British Speedway Forum

A Summary Of Problems

Just flicking through the first few posts it gets me how people are going on about the NSS being in the wrong part of Britain but what they seem to forget is there is NO NSS in reality as the stadium in Manchester is owned by the Council and is only rented by speedway for meetings (when it's paid any way).

A real NSS would be one that isn't owned by outside bodies but owned by the sport and financed by all clubs in a small part and is not under the control of a government body that knows very little about the sport. Sadly over the years Speedway has lost many owned stadiums to housing and now relies heavily on rented accommodation to run the sport.

Is Belle Vue going to be sorted and can the sport (or Belle Vue) afford to run at the so called NSS with costs at roughly £20,000 for each home meeting for rent and wages let alone flights, running costs etc. To break even they have to get in 1,500 people but that increases to over 2,000 when you add on wages for away meetings too.

Maybe Leicester and Coventry don't cost as much to run and they are struggling to either build a team or get a race track and stadium ready. With both clubs being not too far from each other, it is possibly more sensible for Coventry who have a full team to move to Leicester who have a race track but no team.

Then we have Swindon who had a farewell to the Abbey in 2015 and made a big deal about being the final night as they looked to move next door. In the end the temporary move back to Blunsdon was made permanent for 2016 and looks to be carrying on next year. Is there any movement on building the track next door or the stadium being started ?

Speedway is a great sport but it's not moved forward with the times and is still very much in the seventies with old stadiums and ancient ways of doing business. Can anyone think of any other sport or entertainment where you don't get an actual printed ticket for that event or buy online. In fact many don't even take card payments and unless it's cash it's no entry.

It's not going to change and the sooner British Speedway moves forward with a more affordable product for both clubs and fans it's always going to struggle in a country where so many other sports are run at higher levels which is less of a case in Sweden, Denmark or Poland. While they have top football clubs, they don't have the Premiership or Champions League like British clubs do and then you have Moto GP, Rugby, Cricket and so many other sports that are minuscule in the Scandanavian and European countries.

As for next season, they have tried to move the sport forward and it's good to see they make the efforts but yet again the thoughts were not looked at properly and once the season gets under way, these problems will soon come to light such as averages which were done to old Premier League levels instead of doing them all to Elite League levels as most are over inflated and many riders will see their averages drop considerably.

Those riders left out at the start will find it hard to get positions with inflated averages as other riders will have new more realistic averages, so a new 7.00 rider won't be able to come in for an injured 7.3 rider who is now averaging 5.4. Had they started with EL averages then averages won't have changed so much and all it needed was a 38 limit in the top level and a 30 limit in the next level.

This also would have helped the likes of Harris, Nicholls, Kennett etc double up as it looks like most doubling up heat leaders are riders like Grajczonek, Masters who already had lower level clubs. In many ways it would have been better to have formed on league with 18-20 teams meaning the young riders like Shanes, Clegg etc won't be getting burnt out doing three leagues and miss as many meetings due to fixture clashes.

Hopefully all nine Premiership tracks are ready for the start next season and I'm proved wrong but I have a horrible feeling there won't be nine teams in the top flight and when the new averages and new limits at 42 come in there won't be a shortage of replacements.

• Like 1

It should be, its brand new. As i said, you will not, get them on a regular basis, you are dreaming mate. Poland will always get the call over BV's place. Bigger better and bigger atendances, Unless they try it on with ticket prices..

And dont give me well, we sold out last year, so you should, If you didn't there would be something seriously wrong. We also sold out in 04 and so we should have..

Belle Vue is the best track in the country , and produced some fantastic speedway last year

So I'd say there's a reasonable chance future FIM meetings may be held there ? ,

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 2

Manchester City Council have been the only council in the UK to put money into building a new stadium, it deserves it's mantle.

They invested in a complex and while Speedway is a major part of that at the moment, it is built to accommodate other events and sports and in time will be used more for a varied number of activities regardless of what it is called.

I agree it is great having the tag of NSS but I do feel that over the years, this is what the BSPA, SCB and all clubs should have been looking into and building their own NSS possibly in Birmingham and partnofbthe old NEC buildings which is ever expanding and even has its own airport and train station.

Twenty or thirty years of saving and investment could have seen this become reality but money comes in and no real investment in the long term future has been made like this which is a shame now many are renting stadiums that take up much valued land for housing

• Like 1

Rains more just to start with. Its much closer drive from all major teams to Swindon than Manchester and you can also attract london fans easier. More people can get to Swindon.

If us being to far away for you to attend then that's brilliant news

• Like 5

It sure would have been ideal, If over the years some of the sky money had been held back and used more wisely then maybe Coventry could have been purchased or a some joint venture rather than it being sold to developers. The only saving grace for Coventry is a compulsory purchase order which is highly unlikely.

If Sandhu agreed to having a metre less on his planning application a few years back then we would probably have a superb facility at Brandon by now.

Edited by woz01

Brandon would've been a great location for a speedway owned National Speedway Stadium had money been invested in such a scheme rather than using it to keep clubs afloat by employing riders they can't afford with the other revenue of gate receipts and merchandise.

I live about 20 miles from the NEC and that was talked about for a stadium for England FA and Olympics but they wanted to stay in London but Speedway doesn't have that issue and if the money was there it would be a great location but very unlikely unless it's a multi purpose stadium and maybe indoors too

• Like 1

Rains more just to start with. Its much closer drive from all major teams to Swindon than Manchester and you can also attract london fans easier. More people can get to Swindon.

Which London fans are these, the ones that didn't even support the last London tracks in sufficient numbers to prevent them from closing down? Or are you aware of thousands just waiting to visit a new track in Swindon?

• Like 4

The NSS is in the place it is because its the only place anyone was willing to build a new a purpose built speedway stadium.So instead of complaining where it is for the good of the sport i think we should all keep our fingers crossed that a deal can be done so that it stays in use.Because the state the sport is in i cannot see anyone else building one as good anytime soon.

The stadium is in Manchester because it was Gordon's and Mortons dream nothing to do with the BSPA they made a right cock up of running it but it was their 10 years of hard work that got it built.

• Like 3

I believe that not owning the stadium is and always been the biggest problem facing speedway. I went back and looked at the 1990 league tables for the top two divisions. The following teams are no longer in existence; Reading, Oxford, Bradford, Cradley, Hackney, Wimbledon, Exeter, Long Eaton and Milton Keynes. To the best of my knowledge, all of those tracks folded because of stadium availability and not because nobody was willing to promote there. There are many things that could improve the product, but it is always going to be an uphill task when you don't control the venue.

• Like 1

I believe that not owning the stadium is and always been the biggest problem facing speedway. I went back and looked at the 1990 league tables for the top two divisions. The following teams are no longer in existence; Reading, Oxford, Bradford, Cradley, Hackney, Wimbledon, Exeter, Long Eaton and Milton Keynes. To the best of my knowledge, all of those tracks folded because of stadium availability and not because nobody was willing to promote there. There are many things that could improve the product, but it is always going to be an uphill task when you don't control the venue.

Although Reading was built on land provided by the council under a 99 year lease, so we should be secure until 2074.

Which London fans are these, the ones that didn't even support the last London tracks in sufficient numbers to prevent them from closing down? Or are you aware of thousands just waiting to visit a new track in Swindon?

Spot on. Sadly the M4 will not be jammed with traffic heading out of London to watch speedway at Swindon.

Totally agree. Not owning their stadiums was speedway's biggest mistake and if they had owned them it could have secured speedway future. As it is there is no future for speedway in the UK.

Totally agree. Not owning their stadiums was speedway's biggest mistake and if they had owned them it could have secured speedway future. As it is there is no future for speedway in the UK.

Your a happy soul arn't you...

Spot on. Sadly the M4 will not be jammed with traffic heading out of London to watch speedway at Swindon.

As a team sport in its current 'not fit for purpose' guise I would 100% agree...

However, individual meetings properly marketed and promoted at say monthly intervals may generate an audience at certain tracks and keep the sport going?

Similar to the way Stock Cars do it...

Team Speedway is definitely a busted flush given all the nonsense and farce around its integrity and credibility (in this country), so maybe it is time to cut its losses and follow all the other other motor sports and go 'individual only'...?

Maybe you could build up a following again and then move it into some kind of team structure at a later date if finance allows?

A modern looking re-launch with all previous balls ups avoided...!?

Oh to dream...😲😂

Isn't the evidence that most individual events have been dropped because of even poorer attendances than for league matches. My guess, is that most fans still prefer team events.

If 'individuals' were the 'only' Speedway it could/may start to prosper again?

Bottom line is team Speedway, in this country, using its current operating model, is fast running out of time...

(And fans)...

If 'individuals' were the 'only' Speedway it could/may start to prosper again?

Bottom line is team Speedway, in this country, using its current operating model, is fast running out of time...

(And fans)...

If individual meetings were the only meetings left in the uk stadiums will shut down.

Top rider's still wouldn't turn up as they'd be meaningless meetings to flyin and out for and fans would soon get bored as there's nothing / nobody to support with amateur riders filling in.

1 a month / 2 months would never pull in the 5-6000 spectators required.

• Like 1

If individual meetings were the only meetings left in the uk stadiums will shut down.

Top rider's still wouldn't turn up as they'd be meaningless meetings to flyin and out for and fans would soon get bored as there's nothing / nobody to support with amateur riders filling in.

1 a month / 2 months would never pull in the 5-6000 spectators required.

5-6000? I thought maybe 2-3k at the very best. It's Speedway...

The whole operating model would need to change more akin to MX, Superbikes etc with 'Club' meetings and 'Nationals' running side by side using the disparate levels of riders to ascertain which competition they ride in...

Contracts would need to change with greyhound tracks and landlords but Stock Cars only rent the same venues and facilities four or five times a year so it is possible..

Once a month, and every BH, each a stand alone event in its own right and marketed as such, run on a Sunday afternoon, properly promoted and a full afternoon of entertainment from kids racing through to seniors..

Charge £20 to get in, 3k crowd would give you £60k, add some sponsorship and you would have a good prize/expenses/appearance money fund..

Team Speedway sadly in Britain due to its ridiculous operating model is clearly reaching its inevitable conclusion so the Sport needs to reinvent itself over here...

Amateur/Semi Pro is for me the way forward to maybe start its comeback. Remember approx only 0.05% of the population attend it regularly so to many, if properly marketed, it would be 'brand new' as a large proportion don't even know what Speedway is..

It might lose some of the tiny 0.05% 'die hards' who simply would not want to watch the 'lower standard' on principle but it would be more about tapping into the 99%+ who don't attend now...

Save Team Speedway? Won't happen as too far gone and not enough commitment or radicalism to change..

Save 'British' Speedway'? Still a great product when done well so just needs the right operating model to make it a success..

Edited by mikebv

5-6000? I thought maybe 2-3k at the very best. It's Speedway...

The whole operating model would need to change more akin to MX, Superbikes etc with 'Club' meetings and 'Nationals' running side by side using the disparate levels of riders to ascertain which competition they ride in...

Contracts would need to change with greyhound tracks and landlords but Stock Cars only rent the same venues and facilities four or five times a year so it is possible..

Once a month, and every BH, each a stand alone event in its own right and marketed as such, run on a Sunday afternoon, properly promoted and a full afternoon of entertainment from kids racing through to seniors..

Charge £20 to get in, 3k crowd would give you £60k, add some sponsorship and you would have a good prize/expenses/appearance money fund..

Team Speedway sadly in Britain due to its ridiculous operating model is clearly reaching its inevitable conclusion so the Sport needs to reinvent itself over here...

Amateur/Semi Pro is for me the way forward to maybe start its comeback. Remember approx only 0.05% of the population attend it regularly so to many, if properly marketed, it would be 'brand new' as a large proportion don't even know what Speedway is..

It might lose some of the tiny 0.05% 'die hards' who simply would not want to watch the 'lower standard' on principle but it would be more about tapping into the 99%+ who don't attend now...

Save Team Speedway? Won't happen as too far gone and not enough commitment or radicalism to change..

Save 'British' Speedway'? Still a great product when done well so just needs the right operating model to make it a success..

I think one of the smallest crowds at Belle vue this year was the British final what does that tell you.

I can only speak for myself but the Belle vue aces/colts are the reason i follow speedway i watch them with a passion other speedway i just watch.There is no speedway in the world that i enjoy more than watching my team where every race means something and winning or looseing affects my emotions.If we loose team speedway a die hard i might be but the sport would loose me.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3