British Speedway Forum

Unsung Heroes.!

Sidney the robin

I was only a boy at the time , but Russ Dent would surely fill the category . The stadium would erupt when Russ pulled off an unexpected win in Glasgow colours

Strangely enough, i came oh-so-close to mentioning Russ! He too is a perfect example...

You mean the "full faced helmet" discussion on the Bjorn Knutson thread for instance?What the hell Knutson has to do with full faced helmets is beyond me :rofl::P

I think Knutson wore one in the 1948 British Riders Championship, along with kevlars sponsored by Monster. Of course, Knutson too was an "unsung hero"...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Paulco/Chunky - Nice to see my old pal Russ Dent remembered, he will be chuffed about that. No finer sight than Russ blasting around the fence for a last gasp win. Remember him beating home favourite Bruce Forrester in a run off to win the Teesside Farewell Trophy in 1971 - the place was jumping that night. Fond memories indeed.

"The Mackem"

• Like 1

Strangely enough, i came oh-so-close to mentioning Russ! He too is a perfect example...

I think Knutson wore one in the 1948 British Riders Championship, along with kevlars sponsored by Monster. Of course, Knutson too was an "unsung hero"...

Steve

​I doubt your comment about Bjorn Knutsson and the 1948 British Riders Championship! He didn't actually appear on the UK speedway scene until the late 1950s into the early 1960s onwards.

Edited by Guest

Steve

​I doubt your comment about Bjorn Knutsson and the 1948 British Riders Championship! He didn't actually appear on the UK speedway scene until the late 1950s into the early 1960s onwards.

Really, gustix? But he was sponsored by Monster though, surely?

I read your comment norbold and confess that I had no idea about Bjorn Knutsson and his involvement at the 1948 British Riders Championship together with his then sponsorship by Monster.

You have got me worried. Maybe it's ime for me to go for a long walk... :unsure:

Guest compost

Very interesting. Here's a challenge - name riders who graduated from the old National League Division THREE to full England international status!

Here's a few for starters - Cyril Roger, Alan Hunt, Wally Green, Bert Roger.

In reply to above, how about -

Arthur Forrest, Arthur Payne, Billy Bales, Bob Oakley, Bob Roger, Brian Crutcher, Eric Boothroyd, Gerald Jackson, Ian Williams, Jimmy Squibb, Ken Middleditch and

Ken Sharples

Hopefully I haven't included any colonials in the above list. The top colonials would be - Jack unstead, Neil street, Peter moore, Trevor redmond and Geoff Mardon (the only 3rd level rider ever to make a World Final)

::: From the much-valued International Speedway website. Bob Warner's moment of speedway glory:

1958 31.08 : Eastbourne Young England 58 Young Overseas 49 OFFICIAL

This match was officially designated as a "Junior Test Match", and is notable for the first international team appearance of Ivan Mauger. England were without Leo McAuliffe, who broke down on the way to the track, so Ross Gilbertson replaced him in the team and Bob Warner, who had attended the match as a spectator, borrowed novice Ken Vale's equipment and became reserve. It was to be the peak of Warner's speedway career for, with Overseas holding a 3-point lead after 11 races, and England robbed of the services of Bobby Croombs and Frank Bettis through injury, he was called on to ride in 5 of the last 7 races, and his 8 points gave England the match.

A Welshman replaced by a Scot to represent England?

Guest compost

I thought Jack Unstead was British? Born in Elm Park. He rode for England.

Apologies, for some reason I thought he was Australian. I think he would come under the heading of an 'unsung hero'.

In reply to above, how about -

Arthur Forrest, Arthur Payne, Billy Bales, Bob Oakley, Bob Roger, Brian Crutcher, Eric Boothroyd, Gerald Jackson, Ian Williams, Jimmy Squibb, Ken Middleditch and

Ken Sharples

Hopefully I haven't included any colonials in the above list. The top colonials would be - Jack unstead, Neil street, Peter moore, Trevor redmond and Geoff Mardon (the only 3rd level rider ever to make a World Final)

I thought Jack Unstead was British? Born in Elm Park. He rode for England.

Apologies, for some reason I thought he was Australian. I think he would come under the heading of an 'unsung hero'.

...and so did Ron Johnson! :lol:

Not sure if Mike Keen still lives in Upper Minety, probably, saw him at home in the mid 80s when I went to renew his accident policy. Bloody nice guy, still seen at The Abbey, along with Barry Duke,spoke to Dukey last week in Argos store, north Swindon. Works part time in an Oxford hospital operating theatre. Martin Crashby still has his motorcycle workshop on the outskirts of Marlborough, friendly modest guy. Broady the Red Devil still lives in Swindon area.

Fav ten tracks New Cross, West Am, Ackney, Wimbledon, Wembley, White City, Swindon, Worky, Coventry, Reading,...least fav Kirky Belle Vue Newcastle, IOW.

Edited by Alfred Stopcock
  • Like 1

Was placed twice 1969/70 in the British junior championship and was a British Finalist in 73 so he was not overshadowed.

Mick Bell, of course, started as a junior at Oxford and was loaned out to Reading where he spent a good part of his career. Had a quite productive year at Leicester (due to Reading's enforced closure) and ended his career at Coventry. Probably better known for his Team Managing duties where he won championships at both Reading and Coventry (also as a rider whilst at both).

Spoke to him once when he was Team Manager at Oxford when I was trying to make a point about a substitution rider...he kind of brushed me off!

• 2 weeks later...

David Smart. Swindon second string. As a Reading fan, he was an annoyingly consistent opposing rider. Took his own life (I think) a few years back.

Dave Mullett was my unsung hero for what it's worth.

Tom

Is this the David Smart who rode for Arena Essex for a couple of seasons, around 1988/1989?