British Speedway Forum

Oxford

14 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Imagine turning up for a league meeting and finding that the opposition were tracking Ivan Mauger at reserve, and he would be off a 10 yard start!

Hard to believe, but it happened to Bees once - 18 Jul 1963, at Oxford.
Result was a comfortable 44-34 win for Oxford, with Mauger top scoring with a 12 point maximum, and no.1 Ronnie Genz returning an 11 point tally.
Top Bee was Ken McKinlay with 12 from five rides, beaten twice by Mauger.

Mauger was beaten in the 2nd half by Nigel Boocock, who went on to win the Rider of the Night final.

Got me thinking about past, present and future World Champions who rode for Oxford over the years? The aforementioned Ivan Mauger and, of course, Hans Nielsen. Plus Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill and Tony Rickardsson. I have a sneaking feeling that Briggo put in some second half rides as a novice as I recall my dad talking about it and Briggo falling off more often than not?

On 5/27/2020 at 8:41 AM, steve roberts said:

Got me thinking about past, present and future World Champions who rode for Oxford over the years? The aforementioned Ivan Mauger and, of course, Hans Nielsen. Plus Jason Crump, Nicki Pedersen, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill and Tony Rickardsson. I have a sneaking feeling that Briggo put in some second half rides as a novice as I recall my dad talking about it and Briggo falling off more often than not?

Hans and Erik head to head on youtube via Oxford Cheetahs channel - v Cradley 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, screm said:

Hopefully good news for Oxford

Good news indeed. Just needs someone to come forward and put some weight behind the regeneration of a once proud stadium.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Good news indeed. Just needs someone to come forward and put some weight behind the regeneration of a once proud stadium.

Isn't Barry Bishop from around those parts??

Too good for the National League!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Positive news.  Still a lot of work to do of course, but getting speedway back into Oxford would be a major coup.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

name doesnt ring a bell.. but I am useless like that... probably know him by face :)

He used to be the track photographer and was present at the stadium when Dag Lovaas made a fleeting visit last year?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good interview on BBC Radio Oxford this morning featuring Nik Budimir - the potential stadium developer whose intention is to make the stadium facility usable 24/7 and is asking the people of Oxford (Cowley) what other regular sports/activities they would like to see at the stadium in addition to the 2 core sports - speedway and greyhounds!!

Karting, Cycle speedway were mentioned as well as indoor activities including conferencing, dance classes etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

The 27 (so far) comments aren’t very encouraging 

I sincerely hope that some sort of action returns to Cowley as I spent many a happy year there but during these uncertain times, both externally and within speedway, I really wouldn't like to hazzard a guess what might be the future however I wish everyone success who is involved behind the scenes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I sincerely hope that some sort of action returns to Cowley as I spent many a happy year there but during these uncertain times, both externally and within speedway, I really wouldn't like to hazzard a guess what might be the future however I wish everyone success who is involved behind the scenes.

Absolutely. It's going to be a big struggle to save some of the current venues. Fair play to anyone trying to resurrect defunct clubs.

• Like 2

How on earth can speedway and Greyhound racing make a profit these days .. i am a fan of both sports and wish them all the best but if its based of profit it wont work .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, orion said:

How on earth can speedway and Greyhound racing make a profit these days .. i am a fan of both sports and wish them all the best but if its based of profit it wont work .

The BSPA should pay Oxford City Council to share that report, as no one in speedway has been able to consistent make a profit over the last decade.

• Like 2