British Speedway Forum

Running Commentary

"That Run-Off" as I still refer to it. BWitcher, was one from MBI and the other JSD Videos perchance?

If it's JSD then that must mean the commentator being Colin Martin (?) who drives me to distraction with his continual 'babbling' and commentates without drawing breath.

Unfortunately he covered many of Oxford's Home matches during the early nineties. I should be grateful, however, that they were filmed...just wished that they had had someone else commentating!

Edited by steve roberts

Agree ~ I can't stand it. Peter York used to really irritate me commenting on the race for the last two laps ~ sometimes before if something he thought was interesting was happening. He stopped ~ or was probably stopped by the Coventry promoters thank goodness ~ 2 or 3 years ago.

Me too, Gem.

There's a quite a few that do that - that dreadful bloke at Sheffield is one.

Announcers are announcers and presenters are presenters. We don't need commentators at a live meeting and its a matter of debate whether we need them on the box.

• Like 2

It all depens on who is doing the commentary i think.You can get a good presenter and i guess it could be good.Unfortunately we don't in my experience seem to attract that sort,so i'd rather have just the necessary information of who is lining up and in what position they finished etc.We have in recent years here in north Germany a presenter who seems to think he is as important as the riders and gets on my nerves quite frankly

• Like 2

I have a meeting on DVD from Sheffield between Sheffield and Leicester, I think it's 1983, because the commentator mentions Les Collins as being the world no 2... The commentator is by a long way, the worst worst worstest God damn awful commentator I have ever, ever, ever heard, in any sport.. one single monotone voice, his total drone never wavering, the Lions lost, does anyone know who he is? The meeting was not British League, possibly the early season Midland League???

Edited by Shale Searcher

One of the best races I've ever seen.

It was but Sullivan should never have been in it, Crump should have been nominated. Remember Sullivan throwing a big strop when he got back to the pits.

Remember it being quite a meeting with P'boro racing into a big early lead with Wolves clawing their way back into things once they weighed the track up.

Me too, Gem.

There's a quite a few that do that - that dreadful bloke at Sheffield is one.

Announcers are announcers and presenters are presenters. We don't need commentators at a live meeting and its a matter of debate whether we need them on the box.

Well, it looks like Peter will be missing this season as the Leicester presenters are being used I think? Will miss David Hammond though as the announcer as I really like his voice.

Not had the pleasure of hearing the Sheffield one as I've not been for years since dogs were banned.

• Like 1

Well, it looks like Peter will be missing this season as the Leicester presenters are being used I think? Will miss David Hammond though as the announcer as I really like his voice.

Not had the pleasure of hearing the Sheffield one as I've not been for years since dogs were banned.

Was the announcer at Oxford for many years! Total professional. Used to manage a couple of family owned music stores in Oxford.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

I've never seen him so no idea how old he is or what he looks like but I just love his voice. Whether I like someone's voice is all important to me and that's why I wouldn't ever watch Eastenders as it's full of annoying Cockneys like Danny Dwyer or whatever his name is. (Hoping Norbold doesn't read this or I'm in trouble.) :P

I've never seen him so no idea how old he is or what he looks like but I just love his voice. Whether I like someone's voice is all important to me and that's why I wouldn't ever watch Eastenders as it's full of annoying Cockneys like Danny Dwyer or whatever his name is. (Hoping Norbold doesn't read this or I'm in trouble.) :P

Dave used to walk around the terraces on match day and would often be seen at away circuits as a supporter of 'The Cheetahs'. He would acknowledge the fans with a "Hello" and a nod and I often acknowledged him...a very nice man with no pretentiousness. He began announcing at Cowley back in 1974 and was a regular certainly up until I stopped going (2004).

• Like 1

Have to say even though i come from London i can't stand Danny Dyer either :P

But the midlands accent is terrible.Everyone sounds so divvy,like Benny from Crossroads or the midlands bloke from Auf Wiedersehen Pet :nono:

Edited by iris123

The Doctor

You obviously didnt go to Plough Lane then in the late eighties as Dave Lanning used to commentate on every heat at each home meeting.

Regards

VV

Yes I thought that he did...however never personally experienced it. How the sport could do with a 'Dave Lanning' now!

• Like 1

Yes I thought that he did...however never personally experienced it. How the sport could do with a 'Dave Lanning' now!

On all fronts steve. Promoting, Presenting and also on the Television.

He was a Master of all three in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 2/19/2017 at 4:12 PM, steve roberts said:

Dave used to walk around the terraces on match day and would often be seen at away circuits as a supporter of 'The Cheetahs'. He would acknowledge the fans with a "Hello" and a nod and I often acknowledged him...a very nice man with no pretentiousness. He began announcing at Cowley back in 1974 and was a regular certainly up until I stopped going (2004).

I think he was back announcing at Oxford this year. Must be ancient by now...

• Like 2