British Speedway Forum

Ice Speedway Results 2016-2017

My mistake. He got 7, and has been added. Thats the problem when you get two Svensson's together.

Saved your report... :lol:

Zorn was amazing and his gating is brilliant. Got first in the first corner final and held on to the second place for a little while. Russians are still the ice masters with Valeev as their next big new kid. Love his attacking no-fear riding style.

Great to hear.

Starting Line up for Ice Speedway Gladiators Final 2, Shadrinsk February 11-12

1 114 Dinar Valeev MFR Russia

2 69 Jan Klatovsky ACCR Czech Rep.

3 22 Günther Bauer DMSB Germany

4 919 Dmitri Khomitsevich MFR Russia

5 100 Franz Zorn AMF Austria

6 WC Nikolai Krasnikov MFR Russia

7 58 Stefan Svensson SVEMO Sweden

8 50 Harald Simon AMF Austria

9 88 Max Niedermaier DMSB Germany

10 333 Daniil Ivanov MFR Russia

11 81 Jimmy Olsen SVEMO Sweden

12 106 Dmitri Koltakov MFR Russia

13 11 Ove Ledström SVEMO Sweden

14 33 Hans Weber DMSB Germany

15 192 Niclas Svensson SVEMO Sweden

16 911 Igor Kononov MFR Russia

Reserve 1 TR1 Artem Akulov MFR Russia

Reserve 2 TR2 Yuri Oleynik MFR Russia

Interesting that they gave Kranikov the Wild Card, but then again his reputation puts Bums on Seats I suppose.

Edited by Conkers

Re TV coverage, I emailed the FIM for details of this year's deals and it's not good news. This is the list:

MAV TV (USA / Canada)
MTOD (Europe)
Fox Sports Asia
Fox Sports Australia
ESPN Latin America
NOVA TV (Czech Rep)
EdgeSports (WorldWide)

Few of these are actual broadcast channels, except those outside Europe.. Those available in Europe except Nova are mainly online on demand subscription services. Note there is no mention of Eurosport.

MTOD turns out to be Motor Trend On Demand which despite the FIM saying is a European service is only available in North America, apart from a limited Spanish service. It makes no mention of Ice Speedway,

Edge Sports seems to be available online only throughout Europe. Their website makes no mention of Ice Speedway.

MAV TV is for America and Canada only but does list Ice Speedway - a few rounds of the 2016 series.

I can't find any mention in Nova TV's schedules.

So, it's all looking pretty bleak and if FIM TV were at Togliatti then the coverage isn't immediately scheduled for broadcast in Europe.

Hopefully the situation will change and coverage that can be legally watched on a standard broadcast channel emerges during the competition but right now it looks like the only immediate hope is unauthorised streaming on You Tube . Things can change.

It's a shame that the FIM can't do what they do with the SGPs and have authorised, official streaming of the event on You Tube for those countries which don't have a TV deal.

I've asked the FIM to clarify a few points, especially their description of MTOD as a European service and am awaiting their response.

Right now, sadly, it's not looking good.

Thanks rmc. A great shame that someone has not picked up on the one element that takes it to another level against speedway, yes normal speedway has the thrills of speed, no brakes and is mighty fine but with ice you have the added risk of the bikes with spikes and the fact that you need to be super fit and totally mad. Oh well that it is unfortunate that we are where we are but I am convinced that if just one terrestrial channel showed highlights, the interest would make it a must watch winter sport.

Thanks rmc. A great shame that someone has not picked up on the one element that takes it to another level against speedway, yes normal speedway has the thrills of speed, no brakes and is mighty fine but with ice you have the added risk of the bikes with spikes and the fact that you need to be super fit and totally mad. Oh well that it is unfortunate that we are where we are but I am convinced that if just one terrestrial channel showed highlights, the interest would make it a must watch winter sport.

When I commentated on it I most certainly kept people reminded about those spikes, although it is easy to get blase about them - unless you're out on the track with them. ;-)

Got to agree - I saw Ice Speedway on World Of Sport back in the early 1980s, went to my first meeting in 1985 and now I've been covering it for 32 years.

Eurosport made the mistake of having Jack Burnicle commentate when they showed it live a few years ago, and I don't think it ever quite recovered.

Got to agree - I saw Ice Speedway on World Of Sport back in the early 1980s, went to my first meeting in 1985 and now I've been covering it for 32 years.

Eurosport made the mistake of having Jack Burnicle commentate when they showed it live a few years ago, and I don't think it ever quite recovered.

I remember seeing it for the first time at a Motorbike Show at Olympia or Earl's Court.in about 1975.There was a stand(quite possibly Motorcycle News)that was showing film of exotic bike racing and they had Ice Speedway.They also had a great piece about that Japanese "speedway" which i found fascinating for its pure theatre.Riders getting n the back of an open truck and were driven out to their bikes.Still have some of the promo bumpf that you get at those places from Suzuki etc.Remember my school mate was more excited in a Vincent Black Shadow they had on display though

Also footage of day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKpbCuCUbB8

RUSSIA

SUPER LEAGUE, ROUNDS 3 & 4, UFA

SATURDAY & SUNDAY, JANUARY 28 - 29

RESULTS:

Round 3, Saturday

KAMENSK URAL 38 (Dmitri Khomitsevich 14, Dinar Valeev 12, Evgeny Sharov 10, Vasilli Nesytyh 2, Harald Simon 0)

TOGLIATTI 33 (Danil Ivanov 10, Nikita Toloknov 10, Igor Kononov 9, Ivan Bolshakov 3, Mikhail Litvinov 1)

STERLITAMAK 25 (Andrei Shishegov 9, Nikita Tarasov 7, Alex

ei Ivanov 5, Dmitri Solyannikov 4)

UFA 23 (Nikolai Krasnikov 13, Gunther Bauer 6, Nikita Shadrin 2, Nikita Bogdanov 2)

Round 4, Sunday

KAMENSK URAL 37 (Valeev 13, Khomitsevich 11, Sharov 8, Simon 5, Nesytyh DNR)

TOGLIATTI 34 (D. Ivanov 14, Kononov 8, Toloknov 7, Litvinov 5, Bolshakov DNR)

STERLITAMAK 28 (Shishegov 8, A. Ivanov 7, Tarasov 7, Solyannikov 6)

UFA 20 (Krasnikov 13, Bauer 3, Shadrin 3, Bogdanov 1)

League Table: (After 4 Rounds)

Kamensk Ural 18 (5,3,5,5),

Togliatti 14 (3,5,3,3),

Sterlitamak 7 (1,2,2,2),

Ufa 5 (2,1,1,1)

Footage of Ufa 28.01.2017.Not heard anything,but wonder if the Night Wolves sponsorship has ended?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3QaKrDkyk

Day 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdpaZEXoIKg

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Also footage of day 1

Footage of Ufa 28.01.2017.Not heard anything,but wonder if the Night Wolves sponsorship has ended?

Day 2

I'm told that part of the whole Euro Champs fiasko is that the Ufa club went bust late last year.

I've heard back from the FIM who rather limply just state that Motor Trend On Demand is available in Europe. I've checked again and European viewers can watch a limited amount of content on their site but since there's no mention of ice speedway on the site yet it's impossible at this stage to tell whether it will be accessible.

I've also re-checked Edge Sports who do make reference to speedway - round six of the SGP. When I clicked on that link I got the geoblocking message "not available in your location".

It all looks pretty hopeless so it looks like the only coverage available to most potential viewers will be the unofficial one-camera streams or illicit streams of the non-European channels. .

Not a good situation at all.

Edited by rmc

I'm told that part of the whole Euro Champs fiasko is that the Ufa club went bust late last year.

Actually i got that wrong.The Night Wolves were partners,not sponsors.They were trying to help find some sponsors,which are still lacking at the club

ASTANA EXPO FIM ICE SPEEDWAY GLADIATORS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

FINAL 2 SHADRINSK, SATURDAY & SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11-12

ROUND 3 SATURDAY (Russia unless stated)

Igor Kononov 20 (14+3+3),

Dmitri Koltakov 17 (12+3+2),

Dmitri Khomitsevich 14 (11+2+1),

Danil Ivanov 12 (10+2+0),

Dinar Valeev 13 (12+1),

Jimmy Olsen (Sweden) 7 (7+R),

Nikolai Krasnikov 13 (13+D),

Franz Zorn (Austria) 9 (9+0),

Niklas Svensson (Sweden) 6,

Stefan Svensson (Sweden) 6,

Ove Ledstrom (Sweden) 5,

Max Niedermaier (Germany) 5,

Gunther Bauer (Germany) 5,

Hans Weber (Germany) 2,

Jan Klatovsky (Czech Rep.) 2,

Harald Simon (Austria) 1

Semi Final 1: Kononov, Ivanov, Valeev, Zorn

Semi Final 2: Koltakov, Khomitsevich, Olsen (ret), Krasnikov (d)

Final: Kononov, Koltakov, Khomitsevich, Ivanov

ASTANA EXPO FIM ICE SPEEDWAY GLADIATORS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

FINAL 2, SHADRINSK, RUSSIA, FEBRUARY 11-12

ROUND 4 SUNDAY

Kononov 19 (13+3+3),

Koltakov 18 (14+2+2),

Khomitsevich 16 (12+3+1),

Ivanov 14 (12+2+0),

Krasnikov 15 (14+1),

Valeev 11 (10+1),

N. Svensson 8 (8+0),

S. Svensson 7 (7+0),

Zorn 6,

Ledstrom 6,

Artem Akulov (res) 6,

Bauer 4,

Simon 4,

Niedermaier 2,

Weber 2,

Klatovsky 0

Semi Final 1: Khomitsevich, Koltakov, Valeev, N. Svensson

Semi Final 2: Kononov, Ivanov, Krasnikov, S.Svensson

Final: Kononov, Koltakov, Khomitsevich, Ivanov

Standings (after 4 Rounds, * = Wildcard)

Koltakov 72,

Kononov 67,

Khomitsevich 66,

Ivanov 56,

Valeev 52,

Zorn 38,

Krasnikov* 28,

S. Svensson 26,

N. Svensson 23,

Bauer 22,

Olsen 20,

Toloknov* 19,

Niedermaier 16,

Ledstrom 15,

Simon 12,

Klatovsky 6,

Akulov 6,

Weber 5

Jimmy Olsen crashed out in Semi Final 2 on Saturday when leading, and suffered a dislocated elbow. He returned to Sweden today for treatment. Depending on whose report you believe he's out for the rest of the season, hoping to be fit for Heerenveen or hoping to be fit for Berlin. Whichever way he's not riding in Almaty next weekend.

Edited by Conkers