British Speedway Forum

Rye House V Wolverhampton Sat 1st April

looked like a great crowd last night.. :t:

I met and spoke to a few Rye fans who haven't been for years. I'm sure there were many more. Keeping them coming will be key. Last night was very a positive start.

• Like 5

thats easily the biggest crowd i remember seeing at Rye House

For a team meeting it is for me too. Easily matches the Ben Fund attendance from a few years back, which was reportedly over 2,000, but that was made up of supporters from many clubs

• Like 1

Was good night and got back to Ipswich by 10.30pm. Their facilities need improving for that size of crowd i.e. parking, catering, viewing from the pits. A good start though.

• Like 1

After being at p & p I was a bit worried about the facilities but think Steve Jenson and his team did a good job in 3 days in getting that stand put up in front of the starting tapes and with more improvements to come things are looking up at Rye. Last nights down side - length of queues for fish and chips and getting out of the car park but those are minor points to me after such a good evening. Up side big crowd and we won but better than that we are top of the league :party: And after the team performance last night I am feeling optimistic enough to start planning to attend a few away meetings.

• Like 1

One of the best meetings I've ever seen at Rye I'd say. The stadium wasn't as bad as some have made it out to be, obviously more work is still needed though.

It's easy to see why fans take to Harris wherever he races while Nicholls team riding with Perks was incredibly classy. Speaking of Perks, a very impressive debut, hopefully he carries on in the same vein.

Harder nights for Robbo and Watt, the latter in particular should be scoring more than five at home and hopefully he can next week.

All in all a very positive evening. I think I may have the bug back. I'll be rushing to Rye after watching Stevenage at Colchester next Saturday.

I've had the luxury of watching Scott and Bomber at Brandon for many years, they ride so well together too. I expect you'll see some stunning moves this season, makes me feel very nostalgic as well as sad... Enjoy!!

• Like 3

Wolves fans as usual looking in the wrong place.

Greaves is pretty much the weakest rider in the league so any points he scores is a bonus. Clegg is one of, if not the weakest no 6's in the league so realistically his job is to beat the no 7's which so far he has struggled to do.

However, it's a point or two either way.

What should NOT be happening is a team built top heavy and a big 'top' three is one of those top three to be losing to opposing no 7's. Thorssell and Masters were the reason we came away with nothing tonight.

h

Exactly. To pick up points away you need the top 3 to score at least 30 between them. If the 2nd strings can score a dozen they've done their job, and you'd be expecting the reserves to contribute 3 between them.

Clegg has performed below ecpectstion, but as you say it is thorssel and masters that are the issue.

Good start to the season for Howarth though.

I saw a guy wandering around in a TNT jacket. Was that him?

🖒

Glad to see such a good crowd last night and will certainly make another trip down when Wolves are back in town just after the SWC trip to Leszno.

TRACK & STADIUM

Obviously work is going on and will be interesting to see what it looks like on next visit. Spoke to the BMR guy for a while at the end and he is clearly learning as it goes and hopefully this can grow over the next few seasons.

Fence around the pit area would be gòod for fans, viewing area for riders and managers, referee box move level to tapes, permanent terraces on turns one and two and more scaffolding terraces on turns three and four as I can see this getting good crowds all season.

Maybe a bit more banking on turn one and a bit off the bends exit would create more race lines but overall it's coming on well and good luck to them.

RYE HOUSE have in my opinion a certain play off team with vast experience and will be hard to beat at home. Robbo will have better days and Watt too.

Reserves scored 12+1 which looks good but don't believe in the scores too much as this format has it's floors like previous versions. Apart from heat seven when Perks made the gate over Adam and IT it was Nicholls that stepped in to shield him home. Otherwise all the 9 other points were by beating a weak visiting reserves.

WOLVES have a good top five and Masters made a few mistakes to drop points when he gated first and Skornicki made one small mistake off turn two that enabled Bomber through. Jacob looked to make the gate in heat 10 on Kennett but instead of going to the dirt line he kept it low giving Eddie the fast outside line off turn two.

He was also unlucky to be called back in heat 1= when the Red lights came on even though the track had been cleared by the fallen Greece's.

Skornicki was the rider we know he can be but it was Howarth that was the star of the night with a good 10+1 (13 with tr) from his first four rides having beat Eddie and Scott and only a Bomber special could stop him. Well Deserved ride in heat 15 but Rockets were just that and a last place means he averages just 8.00.

Averages for most riders will drop once new averages come in and only Bomber, Howarth and the home reserves reached their averages but the limit will go to just 42 So any changes will be hard.

So while Wolves fans despair at the lack of points from their reserves, you won't have much options to improve unless you change one of the top five.

REFEREE _ Chris Gay had a poor night.

Masters to me and the fans I asked beat Nicholls in heat 4

Kennett hits tapes but goes back in rerun off the gate

Bomber knocks off Perks despite being too far way from Skornicki and the youngster gets excluded for not staying up ?

Heat 14 and Graves clears the track but the Red lights come on and Watt comes out to do 5 minutes gardening before fetching his bike and winning by a great gate.

Isn't this an exclusion after a certain British Final incident involving a certain rider and myself 😁

Well Done Rye on a deserved win and a good opening night which would have paid a few bills.

Edited by T.N.T.
  • Like 1

A selection of heats already on youtube thanks to Andrew Johnson:

decebt crowd and good racing! Let's hope it continues.

It's easy to see why fans take to Harris wherever he races while Nicholls team riding with Perks was incredibly classy.

Seems to me you have both sussed! Harris doesn't ever know he's beat and Nicholls will often try and help his team mates, his partnership at Coventry in 2007 with Billy Janniro was something else!

I've had the luxury of watching Scott and Bomber at Brandon for many years, they ride so well together too. I expect you'll see some stunning moves this season, makes me feel very nostalgic as well as sad... Enjoy!!

I was looking forward to our trips to Brandon this season, especially as we have a strong ex-Bees contingent. Such a shame what has happened at Coventry, hopefully a solution can be found and you will be back racing on home shale in the future.

Seems to me you have both sussed! Harris doesn't ever know he's beat and Nicholls will often try and help his team mates, his partnership at Coventry in 2007 with Billy Janniro was something else!

I feel like I've got the bug back for attending regularly, that's in no small part due to watching Harris and Nicholls last night. Harris will be worth the admission fee alone most weeks I'd imagine, while I think Nicholls will only get better around Rye as the season goes on too. If he can help bring on the likes of Branford and Perks then we could make home a fortress.

• Like 3

I made my first visit for 3 years to Rye last and thoroughly enjoyed it. The stadium has changed a lot since my last appearance, and not being negative, I would like to make a few observations. Having parked in the go-kart car park, I paid at the entrance there but no programmes were available. I had to go all the way up to the other entrance to get one. Would it not be easier to also have a table for the people taking the gate money with programmes there as well? I understand the larger crowds that are expected and queues are going to happen, but there needs to be another food outlet somewhere(possibly on the top of bends 1-2) There also needs to be more lightning for spectators on bends 1-2 and 3-4 because when it started to get dark, seeing to fill in programme was getting harder. I also counted at least 12 floodlight bulbs that were not working. Finally, could there not be a steward on car park duty at the end to stop there being a free for all? I know the stadium is work in progress, but these are things that would make everyone's visit a bit better. P.S. The raffle prize seemed quite small compared to the size of the crowd. I didn't know any were on sale. Could a couple of people, not walk amongst the crowd selling them?

I made my first visit for 3 years to Rye last and thoroughly enjoyed it. The stadium has changed a lot since my last appearance, and not being negative, I would like to make a few observations. Having parked in the go-kart car park, I paid at the entrance there but no programmes were available. I had to go all the way up to the other entrance to get one. Would it not be easier to also have a table for the people taking the gate money with programmes there as well? I understand the larger crowds that are expected and queues are going to happen, but there needs to be another food outlet somewhere(possibly on the top of bends 1-2) There also needs to be more lightning for spectators on bends 1-2 and 3-4 because when it started to get dark, seeing to fill in programme was getting harder. I also counted at least 12 floodlight bulbs that were not working. Finally, could there not be a steward on car park duty at the end to stop there being a free for all? I know the stadium is work in progress, but these are things that would make everyone's visit a bit better. P.S. The raffle prize seemed quite small compared to the size of the crowd. I didn't know any were on sale. Could a couple of people, not walk amongst the crowd selling them?

As with your post and TNT's post, who's going to pay for all this ?

Edited by Starman2006

As with your post and TNT's post, who's going to pay for all this ?

perhaps the extra fans it encourages to return...
  • Like 1

perhaps the extra fans it encourages to return...

It will cost a lot more than a few extra fans though..

I met and spoke to a few Rye fans who haven't been for years. I'm sure there were many more. Keeping them coming will be key. Last night was very a positive start.

I spoke to a few old faces that hadn't been to Rye for a while and also a newbie, although he had watched on the TV, last night was his first 'live' meeting, and judging by his comments he will be back. :t:

I just wish Coventry had a BMR to throw money at Brandon and get us on track

• Like 1

I spoke to a few old faces that hadn't been to Rye for a while and also a newbie, although he had watched on the TV, last night was his first 'live' meeting, and judging by his comments he will be back. :t:

I just wish Coventry had a BMR to throw money at Brandon and get us on track

Thats good to hear, but as for Brandon that sadly will be houses or appartments within a couple of years.

Edited by Starman2006

If I know the BMR promotion they'll be taking all that in. Raffle sellers amongst the crowd is something I was banging on about in the Silver era