British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2017

cityrebel

Lakeside Hammers Speedway Press Release Hammers v Kent Kings Preview

Fans favourite Paul Hurry will be back in Hammers colours on Friday – seven years after he last rode for the club (First race 8pm).

Lakeside host Kent at The Arena Essex Raceway in the second leg of the Tunnel Trophy – in which they hold a 46-43 aggregate lead after Monday’s victory at Central Park.

With Zach Wajtknecht on SGB Premiership duty with Swindon, the Vortex Lakeside Hammers have opted to use 42-year-old Hurry in the No.5 position.

He said: “It’s going to be a great occasion and I really cannot wait! I’ve been through a hell of a lot but I’ve always stayed pretty close to the sport.

I’m definitely no stranger to The Raceway and I’ve been getting a few laps in.

Kent are a pretty solid side so it should be a great meeting for the fans to come and watch.

I’m just going to enjoy the night – but of course I’d love to get a good score and help the team win as well!”

The Hammers look set to welcome back George Hunter after sitting out of Monday’s first leg. They will also hand Jamie Couzins another opportunity to impress at reserve after a solid showing in the away fixture earlier this week.

Kent include experienced campaigners Luke Bowen and Ben Hopwood as well as 2017 British Under-21 finalist Nathan Stoneman.

There will also be six junior races prior to the start of the main event, with the youngsters expected to take to the track around 7.30.

Vortex Lakeside Hammers

Ben Morley, George Hunter, David Mason, Alfie Bowtell, Paul Hurry, Jamie Couzins, Nick Laurence.

Kent Kings

Luke Bowen, Luke Clifton, Ben Hopwood, Jack Thomas, Nathan Stoneman, Bradley Andrews, Alex Spooner.

Looks like a close call to me fro Friday. The Hammers did well to win Monday and the reserves will decide the result again. Hope that the M25 traffic

doesn't affect the crowd, but at least the roadworks at Junc 30 are complete. Believe that Paul Hurry will ride for us....wouldn't be allowed in a league match

so will Kent object when they arrive ? Can't see anyone beating him. Does anyone know if Stoneman is fit to ride for Kent ?

It is just a challenge meeting and gives the less than thoroughly familiar with the track more competitive racing experience there.

Agreed. It is just a challenge match and thre is a lack of decent heatleaders in the NL. It's. Not as if Hurry is doing some quality youngster out of a worthwhile ride, and although we wouldn't want it on a regular basis it's going to be far better for the crowd than to have r/r or some inadequate guest.

I do agree though that with Hurrys injury record he must be mad, but that's a decision for him.

"There will be junior races prior to the meeting"

I thought the idea was they are all juniors at this level.

There have been 'old hands' at this level for as long as I can remember.

Wasn't denying that Tony, but this level has always been referred to as the junior league regardless of the age of the participants.

Some of those "juniors" will very soon be in full teams, so will they suddenly be no longer juniors just because they are in a team?

Wasn't denying that Tony, but this level has always been referred to as the junior league regardless of the age of the participants.

Some of those "juniors" will very soon be in full teams, so will they suddenly be no longer juniors just because they are in a team?

This is a very pedantic argument. The juniors before the meeting will have all been teenagers with some not even at the league racing minimum age yet. They're actually kids and aren't yet at league standard.

This is a very pedantic argument. The juniors before the meeting will have all been teenagers with some not even at the league racing minimum age yet. They're actually kids and aren't yet at league standard.

Jason Edwards and the other Jason had some good races before the meeting tonight and Iam pretty sure they was quicker times than the reserve race. I was impressed with both of them.