British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne 2017

Alex2000

From the Eastbourne website:

Eagles: 1 Knight, 2 R/R for Wood, 3 Bailey, 4 Powell, 5 Brennan, 6 Saunders, 7 Bates.

Warriors: 1 Cockle, 2 Widman, 3 Wilson, 4 Campos, 5 Coles, 6 Sealey, 7 Bursill.

Many thanks. Couldn't see this, the only bit I could find was the preview giving riders in alphabetical order.

Any idea what happened to Georgie Wood last night?

Due to ride for Sheffield but was replaced with a young Rookie. Has he picked up an injury or did he breakdown on route?

Josh Bailey surprised me last night after last week struggling to come to terms with Arlington he was excellent. Having watched him ride so well at IOW on Thursday (what a super track that is, some of the best racing I have seen for some time) a large track, it looks like he could well be a big contributor both home and away in the play off's.

With Charley Powell, who also looked good on Thursday, improving rapidly we could just be a threat to Belle Vue now.

Apparently Charlie Saunders broke down on the way last night,

Kent, Eastbourne, Lakeside, Belle Vue they have all become a fortress even to the extent of Mildenhall until last weekend.

Playoffs are interesting but i have a feeling that Eastbourne could do it, just need to get the results from the next home meetings just to nudge us up the table to the top if we are lucky.

Edited by firstbendbunch

Kent, Eastbourne, Lakeside, Belle Vue they have all become a fortress even to the extent of Mildenhall until last weekend.

Playoffs are interesting but i have a feeling that Eastbourne could do it, just need to get the results from the next home meetings just to nudge us up the table to teh top if we are lucky.

I think the next two Saturdays will be tough, all three opponents are in with a great chance of the play off and I wonder what the thinking is behind changing the fixtures. Now the double header is Mildenhall/Kent on 16th instead of Lakeside/Mildenhall on the 9th.

This means Josh Bailey misses one match and Georgie Wood two instead of the other way round and suitable guests very limited with the better riders already booked. All I can see is Tom Bacon for Josh and nobody up to Georgie at Arlington so it may not take much for the home record to go. They may even go r/r on Saturday for Josh giving Jake and Georgie an extra ride but making them weaker overall against the three Lakeside heat leaders.

An interesting six weeks ahead with Plymouth in the cup anxious to overturn the two hammerings they had early season.

Despite the tough run of fixtures i still think Eastbourne can finish top and get first choice of opponents / opponents to avoid. matches against Kent, Mildenhall & Lakeside who are the likeliest play off place finishers will give a good indication on who they may like to pick / avoid?

Start time is 7pm for the Mildenhall / Kent double header hope everything runs smoothly as this looks like being a bumper double meeting and would be a shame for it to be spoiled with delays etc

Edited by Sings4Speedway

• 3 weeks later...

Well after my holiday and missing the double header and the away match at Belle Vue its time to step up another gear.

Lets start with the KO Cup semi final. Thats going to be a little bit harder then it was at the start of the year but with Roynan not being at Eastbourne for a few years will give us the edge, Boxhall is always good at Arlington but i think he is no match for our top riders.

Easy win overall by 15 points to the Eagles.

Kent is the match we are looking forward too, We knocked them out the KO Cup at the start of the year so we need to do something again, Sid also thinks we are going to win at Kent as he pointed out that we won at at night meeting but all the other time was have been there have been bank holiday and lost.

Roll on the play offs.

Eastbourne to beat Kent and go to meet Lakeside in the final. :) all local to us.

Must admit I am feeling all a bit dejected at the moment.

I use to be accused of being Mr Positive on this and other forums but well, I am down!

First, I feel our form is a bit down at the moment. We don't look unbeatable over two legs anymore and some of the riders are a bit hit and miss.

The reserve pairing could be great, depending on what Mattie does and what rider/guest we have (do we even have an 'official' number 6?) or they could score next to nothing!

Will we even go to the playoff meetings with out top three, or will other teams get the first call on them in clashes (that really winds me up!)

Then the beating by Kent at home was a real blow for me. Being beaten at home by the team we are likely to meet in the semis (now confirmed) so close to the play offs was a real kick.in the teeth.

Then there is the crazy situation of the cut off date and us having one natch remaining, that we could win...and put us top. I totally get being penalised if you fail to run all your home matches but not the away ones! Even worse, we could win the match before the play offs, be top of the league but not get the choice of semi final team. Madness.

So, personally, I think we are going to be beaten in the semis by Kent and thats the end of the season, so near but so far for the third year running.

Sorry for the negativity but at least feeling like this, it can only get better than I think.

2 home meetings is a strange ban. If you're banning him, why is he allowed to do away meetings?

Its a very odd ban. I guess its so that both the KO cup & play offs are equally affected?

I can't quite decide how i feel about it because on one hand im certain Jake could have borrowed an engine considering the resources available at Eastbourne which makes me think he withdrew because he didn't fancy his chances on an unflavoured engine.

On the flip side he could have turned up with any old motor completed one ride then pulled out & prevented a ban so im not sure how its a deterrent to others?

Perhaps the qualifying format needs looking at? All clubs to nominate a rider (rather than the number 1 at X date) plus wild cards or just the top 16 in the averages at a certain point with the next down the list etc if riders cannot attend due to a certified reason

• Like 1

Its a very odd ban. I guess its so that both the KO cup & play offs are equally affected?

I can't quite decide how i feel about it because on one hand im certain Jake could have borrowed an engine considering the resources available at Eastbourne which makes me think he withdrew because he didn't fancy his chances on an unflavoured engine.

On the flip side he could have turned up with any old motor completed one ride then pulled out & prevented a ban so im not sure how its a deterrent to others?

Perhaps the qualifying format needs looking at? All clubs to nominate a rider (rather than the number 1 at X date) plus wild cards or just the top 16 in the averages at a certain point with the next down the list etc if riders cannot attend due to a certified reason

I don't suppose he'd thought he'd get a ban by not riding, but what I really want to know is what flavour his engine normally is! Edited by gazzac

I don't suppose he'd thought he'd get a ban by not riding, but what I really want to know is what flavour his engine normally is!

LOL stupid auto spell. By the success Jake has had this season id imagine his engine us usually pretty sweet.

As for the ban i suspect you are right and he didn't think he would receive one and it does seem a bit petty given that other riders have gotten away with similar/worse offences this year.

I feel it would have made more sense to issue a statement at the start of next season saying any rider who withdraws from the NLRC must have a certified reason.

• Like 1

Maybe that has something to do with

Calling meetings off for dubious reasons. I'm an Arlington regular, and always felt the club was walking a tightrope as far as the authorities were concerned. When the recent home match with lakeside was run on a saturated track, it does seem to be a horses for courses attitude.

Edited by cityrebel