British Speedway Forum

What Makes A Good Team Manager?

Someone who knows the rules inside out which makes the theories of Pythagoras look easy.

I would also say knowing a riders mental strengths and weaknesses is pretty key.

There is a huge list as well that most fans probably do not think off.

Ask Middlo.

Middlo would probably admit that Neil Street was Poole's best team manager. He started the production line of Australian talent, that has served Poole well through to the current day. Neil Street bringing in Craig Boyce, Leigh Adams, Tony Langdon, Gary Allan, etc, started that trend.

Bernard Crapper knew how to get the best out of 'Wiggy'. He would just tell someone that he was rubbish in 'Wiggy's' ear shot and that was all the motivation that Simon required!

Bernard had an outstanding record. Team manager in 1985 - won the BL. Same in 1986. And then quit early in 1987. His record was 2 out of 2 at the top level - does any manager have a 100% winning record in top tier speedway?

I think Bernard was ruthless with the tactics and very good at managing the riders and getting the most out of them.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

I've rode for Pete Adams and I just don't get him , I know he is arguably the best but I just don't know why , I got more motivation from a good captain ,

Interesting to hear the views of a rider as I have always thought a motivational captain has a big role to play. Mauger and Olsen were two of the best examples in leading their teams. In modern day terms the truly inspired performance of Chris Harris at Poole in 2010 went a huge way towards the Bees becoming champions that year!

• Like 1

Middlo would probably admit that Neil Street was Poole's best team manager. He started the production line of Australian talent, that has served Poole well through to the current day. Neil Street bringing in Craig Boyce, Leigh Adams, Tony Langdon, Gary Allan, etc, started that trend.

I expect he probably would. Neil Street was a real nice bloke as well. Always had time for everybody.

• Like 2

The world has moved on from the 1980's and before.

Of those I have seen at close quarters in the last few seasons I would put Phil Morris best closely followed by Kelvin Tatum. Those two are on the ball as riders come in getting information from them discussing the race and talking to riders before they go out, also keeping an eye on whats happening between riders so if there are any issues such as riders getting in each others way and tempers might get inflamed they have sorted straightaway. Both bright guys who seem to have all the bases covered. They are the two best IMO.

Behind Phil and Kelvin I would say Mark Lemon, another switched on guy on, of similar ilk, not quite up to Phil and Kelvins standard but very good.

Chris Morton and Jon Cook were very good with the riders before they took on other responsibilities. Both seem to have too many stresses and strains running their clubs these days.

Pete Adams is pretty good I would say but getting a bit past his sell by date. Seems to get stick from his own supporters a lot though, who see him a lot more than I do .Rosco is kind of OK , he does at least get the riders together and build them up but he is a bit of a plonker in some ways and getting a bit past it. Too emotional.

Muddlo would be hopeless away from Poole . Too old school. always moaning, on the phone to the ref almost every race about something or other. Holder seems to have stamped his personality on the Poole side. He seems to lead from the front and the riders follow his example. I don't think they pay a lot of attention to anything Muddlo says. He really is like an old woman these days'.

Rob Lyon and Norrie Allan are just too miserable. Both moaners, and Lyon seems frightened of the Lamberts instead of telling Robert who is boss when he has his tantrums. Not as good as any of the others.

Cant understand anything Gary Havelock is talking about.

Just my opinion but I have seen most of them at work at close quarters.

Muddlo would be hopeless away from Poole . Too old school. always moaning, on the phone to the ref almost every race about something or other. Holder seems to have stamped his personality on the Poole side. He seems to lead from the front and the riders follow his example. I don't think they pay a lot of attention to anything Muddlo says. He really is like an old woman these days'.

Just my opinion but I have seen most of them at work at close quarters.

And you see Neil work at close quarters every week do you. ? I dont believe you.

Best manager in the league by a mile. Knows what to say and when to say it, as a rule just lets the boys get on with it, unless he needs to advise. No soapbox no ranting and raving. Ive only seen Neil raise his voice once..

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Pete Adams is a million miles ahead

Infact Muddlo is one of the worst.. looks better because he has the best riders to work with

You to can have the best riders to work with, if other promotions can be bothered...

And you see Neil work at close quarters every week do you. ? I dont believe you.

I didn't say I see him every week. Read it again.

I didn't say I see him every week. Read it again.

So you dont know how Neil works, do you..

Someone who knows the rules inside out which makes the theories of Pythagoras look easy.

I would also say knowing a riders mental strengths and weaknesses is pretty key.

There is a huge list as well that most fans probably do not think off.

IF a rider is weak at a certain track can a manager leave him out and get a guest? Would it be called cheating or a good decision by the manager

IF a rider is weak at a certain track can a manager leave him out and get a guest? Would it be called cheating or a good decision by the manager

Thankfully no . if riders could be picked up and put down , I guarantee some of them would be left to do all the travelling , while others would always "do better " on tracks close to their homes ,

• Like 2

So you dont know how Neil works, do you..

Yes, seen a fair bit of him, probably a lot more than you, as I don't go round selling comics. Not in the same bracket as Phil Morris, Kelvin and Mark Lemon. Just my opinion, you don't have to accept it, but the younger guys are much more on the ball than the old school, from what I have seen.

Ask Middlo.

why? so he can give us the long list of managers who are better

Best manager in the league by a mile. Knows what to say and when to say it, as a rule just lets the boys get on with it, unless he needs to advise. No soapbox no ranting and raving. Ive only seen Neil raise his voice once..

lol best manager by a mile? do you know anything. Pete Adams is so far ahead Middlo cant even see him!!

Take Middlo away from Poole he would flounder, as proved when he failed with Team GB. Even Rosco is ahead of Middlo

If you checked out the riders who rode for all the best team managers, & then check the greatest percentage of improvement per rider then I think Neil Street would come out on top. Neil had the eye to spot talent & then knew how to improve & develop that talent. Just a few names: Crump, Boyce, Wigg, Nicholls, Scolfield, NKI.

Spot on, Middlo not even close to that great man

Pete Adams is a million miles ahead

spot on as well. The speedway world knows he is miles ahead but you have blue tints on here

I dont think so..

your wrong

Infact Muddlo is one of the worst.. looks better because he has the best riders to work with

He has the best riders and this year mucked it up. He isnt bad but to say he is the best is a joke

why? so he can give us the long list of managers who are better

lol best manager by a mile? do you know anything. Pete Adams is so far ahead Middlo cant even see him!!

Take Middlo away from Poole he would flounder, as proved when he failed with Team GB. Even Rosco is ahead of Middlo

Spot on, Middlo not even close to that great man

spot on as well. The speedway world knows he is miles ahead but you have blue tints on here

your wrong

He has the best riders and this year mucked it up. He isnt bad but to say he is the best is a joke

Wow. You've got it bad today, Gav. :wink: