British Speedway Forum

Workington 2017

with a bit of luck and some teasing of the team averages . mason will start in the position where he finished in 2016. at number 6 and patterning matt at 7 . hoping fpr no 2/3 pointers .

well happy wid that yan marra .

What pattern is he gonna put Matt in at 7?? :P:P

Must admit I dont see the fascination with Campton, even on an attractive average there is nothing to suggest anything other than another average season. Hopefully for Workington 2017 will be the season Campton returns the faith in him shown by the Comets promotion.

• Like 2

I actually think thats a good signing on his average.

that could be copy/pasted from every season he has come over

come on lets get all the digs in at mason early

IF he rides next season like he finished this 1 im sure he will get noticed

happy to oblige 😉😛
  • Like 1

All I can say is dear me.

Is he really improving? ... not sure his averages back it up. On 24/03/16 he was assessed as a 5.00 rider by 08/11/16 he had an actual average of 4.67. If he's at reserve he'll do OK but then he'll move into the team and more than likely repeat last seasons woeful scores especially away from home (see my previous post). I'm all for "wait and see how he does" ... but haven't we been doing that long enough now? OK he perked up around Derwent Park at the end of the season ...but why does it take a season before he starts looking quick on his home track? His away form is one of the reasons we ended up mid table ... sheesh.

In my view this is a poor poor signing ... The other 4 signings need to be very good to avoid a distinctly mediocre team for 2017

• Like 1

All I can say is dear me.

Is he really improving? ... not sure his averages back it up. On 24/03/16 he was assessed as a 5.00 rider by 08/11/16 he had an actual average of 4.67. If he's at reserve he'll do OK but then he'll move into the team and more than likely repeat last seasons woeful scores especially away from home (see my previous post). I'm all for "wait and see how he does" ... but haven't we been doing that long enough now? OK he perked up around Derwent Park at the end of the season ...but why does it take a season before he starts looking quick on his home track? His away form is one of the reasons we ended up mid table ... sheesh.

In my view this is a poor poor signing ... The other 4 signings need to be very good to avoid a distinctly mediocre team for 2017

I agree I am also disappointed with this signing however I understand the promotions decision bringing him back for one more go. If he gets dialled in from word go there will be no one slagging him off regardless as to wether he scores points or not. Last season in some meetings he was not on the pace others he was, if he can get some consistency then we will see the real mason campton. If he doesn't start hitting the ground running the promotion need to send him packing as hard as it is to say. There's gonna be allot of pressure on his shoulders he best live up to expectations otherwise he's gonna get a slagged off which is not what anybody wants to see. All the best Mason and I really hope this is your season - prove to all the doubters that you can do the job.

I agree ... it's now up to Mason to show he's a 6.00+ rider (which imo is where he should already be ... now). The evidence so far (average of 4.67) after the number of matches he's worn a Comets race jacket does not suggest he'll be "ripping trees up" but this is speedway and it's up to him. Once again to prove the doubters wrong (and I am definetley one of those) he needs broadly to achieve the following on average in his meetings:-

3rd, 3rd ,3rd ,3rd ... so assuming 50% of the time the rider finishing 2nd is a Comet then his scores become:-

1, 1+1, 1, 1+1 = 4+2(4)

Campton should be achieving that imo. OK I know he'll more than likely score 8's at home and 4's away IF (BIG IF) he is to get to 6.00. If he can do this then he is a "relative" success ... any less than that then we should be looking elsewhere very quickly. I don't believe this measurement is too high for him as he's seen all Premier league tracks (or whatever we're calling it now) ... he is not a new/young rider starting out ... he is experienced/23yrs old. Should we organise the team where he is a reserve then he needs to be banging in big scores home AND away

• Like 1

Sadly there's nothing to excite me so far in the signings announced by Workington...a pity as it's my nearest track and I was looking forward to attending more meetings next year now that my son is a little older.

If the other signings are in the same vein another season of mid-table mediocrity awaits.

Not been particularly inspired by the signings so far, just going to hope the rest are the main course we're all really waiting for that can change the fortunes of the Comets next year after several false dawns? :sad:

For me there is a distinct whiff of same old, same old developing here which, considering last season, is not a good sign, too many of the same ramblings about "improving averages" from riders who should be improved/improving already but, once here, always seems a struggle to do exactly that, maybe for Campton he should buy a couple of engines from Ricky Wells as that was the only time he ever scored any points and showed that "he could" actually ride against and beat some of the better riders, has to happen early doors tho, cant afford to fail again? :oops:

Will look forward to the next exciting installment of the Comets team building plans with interest!! :t:

with all the cash that the glasgow promotion threw at riders , they should have cruised the league in 2016 .but all they did was win one ko cup and lost shed loads of money by paying top dollar to riders .

how long can that carry on for ? me , i would rather have speedway on a regular bases and support it while its still there . its an entertaining sport and needs to be looked after .

fans grumbling about riders that have been signed already . they arnt fans . just man u supporters and they dont run it ... win at all cost, even if it puts your home town club into bankruptcy .

hopefully , we will have 14.80 approx to fit in the last 2 riders .. do the math thing .

• Like 1

Sadly there's nothing to excite me so far in the signings announced by Workington...a pity as it's my nearest track and I was looking forward to attending more meetings next year now that my son is a little older.

If the other signings are in the same vein another season of mid-table mediocrity awaits.

Think TJ will be a big player in the league this season if he can avoid injury.Googd signing IMO .
  • Like 4

Just want to say that I am a fan (yeah I was at the first ever Comets match) and at no point have I said or implied we need to "spend more" on other riders. My question is whether Mason warrants a place in the Comets team on merit/performance that he's shown to date. There may be "cheaper" riders out there on a similar average there may be "more expensive" riders out there on the same average ... who knows? There may even be more cost effective riders out there who are way better than Mason ... again who knows. Just because I challenge his capability does not mean I've said spend more .... nor should that be deduced.

Working to a budget is essential ... I would never question that and I would never advocate spending for the sake of it to get a "big" team together. If the Comets Mgt believe Mason is good value ... fair play to them ... time will tell whether he's successful in the team by way of scoring points.

• Like 1