996?) but have since re-opened as Redcar of course.

Sotonian, re Middlesbrough I meant what appears to have been a mid-season closure in 1995 (in the History forum I asked for details of the cancelled meetings). A better example of what I was referring to would be Plymouth's closure last year after only a few meetings and their subsequent revival under new management. Technically you could say that Plymouth should be added to the list of track closures since 1990 because of this.

daveallan81. Thanks, though I do remember the details. In that case then surely Glasgow should be added to the Track closure list (all of Glasgow. Plymouth and Stoke would of course be listed as 'closed but Running').