British Speedway Forum

What Makes A Good Team Manager?

I expect he probably would. Neil Street was a real nice bloke as well. Always had time for everybody.

Hell just froze over. I completely, 100% agree with starman.

Not only was Neil a nice bloke with time for everyone and anyone he was so down to earth and always seemed to be amazed that people were so interested in what he had to say. The guy knew more about speedway than any of us could dream about knowing but always had a way of explaining it to us lesser people! Never once heard anyone say anything bad about him.

Whatever it was Neil has is what you needed to be a good team manager. I can even forgive him for the time Newport went 6 down at Exeter after heat 7 and he wasn't going to make a tac sub until we leaned over the pit wall and informed him we were 6 down. It was Neil Street, we couldn't get angry, we just laughed about it.

Hell just froze over. I completely, 100% agree with starman.

Not only was Neil a nice bloke with time for everyone and anyone he was so down to earth and always seemed to be amazed that people were so interested in what he had to say. The guy knew more about speedway than any of us could dream about knowing but always had a way of explaining it to us lesser people! Never once heard anyone say anything bad about him.

Whatever it was Neil has is what you needed to be a good team manager. I can even forgive him for the time Newport went 6 down at Exeter after heat 7 and he wasn't going to make a tac sub until we leaned over the pit wall and informed him we were 6 down. It was Neil Street, we couldn't get angry, we just laughed about it.

Totally agree. Neil street was very down to earth and would speak to anybody. And as far as im aware nobody did say a bad word about him.

lol not got it bad. just my opinion that Middlo isnt a great manager , good enough but by no means the best

Ive noticed you've not added one post on the Ipswich thread. no suprise there. Ipswich fan, phooey. Whatever your drinking i dont want any. You must have watched carry on screaming the other night..

I've also rode a couple of meetings for middlo and stayed his place when mechanicing for other riders , the big difference between him and Adams is middlo is like one of the lads where Adams most defiantly isn't I prefer middlo as a team manager but I think Adams is better at it . Jack lee is a very good TM but has mainly played his trade at the lower levels but was good at bham and Sheffield . If you have team riders like Sam Ermolenko or Jason crump you don't really need a TM

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

Totally agree. Neil street was very down to earth and would speak to anybody. And as far as im aware nobody did say a bad word about him.

Ive noticed you've not added one post on the Ipswich thread. no suprise there. Ipswich fan, phooey. Whatever your drinking i dont want any. You must have watched carry on screaming the other night..

Well your wrong there buddy ive commented a few time son the Ipswich thread re Risager not coming back and who we should build our team around.

Ive also commented on the Belle Vue thread, Rye House thread and the Somerset thread as well.

Thing is its a forum , you know where you can make opinions on anything on any topic, its allowed.

This is a thread about team managers and my first post on the subject was on page 1 of the thread saying who i though the best 3 current managers are.

Now im sorry you are to precious to accept Middlo isnt one of those. As it happens its only 2 people on here, you and Shovlar , who think he is. Biased as always basically.

If you dont like opinions then dont comment. People wont always agree with you. Poole have had the best 1-7 pretty much every season Middlo has been there. Wouldnt be difficult to win the league with those sides so why does that make him a great manager?? Rosco (who also isnt the best) won the league with 2 different sides, lets see Middlo move to another team and then see how he does

I've also rode a couple of meetings for middlo and stayed his place when mechanicing for other riders , the big difference between him and Adams is middlo is like one of the lads where Adams most defiantly isn't I prefer middlo as a team manager but I think Adams is better at it . Jack lee is a very good TM but has mainly played his trade at the lower levels but was good at bham and Sheffield . If you have team riders like Sam Ermolenko or Jason crump you don't really need a TM

I thought boocock was a great manager,the same as bill and middlo but there was some very poor ones in my time too but I can also say the same about promoters good and very bad.

Best manager in the league by a mile. Knows what to say and when to say it, as a rule just lets the boys get on with it, unless he needs to advise. No soapbox no ranting and raving. Ive only seen Neil raise his voice once..

Middlo may or may not be the best but he gets a superb team each year with some fancy guests in the play off's. Two seasons ago he had Hancock come into the team, he is an excellent pro so he would be easy, but Middlo didn't inspire Lindback this year did he !!

The best managers have a big chequebook behind them.

Middlo may or may not be the best but he gets a superb team each year with some fancy guests in the play off's. Two seasons ago he had Hancock come into the team, he is an excellent pro so he would be easy, but Middlo didn't inspire Lindback this year did he !!

The best managers have a big chequebook behind them.

This year their end of season trickery wont be possible.

Anton rode one meeting then was hospialised with a stoumach problem he's had before, i hope that helps. As for Greggy we were totally entitled to bring him in..

I think Neil Street was about the nicest man I ever met and superb at bringing out the best in riders, great talent spotter, superb motivator and the best coach I've ever seen. I do believe that he lacked the ruthless streak I think a great team manager sometimes needs, if anything though that's a compliment to the character of the man.

• Like 1

Anton rode one meeting then was hospialised with a stoumach problem he's had before, i hope that helps. As for Greggy we were totally entitled to bring him in..

is "greggy" a handle only his closest friends use??

neil street was totally in a class of his own,im sure middlo would be very happy to be nearly as good as him

• Like 1

I think Neil Street was about the nicest man I ever met and superb at bringing out the best in riders, great talent spotter, superb motivator and the best coach I've ever seen. I do believe that he lacked the ruthless streak I think a great team manager sometimes needs, if anything though that's a compliment to the character of the man.

No Neil street didn't spot them, somebody did it for him and they were recomened to him at Poole during the Pete Ansell Mervin stewkebury promotion.

In the meantime Matt still has the same outlets.

see how middlo gets on if he has to manage a redcar/Berwick/Leicester/buxton type team.

any idiot could manage a side with unlimited to spend

Unlimited spend. That is something poole speedway does not have. We have a lot very good sponsors a very good fan base and a very shrewd promoter.

Edited by Starman2006

No Neil street didn't spot them, somebody did it for him and they were recomened to him at Poole during the Pete Ansell Mervin stewkebury promotion.

Unlimited spend. That is something poole speedway does not have. We have a lot very good sponsors a very good fan base and a very shrewd promoter.

And more money than anyone else in the league,

I seem to remember streety bringing in several Aussies at Poole and he had his contacts in Austrailia watching the young Aussies progress and getting Pete to sign them. He was a great manager.

• Like 1

And more money than anyone else in the league,

That is not the case. Please read my posts above.

I seem to remember streety bringing in several Aussies at Poole and he had his contacts in Austrailia watching the young Aussies progress and getting Pete to sign them. He was a great manager.

Thats true. Matt still has simular outlets.

Where did I say you couldn't bring in Greg Hancock. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Where did I say you couldn't bring in Greg Hancock. Get the chip off your shoulder.

Just sayin before somebody says you couldn't do that.. Well we did. Usual guff on this forum..

I thought Pete was an excellent promoter when I was at Poole, he looked after everyone,very professional unlike many promoters in the sport.

He was a fantastic bloke. A massive loss to Poole speedway.

• Like 1