British Speedway Forum

Does British Speedway Have Future?

You only have to read this forum to see there's little consensus on how to move the sport forward, and some of the suggestions would quite honestly bankrupt the sport in five minutes. I don't anyone would claim the BSPA does a great job, but ultimately it's the promoters' rather than fans' money on the line.

In any case, the speedway is now down to an ageing hardcore of fans who're rather set in their ways. If the sport is going to survive, it really needs to appeal to a completely new and younger audience, and they're not going to go along with riders marching out to Imperial Echoes, war cries, and programme boards.

But even if those things in your second paragraph didn't deter a new, younger audience, there are a multitude of others aspects of speedway that are so fundamentally wrong that they would soon turn their back on the sport anyway. Guests, the escalation and farce of doubling-up and the interminable delays between races being just three.

Maybe if a rider could somehow get themselves onto a program like I'm a Celebrity, Strictly Come Dancing or any of the other reality shows which have become so popular with younger viewers, the knock on effect for the sport could be great - at least people would realise that it is still around (just).

First they have to become a 'celebrity'. If any of the current GP lot walked down any high street in Britain, I seriously doubt that ANYONE would recognise them.

The 'press' is dying a death itself. I haven't actually bought a newspaper in years and it's obviously the case for many others as well, so the press just doesn't have the staff or interest in devoting space to low-profile sports.

Speedway needs to self-promote through the Internet, finding ways to grab attention.

You say that, but we (Retro Speedway) had virtually a full page of editorial coverage in TWO of today's Ipswich papers - the Ipswich Star and East Anglian Daily Times, in which their correspondent Mike Bacon reviewed two of our latest DVDs.

Why? Because Mike is pro-speedway and we work hard to nurture relationships with influential media men like him who have space to fill.

Naturally, we are very active on Facebook and Twitter, re-tweeting Mike's announcements of his reviews accordingly. As a result, we have had a very good response.

Regional press, especially in the towns and cities where tracks exist, still have a massive part to play in speedway's recovery, but how much effort - if any - do promoters make to get their team noticed and talked about?

• Like 5

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but posts around fond memories of how things used to be aren't going to solve speedways problems and perhaps there lies the problem. Is speedway a sport that is too retro and hasn't moved with the times in the areas that matter today. E.g facilities, etc and is run by a small group of older people with too much self interest .

Do we need to ask the "younger generation" what they want in a sport like speedway that would attract them, I feel it would probably be the opposite of what most want on here.

• Like 1

But even if those things in your second paragraph didn't deter a new, younger audience, there are a multitude of others aspects of speedway that are so fundamentally wrong that they would soon turn their back on the sport anyway. Guests, the escalation and farce of doubling-up and the interminable delays between races being just three.

First they have to become a 'celebrity'. If any of the current GP lot walked down any high street in Britain, I seriously doubt that ANYONE would recognise them.

You say that, but we (Retro Speedway) had virtually a full page of editorial coverage in TWO of today's Ipswich papers - the Ipswich Star and East Anglian Daily Times, in which their correspondent Mike Bacon reviewed two of our latest DVDs.

Why? Because Mike is pro-speedway and we work hard to nurture relationships with influential media men like him who have space to fill.

Naturally, we are very active on Facebook and Twitter, re-tweeting Mike's announcements of his reviews accordingly. As a result, we have had a very good response.

Regional press, especially in the towns and cities where tracks exist, still have a massive part to play in speedway's recovery, but how much effort - if any - do promoters make to get their team noticed and talked about?

John Gaisford, of the Oxford Mail, used to give first class coverage of the sport at Cowley but I recall that it started to wain because he wasn't getting any stories/news passed to him by the promotion and therefore had very little to comment upon.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but posts around fond memories of how things used to be aren't going to solve speedways problems and perhaps there lies the problem. Is speedway a sport that is too retro and hasn't moved with the times in the areas that matter today. E.g facilities, etc and is run by a small group of older people with too much self interest .

Do we need to ask the "younger generation" what they want in a sport like speedway that would attract them, I feel it would probably be the opposite of what most want on here.

Trouble is the facilities are often not down to the responsibility of the promoters who don't own the stadium but lease it on a seasonal basis.

As regards the "younger generation" what do they want? As my previous posts indicate I'm at a loss and without their input and relevant research and/or marketing of the product will we ever get to know? They appear to take an interest in football but that's inherent based on the fact that it's expected and the 'cool thing to do' because of all the over exposure that the game attracts...but is it warranted? Personally I feel that it goes much deeper than that and young people take less interest in activities that appeal to us 'oldies' and the hobbies that we grew up with and openly ridicule same as 'boring!'

I go fishing (surrounded by 'old' people). I pursue steam locos (surrounded by 'old' people). I've re-discovered model railways (surrounded by 'old' people). I enjoy photography (proper stuff not 'sellfie fun activities' that ultimately goes on social media to alert their many 'friends' - surrounded by 'old' people) etc etc

I work with a group of much younger people than myself, and they're a great bunch, but they seem so obsessed with social media and facebook and spend most of their break/lunch times accessing same. Trying to discuss something can be tiresome because it often ultimately gets pushed to one side and looked upon as distracting as their ipiddy poddy paddy thingies must take precedence.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

The sport is currently probably no more than a 10-12 pound price point, and should be structured with that in mind.

i argued this about 2 yrs ago on here - i got crucified in the main but this really is the case and a way has to be found to make that happen - semi pro and mainly uk riders is probably the way.

• Like 1

Many things need looking at but one priority must be publicity.

Yesterday I rang the reception of 39 local schools to get contact details to inform them of a local competition and when I asked have you heard of our local speedway team? only 3 had. One glimmer of hope was that one of the three said that a rider and bike had visited the school and the students were really exited by the experience. So with a bit of thought and effort there is a new audience out there ready to be informed.

i argued this about 2 yrs ago on here - i got crucified in the main but this really is the case and a way has to be found to make that happen - semi pro and mainly uk riders is probably the way.

I've said same many times. £15 - £18 for fifteen (?) races just doesn't offer good value for money especially when one has to find petrol money on top. Either extra races should be included in the package (would be my preferred choice) or pay the riders less and if that means that the 'stars' no longer find it viable competing in Britain then so be it.

Many things need looking at but one priority must be publicity.

Yesterday I rang the reception of 39 local schools to get contact details to inform them of a local competition and when I asked have you heard of our local speedway team? only 3 had. One glimmer of hope was that one of the three said that a rider and bike had visited the school and the students were really exited by the experience. So with a bit of thought and effort there is a new audience out there ready to be informed.

I gave some promotional talks at some schools some 14 or so years ago but unfortunately got very little input from the promotion at the time and it proved a bit of a damp squibb. I was promised a bike that never materialised and other incentives and it was hard work trying to sound enthusiastic.

• Like 1

I've said same many times. £15 - £18 for fifteen (?) races just doesn't offer good value for money especially when one has to find petrol money on top. Either extra races should be included in the package (would be my preferred choice) or pay the riders less and if that means that the 'stars' no longer find it viable competing in Britain then so be it.

I gave some promotional talks at some schools some 14 or so years ago but unfortunately got very little input from the promotion at the time and it proved a bit of a damp squibb. I was promised a bike that never materialised and other incentives and it was hard work trying to sound enthusiastic.

Lets hope that alongside a new generation of supporters there are also a new generation of promoters coming through with more forward thinking, I believe we have one at Redcar.

• Like 2

Too many promotions do not seem to bother with the relatively inexpensive basics of marketing in their catchment area ( within 30 miles say ) and if they have a column in a local paper - that seems to have ticked the box re marketing! For those local newspaper readers who see a speedway headline " Fred Dasher - signs for the Falcons" it's meaningless and probably never read. Got to work a lot harder at getting people to actually see ( view on You Tube ) a minute of an exciting race - with passing. There seems far too much passivity from most promotions and the NEC Bike Show stand is an example. Ironic that Coventry ( who the stand pushed as being nearby ) are in crisis yet again themselves. Hopefully there was a spin off to clubs elsewhere. What should happen on a stand run by the BSPA is they give out 50,000 free tickets for a visit to any speedway circuit with a map listing them all AND a DVD of the best 100 races of the previous season. Without better local cheap marketing and some effort nationally there is very little chance of those new generation of fans wandering in!

• Like 2

How do you know I'm not likely to go again? As I said, I stopped going regularly for a variety of reasons, now don't live in the UK, and don't have a convenient local track to attend even if I did.

The people who still go regularly may grumble about things, but they're still going so can't be that disenchanted. Obviously their opinions shouldn't be disregarded, but it's the people who don't go you really need to be asking.

The first problem with speedway is that most of the population have barely heard of it, so it's a bit difficult to ask people who have no interest in the first place what they'd like. So you've then got to target the people who're well aware of what speedway is, who may have previously gone regularly, but have fallen away from the sport for whatever reason.

In my case, the nail in the coffin was the closing of the local track, but I had become increasingly disenchanted with the sport for 2 or 3 years leading up to it. Meetings being called off at the drop of a hat, meetings taking an age to run with endless indeterminable delays, and what just seemed to be a general contempt for the paying public.

I'd still go to the occasional meeting elsewhere when I was nearby though, and the fact that I'm still on a speedway forum suggests I haven't completely lost interest. However, with not going very often any more, it gives one a different perspective, and sorry to say that the sport just comes over as being from a different era nowadays.

Not sure what the 'one third of British tracks' relates to. I've been to just about every British track, although some admittedly not for a number of years. Most were rundown dumps then, and I'd be amazed if they've improved any in the intervening years given the general state of the sport. One exception was the new Belle Vue which I went and looked at earlier this year when I had an hour to spare in Manchester, and my recollection was that Mildenhall was a pleasant but remote experience when I went a couple of years ago.

I didn't comment at all on the quality of the racing at all, and I already clarified my comments on presentation were about the suggestions to bring back the old ways as the solution to improving crowds. However, it's quite apparent from reading comments on here, that little has been done to address the delays that were becoming increasingly prevalent even when I was going regularly. It may not be the case everywhere, but to me the public needs to know what a speedway meeting entails wherever they go, not just what the local track may decide.

In how many sports do you need to fill in the programme in order to follow the proceedings? Does anyone do manual lap scoring in F1 these days?

I imagine young people are stimulated in the same way as they always were - by introducing them to different experiences and then leaving them to their, erm... own devices. What's difficult for people to understand who didn't grow up with the Internet (which includes me), is that there's so much information easily available out there now that's it's difficult to absorb, far less work out what's interesting.

We were limited by the knowledge we could obtain in the local library and what we could make out of Meccano, and had to occupy ourselves kicking balls around the park, reading the limited selection of books available or designing Hornby train layouts (in the days before there were computer programs to help you). The options were much more limited.

Having said this, I think the trend towards 'interactive' museums is more driven by adults who think it's what the 'yoof' wants rather than what it needs. I certainly think the average museum of the past could have provided a bit more explanatory material around their exhibits, but I'd have felt utterly patronised as an 8-year to have to press buttons to supposedly learn stuff.

Trouble is one ends up with an attraction and/or museum that doesn't appeal to any particular age group because it's either been 'dumbed down' or is looked upon as too intellectual for the average person. I go to many such attractions (as it's my job) and I find that many fit into either of these categories.

Trouble is one ends up with an attraction and/or museum that doesn't appeal to any particular age group because it's either been 'dumbed down' or is looked upon as too intellectual for the average person. I go to many such attractions (as it's my job) and I find that many fit into either of these categories.

The trouble started when museums were encouraged to become more populist, which was partly driven by them being forced to open for free. Whilst the underlying intention was good, the reality is that museums just seem to have become extensions of shopping malls, with the exhibits often secondary to the 'experience'.

And somehow intellectualism is frowned about these days, with the assumption that things have to be dumbed down if they're to be popular. How on earth you can't interest kids in things like rockets and trains by themselves is beyond me, and all the other paraphernalia catering for them is just a distraction. Going to a museum should also be considered a social development experience, not just about learning but learning how to learn and how to behave in a public space even if it might be boring.

Of course one of the problems I find with museums is that I can actually learn more about what's in them on the Internet, and I don't have to fight my way through gift stores and coffee shops to do it. :rolleyes:

But who is still reading local newspapers these days? I'd hasten to guess the demographic is older people who're being alerted to the fact they can watch a DVD about how better things were in the past. It's a complete turn-off to anyone under 40, even if they actually own a DVD player anymore.

I'm not knocking what you do at Backtrack because I think you do a great job and I like speedway nostalgia, but a teenager reading about riders from 70s would have as much relevance to their lives as Glenn Miller and Sprouts Elder did to mine.

• Like 2

John Gaisford, of the Oxford Mail, used to give first class coverage of the sport at Cowley but I recall that it started to wain because he wasn't getting any stories/news passed to him by the promotion and therefore had very little to comment upon.

Trouble is the facilities are often not down to the responsibility of the promoters who don't own the stadium but lease it on a seasonal basis.

As regards the "younger generation" what do they want? As my previous posts indicate I'm at a loss and without their input and relevant research and/or marketing of the product will we ever get to know? They appear to take an interest in football but that's inherent based on the fact that it's expected and the 'cool thing to do' because of all the over exposure that the game attracts...but is it warranted? Personally I feel that it goes much deeper than that and young people take less interest in activities that appeal to us 'oldies' and the hobbies that we grew up with and openly ridicule same as 'boring!'

I go fishing (surrounded by 'old' people). I pursue steam locos (surrounded by 'old' people). I've re-discovered model railways (surrounded by 'old' people). I enjoy photography (proper stuff not 'sellfie fun activities' that ultimately goes on social media to alert their many 'friends' - surrounded by 'old' people) etc etc

I work with a group of much younger people than myself, and they're a great bunch, but they seem so obsessed with social media and facebook and spend most of their break/lunch times accessing same. Trying to discuss something can be tiresome because it often ultimately gets pushed to one side and looked upon as distracting as their ipiddy poddy paddy thingies must take precedence.

Exactly. Which is why I suggested much earlier in this thread giving up on trying to appeal to a youth market that will never be interested in a sport such as speedway. Three hours to run a meeting? Most youngsters (generalising here, but true of about 90%) just don't have the attention-span to concentrate on one thing for three minutes. As you say, if they are not staring at a small screen and pushing a keypad of an iGadget, they're not interested.

Not even sure that massive TV exposure would even do the trick, because less people are watching TV now.

They would notice and possibly follow a 'celebrity' but, as said earlier, riders first need to become one and that's not going to happen in this sport.

When I took my three kids (then aged under-10) to Arena-Essex in the 80s, the highlight of their night was the sweet stall on the first bend. They also wanted to see "more crashes".

See, give up on 'em!

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

But who is still reading local newspapers these days? I'd hasten to guess the demographic is older people who're being alerted to the fact they can watch a DVD about how better things were in the past. It's a complete turn-off to anyone under 40, even if they actually own a DVD player anymore.

I'm not knocking what you do at Backtrack because I think you do a great job and I like speedway nostalgia, but a teenager reading about riders from 70s would have as much relevance to their lives as Glenn Miller and Sprouts Elder did to mine.

I agree. I was just trying to make the point that local papers will publicise speedway if you are proactive enough and feed them info on a plate, especially if (as we did) you throw in a competition for their readers to win something for free.

Last week, we also got a full page in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus, who were interested in the Odsal-related content in our new Backtrackin books. We simply sent them a copy of the book, highlighting the possible Bradford angles, and the Features Editor (a lady) emailed back to request pictures to accompany the words.

I most definitely don't include Mike Bacon in this generalisation but, from past experience of working in offices shared with local sports journos, they are intrinisically lazy and love having all the leg-work done for them.

Steve Roberts mentioned John Gaisford, who I remember as a great friend to Oxford. He had a brilliant working relationship with Bernard Crapper and John Payne and John G was a regular at Cowley on race night. The same situation was replicated up and down the country . . . Elvin King (Evening Star) at Ipswich; Tom Johnston (Express & Star) at Cradley & Wolves; John Hyam (South London Press) at Wimbledon; Don Allen (Ilford Recorder) at Hackney; Ben Findon (Argus) at Eastbourne; Frank McLean (Manchester Evening News) at Belle Vue; Gordon Sampson (Evening Courier) at Halifax and many others whose names elude me at this moment . . . they were genuine speedway supporters who wrote with passion about their local teams.

The guys who wrote for the nationals in the 70s and 80s: Dick Bott (Sunday Express), Phil Rising (Daily Mail), Peter Oakes (Daily Star), Dave Lanning (Sun), Graham Baker (Daily Mirror) and Kier Radnedge (Daily Mail) . . . most of them were/are big fans of speedway who utilised their vast contacts and knowledge to push it at every opportunity in Fleet Street.

While speedway's own self-inflicted problems, and decline in popularity are the main reasons why the sport has fallen off a cliff as far as the nationals are concerned (with one or two notable exceptions), it's no coincidence that the column inches dried up with the retirement (and in some cases death of) these knowledgeable media speedway drum-beaters, and I wonder if that's happening too now with regional papers?

I hope not, because from a local journo's perspective, speedway does offer a lot that other more popular sports do not. For a start, reporters enjoy very good access to the competitors which simply is no longer the case in football at Premier League and Championship (second tier) level, and even many League One and League Two players have become prima donnas.

When I started covering my team, West Ham, players were happy to give out their home phone numbers and for me to call them at more or less any time. It was the same with most other clubs too. Brilliant. An exclusive one-to-one and no fee payable. They trusted you not to stitch them up or fabricate quotes. What they said was 'off the record' remained so. But players and managers don't trust the media anymore. Nowadays, the press have to go through a club's precious media dept to try and arrange interviews, which are often refused on the flimsiest of excuses.

Contrast that with speedway, where members of the press can just walk into the pits and approach a rider, team manager or promoter directly for quotes after racing. And 99 times out of 100 they are delighted to talk.

And let's face it, while football is my other main sporting love, it's very fair to say that, generally speaking, speedway riders are far more interesting, as characters, compared to footballers. What's more and most importantly from the media's point of view, they are allowed to express their opinions much more freely. When was the last interesting interview, filmed or in written form, you saw involving a current footballer? They are now media-trained to give mundane, predictable answers to gentle, non-probing questions: "We'll take the positives from the game (a 4-0 defeat!) and move on to the next one. It was great to do it for the fans. There are no easy games in this league, blah, blah (yawn, yawn)."

So my point is, speedway DOES have some good things going for it that other sports lack. It's up to the promoters and PROs to get busy and spread the word.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 3

I agree. I was just trying to make the point that local papers will publicise speedway if you are proactive enough and feed them info on a plate, especially if (as we did) you throw in a competition for their readers to win something for free.

Last week, we also got a full page in the Bradford Telegraph & Argus, who were interested in the Odsal-related content in our new Backtrackin books. We simply sent them a copy of the book, highlighting the possible Bradford angles, and the Features Editor (a lady) emailed back to request pictures to accompany the words.

I most definitely don't include Mike Bacon in this generalisation but, from past experience of working in offices shared with local sports journos, they are intrinisically lazy and love having all the leg-work done for them.

Steve Roberts mentioned John Gaisford, who I remember as a great friend to Oxford. He had a brilliant working relationship with Bernard Crapper and John Payne and John G was a regular at Cowley on race night. The same situation was replicated up and down the country . . . Elvin King (Evening Star) at Ipswich; Tom Johnston (Express & Star) at Cradley & Wolves; John Hyam (South London Press) at Wimbledon; Don Allen (Ilford Recorder) at Hackney; Ben Findon (Argus) at Eastbourne; Frank McLean (Manchester Evening News) at Belle Vue; Gordon Sampson (Evening Courier) at Halifax and many others whose names elude me at this moment . . . they were genuine speedway supporters who wrote with passion about their local teams.

The guys who wrote for the nationals in the 70s and 80s: Dick Bott (Sunday Express), Phil Rising (Daily Mail), Peter Oakes (Daily Star), Dave Lanning (Sun), Graham Baker (Daily Mirror) and Kier Radnedge (Daily Mail) . . . most of them were/are big fans of speedway who utilised their vast contacts and knowledge to push it at every opportunity in Fleet Street.

While speedway's own self-inflicted problems, and decline in popularity are the main reasons why the sport has fallen off a cliff as far as the nationals are concerned (with one or two notable exceptions), it's no coincidence that the column inches dried up with the retirement (and in some cases death of) these knowledgeable media speedway drum-beaters, and I wonder if that's happening too now with regional papers?

I hope not, because from a local journo's perspective, speedway does offer a lot that other more popular sports do not. For a start, reporters enjoy very good access to the competitors which simply is no longer the case in football at Premier League and Championship (second tier) level, and even many League One and League Two players have become prima donnas.

When I started covering my team, West Ham, players were happy to give out their home phone numbers and for me to call them at more or less any time. It was the same with most other clubs too. Brilliant. An exclusive one-to-one and no fee payable. They trusted you not to stitch them up or fabricate quotes. What they said was 'off the record' remained so. But players and managers don't trust the media anymore. Nowadays, the press have to go through a club's precious media dept to try and arrange interviews, which are often refused on the flimsiest of excuses.

Contrast that with speedway, where members of the press can just walk into the pits and approach a rider, team manager or promoter directly for quotes after racing. And 99 times out of 100 they are delighted to talk.

And let's face it, while football is my other main sporting love, it's very fair to say that, generally speaking, speedway riders are far more interesting, as characters, compared to footballers. What's more and most importantly from the media's point of view, they are allowed to express their opinions much more freely. When was the last interesting interview, filmed or in written form, you saw involving a current footballer? They are now media-trained to give mundane, predictable answers to gentle, non-probing questions: "We'll take the positives from the game (a 4-0 defeat!) and move on to the next one. It was great to do it for the fans. There are no easy games in this league, blah, blah (yawn, yawn)."

So my point is, speedway DOES have some good things going for it that other sports lack. It's up to the promoters and PROs to get busy and spread the word.

One of Isle of Wight's sponsors is.................the Isle of Wight County Press.

Barry Bishop simply doesn't miss a trick.

• Like 1

HA - but doesn't this relate back to my earlier comment about today's promoters focussing on trying to lure back yesterday's older fans - through local media targeting their catchment area?

I think it would be a massive mistake to dismiss the value of enticing along new senior citizen supporters and focus most energy on trying to attract a new, younger audience that isn't interested in speedway at their current stage (they may grow to try it in later life, though).

Remember, many men, women and couples who have reached retirement age have spare time, large disposable incomes, good pensions, that youngsters do not. Saga is a thriving concern, the 'grey pound' is flourishing.

And many of these seniors will have attended speedway in their younger days, probably when the sport was enjoying a relatively boom period, and so they have happy memories of childhood days at their local tracks. Let's try and rekindle those memories.

As we know from the way our own business has evolved, an increasing number of over-65s are discovering the Internet and using social media. You only have to log on to Facebook to see a myriad of different pages with a retro speedway theme and how people like to 'chat' among themselves. Twitter, too, is gaining more and more older users. We are welcoming new, over-65, subscribers every week, so the interest is out there.

So why don't promoters reach out to the older generation who, for whatever reason (starting a family, divorce, change of jobs, house moves, etc) stopped going years ago, but might be tempted back.

Before anyone points out that focusing on the older generation will result in most of today's customers all being dead in 20 years from now, remember that today's 40-year-olds will be the next generation to keep the speedway turnstiles clicking . . .

'Oldies' are the future.

Edited by tmc

How do you know I'm not likely to go again? As I said, I stopped going regularly for a variety of reasons, now don't live in the UK, and don't have a convenient local track to attend even if I did.

The people who still go regularly may grumble about things, but they're still going so can't be that disenchanted. Obviously their opinions shouldn't be disregarded, but it's the people who don't go you really need to be asking.

The first problem with speedway is that most of the population have barely heard of it, so it's a bit difficult to ask people who have no interest in the first place what they'd like. So you've then got to target the people who're well aware of what speedway is, who may have previously gone regularly, but have fallen away from the sport for whatever reason.

In my case, the nail in the coffin was the closing of the local track, but I had become increasingly disenchanted with the sport for 2 or 3 years leading up to it. Meetings being called off at the drop of a hat, meetings taking an age to run with endless indeterminable delays, and what just seemed to be a general contempt for the paying public.

I'd still go to the occasional meeting elsewhere when I was nearby though, and the fact that I'm still on a speedway forum suggests I haven't completely lost interest. However, with not going very often any more, it gives one a different perspective, and sorry to say that the sport just comes over as being from a different era nowadays.

Not sure what the 'one third of British tracks' relates to. I've been to just about every British track, although some admittedly not for a number of years. Most were rundown dumps then, and I'd be amazed if they've improved any in the intervening years given the general state of the sport. One exception was the new Belle Vue which I went and looked at earlier this year when I had an hour to spare in Manchester, and my recollection was that Mildenhall was a pleasant but remote experience when I went a couple of years ago.

I didn't comment at all on the quality of the racing at all, and I already clarified my comments on presentation were about the suggestions to bring back the old ways as the solution to improving crowds. However, it's quite apparent from reading comments on here, that little has been done to address the delays that were becoming increasingly prevalent even when I was going regularly. It may not be the case everywhere, but to me the public needs to know what a speedway meeting entails wherever they go, not just what the local track may decide.

In how many sports do you need to fill in the programme in order to follow the proceedings? Does anyone do manual lap scoring in F1 these days?

I imagine young people are stimulated in the same way as they always were - by introducing them to different experiences and then leaving them to their, erm... own devices. What's difficult for people to understand who didn't grow up with the Internet (which includes me), is that there's so much information easily available out there now that's it's difficult to absorb, far less work out what's interesting.

We were limited by the knowledge we could obtain in the local library and what we could make out of Meccano, and had to occupy ourselves kicking balls around the park, reading the limited selection of books available or designing Hornby train layouts (in the days before there were computer programs to help you). The options were much more limited.

Having said this, I think the trend towards 'interactive' museums is more driven by adults who think it's what the 'yoof' wants rather than what it needs. I certainly think the average museum of the past could have provided a bit more explanatory material around their exhibits, but I'd have felt utterly patronised as an 8-year to have to press buttons to supposedly learn stuff.

'I stopped going regularly for a variety of reasons, now don't live in the UK, and don't have a convenient local track to attend even if I did'.

Isn't that enough to suggest you're unlikely to go again ?

I very much disagree that you don't put the views and opinions of those attending speedway first and believe that smacks of the complacent, take them for granted attitude that I find so prevalent within speedway. It means that there is an acceptance - at least to a degree - that everyone still going is perfectly happy and will keep going no matter what. As its clear that hundreds if not thousands have deserted the sport for varying reasons, that's simply not true.

Take me, for example. I spend a lot of money watching speedway and travel an equal amount of miles to do so. But in 2015 I boycotted a track because of their attitude, I did it to a different track in 2016 and will do the same in 2017. Even for someone as committed as myself, there are limits.

I also find - mostly on here - that those who have stopped going simply have no interest in going back. They just complain and slag the sport off all the time and some have even said they wouldn't return even if it was free. I really don't understand why you would put the needs and wishes of such people above a current paying customer.

One third of British tracks are on Sky Sports, so comment can be made on the racing.

To illustrate the point about going and not going, Belle Vue have a new stadium. So (apparently) will Swindon. Scunthorpe has been re-developed year on year and will have new facilities in place in 2017. Glasgow has been subject to major improvement, and you wouldn't recognise Rye House. The back straight terracing at Ipswich has been completely changed, Redcar have a new stand and there have been minor (but important) changes for the good at the likes of Mildenhall, Plymouth, and Workington. I believe King's Lynn has an ongoing programme of works. That's over a third of current stadiums, and that's only the ones I can think of.

How do I know this ? Because I have been to them all in the last few years. .

Having been critical, what you say about ridiculous delays holds a great deal of water. Intervals, in particular, really stick in my craw. They had an unbelievable 20 minute one at Birmingham last March. Who on earth wants to stand about in the freezing cold for that long ?

• Like 1

You're quite right that you need to make it easy. I've certainly got stuff published in publications by just writing the article for the journalists (which also ensured the facts were correct!), and it's a pretty cheap east way of getting some exposure.

However, readership of local newspapers has fallen through the floor in recent years, and the result has been culling of reporters. I'd be surprised if local newspapers can even spare a reporter to cover speedway and probably rely on volunteers to submit copy nowadays. Even John Gaisford I think did it more-or-less as a hobby in later years.

And even assuming that local newspapers are still read by anyone, are you getting across the message to an audience that's going to constitute the future of your business?

They trusted you not to stitch them up or fabricate quotes. What they said was 'off the record' remained so. But players and managers don't trust the media anymore.

And they're right to be untrusting. The modern media method seems to be to always try to find some sort of controversial angle, and if the facts don't fit, then either omit them or make something up.

I very occasionally have journalists calling me to do stories on this or that, and whilst it's usually about reasonably complex technicalities, most seem completely incapable of relating any resemblance of what they've been told. And you also have to always insist on approving the copy before it's published, otherwise all sorts of controversial rubbish will be attributed to you.

That's basically why journalists get mundane and meaningless answers.

• Like 1

Before anyone points out that focusing on the older generation will result in most of today's customers all being dead in 20 years from now, remember that today's 40-year-olds will be the next generation to keep the speedway turnstiles clicking . . .

'Oldies' are the future.

If you start to completely forget about getting kids to attend then where are you going to get future riders from?

I know it's difficult for most clubs due to stadium restrictions etc but the best way to get younger people interested is to make it easier for them to try the sport themselves. That is the ultimate problem, it's easy to get them interested in football, rugby, cricket, tennis etc because it is so easy for them to do those sports. Clearly speedway is entirely different but there are clubs who hold training days for little or no cost and they should be heavily advertised more than the sport itself. Get them interested in the bikes and riding first.

• Like 3

You're quite right that you need to make it easy. I've certainly got stuff published in publications by just writing the article for the journalists (which also ensured the facts were correct!), and it's a pretty cheap east way of getting some exposure.

However, readership of local newspapers has fallen through the floor in recent years, and the result has been culling of reporters. I'd be surprised if local newspapers can even spare a reporter to cover speedway and probably rely on volunteers to submit copy nowadays. Even John Gaisford I think did it more-or-less as a hobby in later years.

And even assuming that local newspapers are still read by anyone, are you getting across the message to an audience that's going to constitute the future of your business?

And they're right to be untrusting. The modern media method seems to be to always try to find some sort of controversial angle, and if the facts don't fit, then either omit them or make something up.

I very occasionally have journalists calling me to do stories on this or that, and whilst it's usually about reasonably complex technicalities, most seem completely incapable of relating any resemblance of what they've been told. And you also have to always insist on approving the copy before it's published, otherwise all sorts of controversial rubbish will be attributed to you.

That's basically why journalists get mundane and meaningless answers.

I never knew about that! One lives and learns!

If you start to completely forget about getting kids to attend then where are you going to get future riders from?

I know it's difficult for most clubs due to stadium restrictions etc but the best way to get younger people interested is to make it easier for them to try the sport themselves. That is the ultimate problem, it's easy to get them interested in football, rugby, cricket, tennis etc because it is so easy for them to do those sports. Clearly speedway is entirely different but there are clubs who hold training days for little or no cost and they should be heavily advertised more than the sport itself. Get them interested in the bikes and riding first.

Good point. I'm not saying COMPLETELY forget about trying to attract a younger audience - just don't waste money the sport doesn't have on what will largely be a futile exercise.

What I should have added to my previous post about luring back the retired oldies with disposable income is that, by doing so, tracks might also welcome new, much younger, supporters at the same time. It's the way of the world now that many grandparents are saddled with their grandkids for days and weeks during school holidays, when their offspring are working. So there would be a chance for them to treat the grandkids to a night or day out at the speedway.

I agree with what you say about the best way to appeal to kids is to let them have a 'skid' themselves, ideally on scaled down bikes of much lower cc, as they do in Denmark. But how many tracks, especially those who rent their stadium, can offer such opportunities and facilities?

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Of course in my boy hood day riders always took kids around the track on their bikes during the interval and I remember collecting autographs in the pits as the riders were getting changed and dismantling their machinery and being in awe of my heroes...but good old H&S and all that!

• Like 2