British Speedway Forum

Coventry's British Riders And Others

So young/ex edr possibly missing a PL place: Garritty R worrall kerr sarjeant bates nielsen s lambert. I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Why not say any side can replace a named reserve with a brit from a list with an average of up to 5 points higher (belle vue could build to 55 assuming they took one from the list).

Tough on the current reserves, but surely better for the sport to have a higher quality of British rider riding in the top flight.

So Somerset could upgrade Graversen to garritty, kl upgrade bailey to kerr etc.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

So young/ex edr possibly missing a PL place: Garritty R worrall kerr sarjeant bates nielsen s lambert. I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Why not say any side can replace a named reserve with a brit from a list with an average of up to 5 points higher (belle vue could build to 55 assuming they took one from the list).

Tough on the current reserves, but surely better for the sport to have a higher quality of British rider riding in the top flight.

So Somerset could upgrade Graversen to garritty, kl upgrade bailey to kerr etc.

Thoughts?

A really good option it makes sense but this joke of a sport is dictacted by numbers with no common sense and flexibility.
  • Like 1

But why would cash strapped teams pay a loan fee for a British rider when they have a foreign asset riding for them already?

The sport is simply reaping what it has sowed for the past 20 years..

Well meaning out of their depth amateurs trying to run something that needed professional, independent leadership....

Circa £20 million handed to the sport on a plate by Sky and we have what we have today.....?

The word incompetence doesnt even come close to doing it justice..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

I always thought there should be 'rider control' for overseas riders, they apply to come here and are offered a place at a club that needs them, this after all the British riders have been signed up. If the club can't meet the overseas riders terms or it isn't the club he hoped for, then tough, out he goes, we don't owe them a living.

• Like 1

Nielsen coming in for Grondal at Swindon would seem sensible, but then, of course, other teams would get a better option and all the normal "equality" stuff would come into play - and Swindon would probably prefer to have Worrall or Garrity.

There is a case for some sort of rider control coming into effect with this.

• Like 1

Given that most clubs have declared their teams, it would be very bad to start changing the rules at this late stage.

Obviously it is unfortunate for the riders involved, but none of the British riders are without a club and I'm sure over the course of the season those without a Premiership team will get picked up.

Given that most clubs have declared their teams, it would be very bad to start changing the rules at this late stage.

Obviously it is unfortunate for the riders involved, but none of the British riders are without a club and I'm sure over the course of the season those without a Premiership team will get picked up.

James Sarjeant is without a club

• Like 1

I have been saying for a few years we should shut the door on Australians and Americans ,and concentrate on British riders in British speedway , just got accused of Xenophobia by halfwit Liberals , or fans of any particular Aussie/Yank

well it wasn't hard to let Coventry build a team ,make plans to run at Leicester and include them in the fixture list , then pull the rug from under them . so telling a few journeymen Aussies to piss off and find some other mugs to pay their wages should be a piece of cake

• Like 2

James Sarjeant is without a club

Good point and unfortunate for Sarjeant, but I stand by my comment that you cannot change the rules after the majority have declared their teams.

well it wasn't hard to let Coventry build a team ,make plans to run at Leicester and include them in the fixture list , then pull the rug from under them . so telling a few journeymen Aussies to piss off and find some other mugs to pay their wages should be a piece of cake

This is a good point. I haven't been following this closely, what was the catalyst for the BSPA to suddenly decide to pull the plug on Coventry?

Good point and unfortunate for Sarjeant, but I stand by my comment that you cannot change the rules after the majority have declared their teams.

This is a good point. I haven't been following this closely, what was the catalyst for the BSPA to suddenly decide to pull the plug on Coventry?

I think , Conspiracy theory here ..Lol Sandhu offered to help the Bees financially at Leicester ,as part of his bigger plot to empty Brandon , as soon as it was all settled removed the offer of help , BSPA decided Coventry couldn't afford to run and pulled their license. if Leicester or belle Vue had failed to run this year , the BSPA would have been happy to see Coventry race in a ploughed field with 50p bond so as to ensure 8 teams for the Sky money , as there would have been 9 teams .Coventry were viewed as surplus to requirements .

• Like 1

But I think you can structure the rules in such a way that no team materially misses out, they can simply strengthen their weakest reserve to a stronger brit.

But I think you can structure the rules in such a way that no team materially misses out, they can simply strengthen their weakest reserve to a stronger brit.

That would put Swindon's British reserve out of a job.

But why would cash strapped teams pay a loan fee for a British rider when they have a foreign asset riding for them already?

The sport is simply reaping what it has sowed for the past 20 years..

Well meaning out of their depth amateurs trying to run something that needed professional, independent leadership....

Circa £20 million handed to the sport on a plate by Sky and we have what we have today.....?

The word incompetence doesnt even come close to doing it justice..

Well said. Whilst I applaud the BSPA for bringing the draft system in but it's many years too late.

I have mentioned this issue to CVS on and off for the past 10 years and it was always the same answer, they couldn't because it was against EU law.

Yet miraculously when it suits them they introduce it to cut costs, and we were still in the EU.

It's going to take a long time to see enough Brits being able to demand a team space in both leagues, unless of course they go down the one big league route again which will do more damage than good IMHO.