British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2017

cityrebel

If Lakeside are allowed to jump 2 leagues because they fancy it then that makes the whole sport an even bigger joke, and the whole of the 2017 season has meant nothing. Cook should be rounded up with another half dozen or so dodgy promoters and stripped of any licences they hold.

Lakeside have always had dire crowds and the are not going to improve now.

Jon Cook clearly thinks he is bigger then the sport, and it won't wash for me.

If Lakeside are allowed to jump 2 leagues because they fancy it then that makes the whole sport an even bigger joke, and the whole of the 2017 season has meant nothing. Cook should be rounded up with another half dozen or so dodgy promoters and stripped of any licences they hold.

So what is the issue with another team bolstering the numbers of the top league!!!

Surely the more teams coming to the tapes the better...you have a really blinkered and narrow minded view teaboy :nono:

It doesn't. The nature of Speedway here is that teams ride in the league they can (at least try to) sustain racing in. With leagues built to differing strengths then it is unlikely that a second tier team would actually win their two legged play-off. So basically it's no more than two token meetings. If there was straight up and down relegation then fine, there's no reason there shouldn't be if promotion and relegation are to be persisted with but then that should also encompass the standalone NL sides really.

As a Rye fan, Lakeside in the top flight too gives us a local derby which is fine by me.

But it was ok for them to drop two leagues?

You got their before me...was just going to post that but read the thread first.

It was a similar situation to that Eastbourne, where their Elite League licence was put on ice for a year while they went NL.

Of course, we now know that Eastbourne didn't go back to EL racing.

As a second point, people complain about Jon Cook not communicating. Putting stuff in the Speedway Star has to be a good start, surely. Put it on the club's website, as they appear to have done....what else do people want? A personal visit to their home from Jon Cook to inform them?

That's what it appears like.

Speedway fans have a habit of complaining that they are kept in the dark when the story is on the club website and often been picked up by the media.

Good post. As has been said many times before, half the trouble is people not reading things properly, or not reading them at all then complaining they were never informed.

Congratulations though to Mr Alfie Bowtell, seventh in the NL riders championship. Great improvement from him this season.

May be I was a bit harsh on the lack of communication its only that

I do the club and suppose needed to know it is safe and moving to new premises

by the sound of it happy days. re the playoff on Friday decent guest at no 1 and should

take a lead to belle vue next week.and lets hope all the moaning minnies on here

turn up on Friday an put their money where their mouths are COYH.

You know the fact BT Sport are going to show the promotion/relegation play off makes me wonder if they are taking it that seriously then its not going to look good on them if next year they have to explain how other teams have leapfrogged there way into the top division without earning it.

I want the Hammers racing at a higher level but it must not be at the expence of destroying the sports credability anymore than it already has.

I would be happy with the second division and loose derbies with Ipswich and continue the progression of riders like Ben, Zach and Alfie.

• Like 2

I think plenty of the fans would be happy with a competitive championship league with its regular racing and reduced costs all round.compared to the1st division,,.i think Cook is and always was interested only in Premier league racing and why he appeared to show little interest in the National league this year

Edited by waco

In my view Speedway is not best suited to a promotion/relegation scenario. The cost of participating varies widely across the three levels and each promotion has to decide which financial scenario best suits their pockets. Not much point in being promoted and going bust as a result!

• Like 1

I am all for a big north and south regional league ,,With the top teams facing one another for the championship,,i really think it is the way to go to save british speedway

I am all for a big north and south regional league ,,With the top teams facing one another for the championship,,i really think it is the way to go to save british speedway

The danger is that the North will be the Championship + Belle Vue & the South will be the Premiership + P'boro/Ippo. Whilst logistics would be a lot easier & attract travelling supporters there is a danger that the mentality of the stronger / more experienced at higher level clubs could strangle the other sides?

I am talking about one big league built to the same points limit. ,then split into north and south sections with a play off featuring the top two in each section.....the team strengths being between championship and premier level..

Edited by waco

• 2 weeks later...

So Lakeside don't make the final.

Therefore, I wonder what the minimum 14th Home Meeting (as promised by the Promotion pre-season) is going to be?

Over to you Jon Cook and Kelvin Tatum.

P.S. Has anyone got Facebook, etc. to ask them?

I am talking about one big league built to the same points limit. ,then split into north and south sections with a play off featuring the top two in each section.....the team strengths being between championship and premier level..

The trouble is there are not enough riders to go round in one big league, unless there is doubling up with certain riders riding in both leagues, which of course would be a nonsense but doubling up between the two present leagues doesn't make a great deal of sense anyway.

In principle I like the idea of two leagues, North and South, with the top two in each league contesting the play offs but there are a lot of details to be sorted out including race nights. It's pretty clear the difference between Premier and Chapionship leagues is getting narrower all the time probably with a view to combining the two, but we'll have to see what happens at the AGM. What is clear is that we have probably seen the end of highly paid foreign stars, not that there were many left anyway