British Speedway Forum

Tony Briggs How Good Could He Have Been.?

Sidney the robin

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

How did a novice rider manage to get a deal alongside people who were legends in their sport like Keegan and Cooper otherwise?

HE wasn't a novice. Tony had been riding for years as a kid and by the time he made his Brutish debut for Reading was quite accomplished. Before the crash at Coventry that ended his career he also had a fine record on the continent at grass track events, etc. Would he have been as good as his dad... unlikely, but that bar was set extremely high. But he had a lot of talent and would have gone far. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING

12 hours ago, iris123 said:

How did a novice rider manage to get a deal alongside people who were legends in their sport like Keegan and Cooper otherwise?

BECAUSE they were sponsored by Faberge, Keegan played for Southampton (where the Briggs had their home) and Barry was a household name. It wasn't difficult.

11 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BECAUSE they were sponsored by Faberge, Keegan played for Southampton (where the Briggs had their home) and Barry was a household name. It wasn't difficult.

Which is exactly the point being made.Without his father he wouldn’t have got the breaks he did.A 5 point rider wouldn’t be signing deals that Keegan and Cooper were.Keegan at Scunthorpe wouldn’t be signing those deals either.....,

Only recently watched a programme about Faberge and how the company went downhill and were selling all sorts of cheap and cheerful products i.e aftershave etc and a few years ago a consortium of rich buggers brought all the rights up and are now trying to get the name back to what it was 100 years ago

Edited by iris123

WHAT"S wrong with using your father's name? Ultimately it would have been down to Tony's talent, Barry couldn't ride the bike for him, and as someone who has known him since he was a toddler I have no doubt he would have become a top notch rider. His biggest problem was gating but that would have improved. Incidentally, he still rides motocross bikes for fun in Poland and the US. He is very much a chip off the old block.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHAT"S wrong with using your father's name? Ultimately it would have been down to Tony's talent, Barry couldn't ride the bike for him, and as someone who has known him since he was a toddler I have no doubt he would have become a top notch rider. His biggest problem was gating but that would have improved. Incidentally, he still rides motocross bikes for fun in Poland and the US. He is very much a chip off the old block.

Phil,try following the convo.Nobody is saying it is wrong.Some are saying that is how he got the breaks.That is all.If he was Joe Smith with no history in the sport and was on a 5 pt average,would he have got the breaks and the Faberge sponsorship?That is what is being debated.Nothing about right or wrong.There is no moral judgement being dished out,just a sporting debate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Phil,try following the convo.Nobody is saying it is wrong.Some are saying that is how he got the breaks.That is all.If he was Joe Smith with no history in the sport and was on a 5 pt average,would he have got the breaks and the Faberge sponsorship?That is what is being debated.Nothing about right or wrong.There is no moral judgement being dished out,just a sporting debate.

HE might not have got the Faberge deal but he would certainly have got a team place at Reading. That was on his ability and potential which was already well known. In fact, several clubs were chasing him but Dave Lanning knew a good rider when he saw one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, slateweaverjem said:

....hey!  Briggo, Tony ..you can't go swapping humans for bags of diamonds...it's against the law...sport!                          JP Kirkham

could you explain that please ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

lQQk Briggo, Tony, don't know how to get through to you guys..tried endless counts to mmxevents@yahoo.com ..not a dickie bird.. Just to remind you that you still owe me $75 last weeks Liberian pay May 10th, 1987 for a job well done.. yet you dumped me off on Gurly street penniless..where I was forced to eat a poison last supper in Julias Bar...no thanks to you pair of spanners...I walked it... All the way home.. it is just not cricket boys..      JP Kirkham  

Edited by slateweaverjem

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2018 at 8:52 PM, slateweaverjem said:

and secondly the guy from down the Mental Elf said, "write it all down", so I did and called it, "Royal Welsh Gold and the Liberian Diamond Connection stitch up"...  get it on www.amazon.co.uk / .com      or at www.lulu.com   a real steal of a major deal at £5.99   ....JK   09/10/2020