British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2017 N/l?

alfiemorris

Sheffield did amazingly well last season, but have a look and see what their fans think of their ex rider team manager (now ex team manager).

Gary May has certainly been one of the most successful, but he never got beyond being an NL reserve or so. John Campbell often manages Edinburgh, who have also been very successful recently and he has never ridden. Eastbourne's hail of trophies over the last two seasons has been impressive and they had Glenn Martin and Connor Dugard (who have also never ridden). As you say, Peter Adams has been hugely successful and it would be unfair to say that that is down to being with top riders - the 1978 speedway yearbook (his first BL win with Coventry) states that he played a major part in that win.

Thee was no way on this earth that the team manager at Plymouth was going to be anyone but Laurence. I am biased, but I really don't see why they would need or want anyone else.

Well said Halifax tiger,at this moment in time Laurence is the man for the job (being part of the new Devils set up why would you need anyone else).

All the very best for 2017 to one and all behind the Devils team.

Looking forward to seeing three of the team ,Saul bulley, richard Andrews, and henry Atkins at the Plymouth Speedway Arena on completion of their sponsored cycle ride from Exeter on Saturday , the guys are expected to arrive between 2 and 3.30 pm in their quest to raise funds towards the new A+ FIM specification Briggs Airfence... designed to stop the riders from "going under the fence on impact" .. the next step in rider safety... everyone is welcome to join us lenny's catering will be in attendance

I understand there was a very disappointing turn out of workers on Sat, only 4 men plus a small group of ladies, who I am told worked their socks off and one lady even managed to get the rugby players to wash the mud off their boots BEFORE they returned to the changing rooms.

Where were all the race night people who expect to get in free on race nights snd spend their time carrying a clip board around? Lets face it, in 17 Plymouth will effectively be a community club fighting to survive, it will need people who want to help and not lots of people who are only interested in getting in free se hse been the case for the past years.

There were definitely more than 4 volunteers plus the ladies there yesterday ! We are grateful for any assistance however Saturday was for boys doing the bike ride with a reception party to welcome them into the SBA.

There will be no people walking round with clipboards looking important at all and no freeloaders!!

• Like 2

I understand there was a very disappointing turn out of workers on Sat, only 4 men plus a small group of ladies, who I am told worked their socks off and one lady even managed to get the rugby players to wash the mud off their boots BEFORE they returned to the changing rooms.

Where were all the race night people who expect to get in free on race nights snd spend their time carrying a clip board around? Lets face it, in 17 Plymouth will effectively be a community club fighting to survive, it will need people who want to help and not lots of people who are only interested in getting in free se hse been the case for the past years.

Indeed one group of freeloaders are conspicuous by their absence this winter!
  • Like 2

as these days I am on a zimmer frame and hsvent been outside the front door in over12 months I have to rely on 3rd party reports to me this one came from one of the weekends workers who was feeling very disappointed at the turn out. Talking to members of Dads army, most of them have hit the wall where you are forced to admit you just cant do it any more.

Edited by barncooseboy

I have until now resisted any comment on this thread but it has to be said that certain people pledged their support and offered to help at the launch meeting. Why would you offer help and then not lift a finger? We all know who they are, they put their names down! Where was "the wall" only a few weeks before?

There has been a small but hard working group at weekends and a few who have worked all week and in all weather. Their achievements are there for all to see, a real tribute to loyalty and hard work. I would also mention some brilliant people behind the scenes who have procured materials and equipment.

• Like 1

I have until now resisted any comment on this thread but it has to be said that certain people pledged their support and offered to help at the launch meeting. Why would you offer help and then not lift a finger? We all know who they are, they put their names down! Where was "the wall" only a few weeks before?

There has been a small but hard working group at weekends and a few who have worked all week and in all weather. Their achievements are there for all to see, a real tribute to loyalty and hard work. I would also mention some brilliant people behind the scenes who have procured materials and equipment.

Better off without them anyway some of them helped out in the past because they had a personal agenda which wasnt anything to do with helping plymouth speedway good riddance imo.

I was what up at Wimbledon stadium tonight, and top west country National Saloon Stock Car #28 Ian Govier had "Plymouth Devils Speedway" in big letters on the crowd side of his car. Not sure if it's a sponsorship deal or whether Ian is just a fan but it was very prominent either way.

Just thought I would post some positivity amongst the negativity on this page.

• Like 5

I was what up at Wimbledon stadium tonight, and top west country National Saloon Stock Car #28 Ian Govier had "Plymouth Devils Speedway" in big letters on the crowd side of his car. Not sure if it's a sponsorship deal or whether Ian is just a fan but it was very prominent either way.

Just thought I would post some positivity amongst the negativity on this page.

Agree it does come across as negative but its just a hangover of whats previously gone on but overall the club is in a better situation than previous and the general feeling of optimism around.

Better off without them anyway some of them helped out in the past because they had a personal agenda which wasnt anything to do with helping plymouth speedway good riddance imo.

I speak for my self on this comment I have followed the DEVILS at home and away since speedway came back in Plymouth at the SBA. I like others worked to keep speedway going in all weathers My agenda was only to keep speedwaygoing in Plymouth,I say to you (you gave very little help in any way)but you always make comments about supporters and help given!

There just my be a reason (once again I speak for my self)why I have not been down helping.

I will still follow them at home, plus try and get to away meetings. If Devilman and yourself would like to know my reasons I will tell you face to face when the time comes.

Edited by Mikebendone

This is crazy.. the Team are in a new generation now with new promoters which are doing an amazing job and you guys still harp on about the past..

so what if people put their name down how do you know there are not other reasons for their non attendance it always has to be an agenda people should not feel forced to go down and if they dont should not get this kind of treatment.

if they dont go down they dont go down if its for other reasons leave them be they will pay to get in at the end of the day but if they feel like they are being looked at like this they may not turn up.

let the past go let petty jibes go.. this is a new era of speedway in Plymouth and its being run by two guys who have a lot of passion for the sport support them with everything you have they will need it for the beginning part of the season.

This topic should be about the Devils and the new team etc.. not about people turning up and not.. and Godfrey Spargo stop spreading your little rumours about what you hear is going on.. get that bee out of your bonnet and support the best you can.. if you cant do that then dont.. i am pretty sure the two guys running the team wont lose any sleep over it.

Fine Mike, I trust you are well.

You are well aware that some have a very different and apparently selfish agenda.

In stead of running these supporters down why not ask them why,from what I know none of them have a selfish agenda towards the club !

There are many outstanding unanswered things about the fan-zone, air fence collection that need closure from last season and this may be holding supporters back.

After this I feel a lot of supporters would move on.

In stead of running these supporters down why not ask them why,from what I know none of them have a selfish agenda towards the club !

There are many outstanding unanswered things about the fan-zone, air fence collection that need closure from last season and this may be holding supporters back.

After this I feel a lot of supporters would move on.

let the air fence collection go.. let the fan zone things go... all went with the old promotion who have absolutely nothing to do with the new guys.. never hold onto a grudge it will eat you up and things never move on trust me.. the new promotion are working their backsides off to give you guys the sport you love support them not harp onto the past.

let the air fence collection go.. let the fan zone things go... all went with the old promotion who have absolutely nothing to do with the new guys.. never hold onto a grudge it will eat you up and things never move on trust me.. the new promotion are working their backsides off to give you guys the sport you love support them not harp onto the past.

NO this matter requires closing with the facts and truth, you may be able to move on but I know of many who need closure on these matters (this had nothing to do with the last promoters ).

NO this matter requires closing with the facts and truth, you may be able to move on but I know of many who need closure on these matters (this had nothing to do with the last promoters ).

you need to take it up with them directly then keep it off the forum as anyone can read this all be it a new supporter if it is god help them this place can be ruthless..

Dont let it spoil the sport you enjoy in Plymouth and the new promotion.. I would guess the people involved with those things are no longer involved.. I dont live in Plymouth any more but had my hand in when i was there defending the in-defensible as in Mr Bowden.. all these things you mention about are nothing to with the new promotion or the people involved with the running of it..

would it be easier to say ( and i know nothing of it so excuse me ) all the money has gone... all the promises have gone... people lied to you.. again i dont know anything of what went on and what was said.. but if you take worst case understand that then move on..

is it that easy ?

Edited by no name