British Speedway Forum

The Darcy Ward Invitational 2017 - Poole

Its clear to see he is not a nice person before and after his accident. I just don't understand why people continue to donate to someone living in a lovely home on the gold coast while british riders in wheelchairs don't get the same support from british fans as everything is about DW43.

for anyone who hasn't seen the video from Friday https://en-gb.facebook.com/Darcy-Ward-Racing-352887824756078/

I never saw him ride personally so obviously can't comment on his on track endeavours but only know of his off track misdemeanours thru' what I have read in various places and am not impressed. John Berry was particularly critical in an article that appeared in the 'Backtrack' magazine some years ago.

• Like 1

Its clear to see he is not a nice person before and after his accident. I just don't understand why people continue to donate to someone living in a lovely home on the gold coast while british riders in wheelchairs don't get the same support from british fans as everything is about DW43.

for anyone who hasn't seen the video from Friday https://en-gb.facebook.com/Darcy-Ward-Racing-352887824756078/

I guess maybe because the clubs of the British riders who have suffered similar injuries don't seem to give a toss about them anymore?

I'd love nothing more than to support a benefit meeting for Garry Stead who was a fantastic servant to British Speedway, but it needs someone within the sport to make this happen. You can't really blame Poole for looking after one of their own, or Ward for that matter who I believe had a major part in getting this meeting to happen.

On reflection one thing I do know, is that I will never go to any kind of benefit meeting where Doyle and Holder are among the main draws again. The track was far from perfect on Friday night (and that;s down to Poole) but it was rideable, the only faller was on turn 3 yet we were told turn 1 and 2 were the problem. Whinging bloody aussies was the main problem - It only needed one to instigate the call off and they'd have all back each other up, I doubt Watt or Batchelor took much persuading not to continue the meeting. They let down a lot of supporters Friday night, and one of their supposed mates too, Still hopefully Holder got to his beloved Torun a bit earlier than planned because of the call off!!

• Like 4

Whinging bloody aussies was the main problem - It only needed one to instigate the call off and they'd have all back each other up, I doubt Watt or Batchelor took much persuading not to continue the meeting. They let down a lot of supporters Friday night, and one of their supposed mates too, Still hopefully Holder got to his beloved Torun a bit earlier than planned because of the call off!!

Interesting reading ive long thought Darcy comes across as ungrateful

So what's new? Some things/people never change.

• Like 1

I guess maybe because the clubs of the British riders who have suffered similar injuries don't seem to give a toss about them anymore?

I'd love nothing more than to support a benefit meeting for Garry Stead who was a fantastic servant to British Speedway, but it needs someone within the sport to make this happen. You can't really blame Poole for looking after one of their own, or Ward for that matter who I believe had a major part in getting this meeting to happen.

On reflection one thing I do know, is that I will never go to any kind of benefit meeting where Doyle and Holder are among the main draws again. The track was far from perfect on Friday night (and that;s down to Poole) but it was rideable, the only faller was on turn 3 yet we were told turn 1 and 2 were the problem. Whinging bloody aussies was the main problem - It only needed one to instigate the call off and they'd have all back each other up, I doubt Watt or Batchelor took much persuading not to continue the meeting. They let down a lot of supporters Friday night, and one of their supposed mates too, Still hopefully Holder got to his beloved Torun a bit earlier than planned because of the call off!!

Maybe a question needs to be asked to holder about Friday's race times compared to those of the play off semi finals if the track was that bad then everyone would see much slower times not faster ones as surely nobody would risk injury if they felt the track was that unsafe,

Just maybe holder and his mate was looking at a way to get back at poole and the owners knowing the DW43 money was collected and safe once the fans had entered the stadium.

You would not get those times on a bad track.

Play Off semi final

Heat 01: Holder, Kurtz, Karlsson, Lindgren. 5-1 time 61.09

DW43 meeting

Heat 01: Andersen,Watt,T.Kurtz.Grajczonek 59.78

Play Off semi final

Heat 04: Newman, Howarth, Buczkowski, Woffinden. 61.84

DW43

Heat 02 Przemyslaw Pawlicki,Sayfutdinov,Batchelor,Newman 59.16

DW43

Heat 07: Doyle,Holder,T.Kurtz,Batchelor... 59.69 a very fast race time just before they said the track was UNFIT

Nobody got under 60 seconds in 15 heats of the semi final play offs but they did on a track that was unfit ? I smell something

• Like 2

All sounds familiar from BV just 12 months ago. Track got a SCB licence just days before, riders tested it just days before, referee inspected it just hours before. Up popped the riders and meeting off.

Yes there was a problem (unidentified at the time) at BV, just as was a problem (dampness) at Poole....... but the result was the same.

Perhaps its as simple as....its just too cold for the riders in March.

• Like 1

Maybe a question needs to be asked to holder about Friday's race times compared to those of the play off semi finals if the track was that bad then everyone would see much slower times not faster ones as surely nobody would risk injury if they felt the track was that unsafe,

Just maybe holder and his mate was looking at a way to get back at poole and the owners knowing the DW43 money was collected and safe once the fans had entered the stadium.

That has crossed my mind too, especially as they didn't even bother to try riding the track again after the track staff had spent what seems like forever working on it. Heat 8 was one of the better races of those that did take place too!

Holder was apparently walking around the pits with a face like a smacked @rse well before the meeting was abandoned, would he of had a downer on the Poole promotion not signing the agreement that gives Poland priority on his little brothers racing schedule? He certainly seemed to on twitter.

Intersting, Ward stated on his live FB feed he was getting £160 a point in the UK and £1200 a point in Poland - it's obvious that the top Aussies are only riding the UK to get their visa's & work permits. Hopefully a few other promotions take the same stance as Ford has this year when it comes to signing up Aussie riders for 2018 and stop them and Poland taking the p*ss.

• Like 5

That has crossed my mind too, especially as they didn't even bother to try riding the track again after the track staff had spent what seems like forever working on it. Heat 8 was one of the better races of those that did take place too!

Holder was apparently walking around the pits with a face like a smacked @rse well before the meeting was abandoned, would he of had a downer on the Poole promotion not signing the agreement that gives Poland priority on his little brothers racing schedule? He certainly seemed to on twitter.

Intersting, Ward stated on his live FB feed he was getting £160 a point in the UK and £1200 a point in Poland - it's obvious that the top Aussies are only riding the UK to get their visa's & work permits. Hopefully a few other promotions take the same stance as Ford has this year when it comes to signing up Aussie riders for 2018 and stop them and Poland taking the p*ss.

I think your right about the visa and work permits.

As for last Friday, I had my doubts because of the race times previous to the meeting stopping, you wouldn't get those times on a bad track, it stopped because of other issues and I feel someone was making a point to poole speedway.

• Like 1

I think your right about the visa and work permits.

As for last Friday, I had my doubts because of the race times previous to the meeting stopping, you wouldn't get those times on a bad track, it stopped because of other issues and I feel someone was making a point to poole speedway.

As I stated before Jason Doyle was the ring leader.

• Like 1

Know wonder Matt was keen to get shot of him...

He was due out in heat 9 too and Holder in 10. Like I said, those two wouldn't of had to do much convincing with Batchelor & Watt to abandon the meeting, that's already more than a quarter of the starting line, and we all know how much and how loudly that quartet between them can whinge.

They will have already, and will again race on much worse tracks in the GP's. Just shows how much contempt they have for British Speedway now it's given them the springboard they needed. There really does need to be something put in place for 2018 ensuring the UK have priority on the racing schedule of all Aussies wanting UK clubs to sponsor their WP's and not Poland if they have a deal there too, if they don't agree then they get their Polish club to apply for their WP and base themselves there for the season. I'm not one to normally praise Matt Ford, but fair bloody play to him for being the only promoter to make a stand on the issue this year.

Edited by Wackie
  • Like 7

think these aussies are possibly getting to big for their boots,holder and doyle arent helping young aussies if british promoters kick the youngsters into touch.heard from someone in the pits doyle was standing by the gate almost stopping riders going out,they really screwed their so called mate darcy, it will take a brave promoter to attempt another dw benefit meeting

• Like 5

think these aussies are possibly getting to big for their boots,holder and doyle arent helping young aussies if british promoters kick the youngsters into touch.heard from someone in the pits doyle was standing by the gate almost stopping riders going out,they really screwed their so called mate darcy, it will take a brave promoter to attempt another dw benefit meeting

It would now make me think twice about attending a meeting with doyle or holder in as they both seem capable of getting a meeting called off in the uk even when the track is ok, they wouldn't do it in Poland.

• Like 1

While I don't grudge Darcy a benefit meeting,it's pretty obvious he made a few quid riding speedway before his injury ,he not as skint as people are making out.There are plenty of Badly injured British riders would like the number of meetings Darcy has had to help him.The riders attitude towards the fans nowadays will come back to bite them one day soon.
  • Like 8

While I don't grudge Darcy a benefit meeting,it's pretty obvious he made a few quid riding speedway before his injury ,he not as skint as people are making out.There are plenty of Badly injured British riders would like the number of meetings Darcy has had to help him.The riders attitude towards the fans nowadays will come back to bite them one day soon.

Who's making out he's skint mate ?

Who's making out he's skint mate ?

Several riders who begged FANS to pay £50k for ward to be flown back from Poland to the Uk when in fact £50k was a small amount to him and his mates.who were making a fortune in Poland but they thought the stupid fans would pay and they did and still continue to pay money to DW43 but they don't towards the British riders in wheelchairs who don't have a nice home on the gold coast or the privileged support ward gets that they didn't in their own country.

Time British fans supported their own.

• Like 3

Several riders who begged FANS to pay £50k for ward to be flown back from Poland to the Uk when in fact £50k was a small amount to him and his mates.who were making a fortune in Poland but they thought the stupid fans would pay and they did and still continue to pay money to DW43 but they don't towards the British riders in wheelchairs who don't have a nice home on the gold coast or the privileged support ward gets that they didn't in their own country.

and promotions

• Like 2

To be fair, I don't think Ward's insurance had paid out at that time and you can't blame him or his family for wanting to get him back to a country where English is the first language. I'm sure hospitals in Poland have improved vastly in recent years but when you're dealing with injuries such as his, and where decisions have to be made you want to make sure you fully understand what medical staff are saying and not get things lost in translation.

Ward is far from skint I'd imagine, but he's also not going to earn a lot in the future is he? If he wants to promote another benefit meeting for himself again in the UK, whose to say he shouldn't. He's being proactive - maybe there should be a few more riders who have paid a huge sacrifice to the sport banging on their old promoters door too to do something similar? Fans will always support benefit meetings, that's one of the best things about speedway supporters - but these meetings don't just happen by themselves.